Important information about Auria and iOS7

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Important information about Auria and iOS7

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:57 pm

iOS7 becomes available tomorrow, and I wanted to fill you in on our testing:

We've discovered a few bugs which affect the way Auria (and other apps) run under iOS7. We have made changes to Auria to work around these bugs and will submit an update to Apple in the coming week, but my recommendation is not to update to iOS7 until Auria 1.130 becomes available.

The main issue we've found is related to graphics speed. There's a bug in the way iOS 7 handles certain graphics, and Auria's editor is affected. It results in a slower update speed, so you many notice that the editor takes longer to respond. Also, due to iOS7's "flat" graphics scheme, a few of Auria's buttons are less visible against the background, making them harder to see.

We've already found workarounds for all these issues, and will be submitting an updated version of Auria (1.130) soon.

Thanks,
Rim

mtingle
Expert

Re: Important information about Auria and iOS7

Post by mtingle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:09 am

the devs at Audiobus are recommending not updating to iOS 7 for people who use music apps:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/1999/ ... ios-7-wait

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:19 am

Our testing has found that iOS7 has really improved in terms of audio. For example, we've had no issues at all with using USB devices under iOS7. We couldn't get it to crash once, even after repeated plugging and unplugging of USB devices in various combinations. It seems they've gotten it right with this version in terms of audio.

However, there's a bug in iOS7 which affects GUI performance when scrolling. Since Auria uses an editor that scrolls, it's affected by this bug. We've been able to find an effective workaround, and Auria 1.130 will solve this issue.

I should also note that there is apparently an issue in iOS7 concerning interruptions to the audio session (phone calls, alarms), but since iPads don't have a phone, they're rarely affected by this bug. You may have heard about this being discussed in the Audiobus forums. We feel iOS7 works well in terms of audio on an iPad.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:47 am

I wasn't thinking only of Auria, though of course it's excellent that Auria is working well if not better with iOS7. It was more about all the other music apps that people use in conjunction with Auria (synths, audiobus, samplers etc). They may find their general music environment not working so well.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:55 am

We've found that the general audio environment was stable, but of course time will tell.

Rim

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:51 am

Rim seems a lot of music app being updated today for iOS 7, hope we don't got to wait to long for Auria.Apple might give you a quick approval if you submit for iOS 7 optimization

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 am

We're pretty close to submitting. But I doubt it'll be a quick review ;) Apple's review queue seems overloaded with all the reviews coming in.

Rim

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 am

On the Amplitude update it says support for iOS 7 only
Inter App Audio Support does this mean Audiobus maybe a thing of the past or am I got it wrong
Any1 know

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 pm

On a related note, Apple is going to allow updating to devices of older iOS's, so you will be able to download compatible previous versions of apps for your old iPad 1st gen etc.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Please see our other post regarding inter-app audio support in Auria:

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11079

Inter-app audio will allow you to use your favorite audio apps inside Auria without needing any additional software.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Rim:

Since Auria is my main DAW, I'll obviously follow Wavemachine Labs recommendations first and foremost. I'm gonna be on an iPad 2 until I can get my hands on the iPad 5 hopefully this year. Anyway, as I understand it the CPU isn't really affected that much (or?). But have you guys done any testing when it comes to the RAM (iPad 2 only having 512mb, iOS 7 having all the extra lulul graphics etc)? I can take a minor hit to the ram I guess, but Auria and stability obviously come first.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Chris,

Our testing has shown that when running Auria on an iPad2/mini under iOS7, it has the same amount of free RAM as iOS6 (68MB free when running the Approach demo song), and nothing else running in the background.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks Rim, well that sounds good. I'd thought it would have atleast a minor impact, seems like Apple did some great work on optimizing it.

The current render bug, is it a "do NOT update until 1.13 if you wanna be able to make music with Auria without getting an aneurism", or "still kinda doable until 1.13 hits as long as you chillax" thing on iPad 2? (Lol sorry, I just love the new OS on the iPhone, and it seems like it's an iOS that will make much more sense on the bigger tablet with regards to the multitasking handling amongst other things, making it feel more like a proper computer) :o

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:39 pm

It works fine with 1.12. The editor scrolling is just slower. We've actually found that it affects iPad 3 worse than the rest. So on an iPad 2, it's not much slower than iOS6.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Great. Well, I think I'm gonna update the iPad tomorrow then. Unless someone shouts not to.

Thanks again!