Auria introduces Inter-app Audio support!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

martygras
Expert

Re: Auria introduces Inter-app Audio support!

Post by martygras » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm seeing reports to the contrary regarding quantity of nodes usable simultaneously.

Here's a post over at Dischord
Although not as flexible as Audiobus' multiple app chains - IAA is limited to one app going into only one other app - nor as modular as JACK, this is definitely an impressive new way of connecting music apps!

Correction: Apparently I still don't have my head around all of what IAA is capable of! Nave developer Rolf Wöhrmann commented here with a correction:

"The host can [have] as many node apps involve as he likes. You could even build an AudioBus-like host app which chains 3 nodes together. You could a DAW-like thing. Or you could implement a JACK-like network of node apps orchestrated by the host app. The only limit is your imagination, and of course the CPU/RAM power."

There seems to be a lot of confusion out there.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:37 pm

@martygras, my guess is this is exactly what the Audiobus team is up to right now.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:15 pm

boone51 wrote:@martygras, my guess is this is exactly what the Audiobus team is up to right now.
Good point Boone51. This is all still very exciting.
I have been having trouble understanding why Apple would release a feature, and not provide any official documentation on how it's supposed to be used, or how to use it. (i.e. what it can and cannot do)

At first it sounded like something to allow people to play along to their iTunes.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:40 pm

As far as we're able to tell (due to lack of documentation), IAA only allows one instance of any app at a time. If someone can prove otherwise, I'd love to know about it!

For example, in an Auria project, I can insert Magellan and Nave, but I can't have two Naves. This is because Apple only allows one instance of an app running on your iPad. You can't run Nave twice on your iPad, for example.

Rim

Sinapsya
Expert

Post by Sinapsya » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:26 am

But I think the problem is of Nave, because if Nave is bought to run 2 instance of his, I think it run...
For example: Alchemy have 4 synths engine, if it make 4 separate output you can run 4 separate instances of Alchemy in 4 separate tracks of Auria...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:09 am

Sure, but there's no mechanism for doing this in inter-app right now.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:50 am

well,i'm totally fine with"just"one instance of every supported music app.think about what we had just one year ago :wink:
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Br8zinn
Expert

Post by Br8zinn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 am

Wow,I'm excited about this,I just hope it won't be taxing on memory and latency and bugs.so I'll stick with what works still,until I see more apps tag along so to speak and run smoothly with it all.hmm...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:03 pm

I agree. I think until Apple adds multiple instance support and parameters/automation, Auria's native plugins will be a lot more useful.

However - for recording instrument apps into Auria, interapp is really useful as is. It really can't get much easier to record an instrument.

Rim

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:56 am

I somehow have a feeling that multiple instances of the same app - no matter if standalone or via IAA - won't be coming too soon... I assume the whole OS architecture is made around the "One app - one instance" concept and a lot of changes would have to be made by Apple at a low level, for something that is a total niche use.

I think the more probable thing to happen is that synth apps simply introduce good old Multimode and IAA several channels.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Will it be possible with IAA to send a tracks signal from Auria and send it to an app like a Reverb and route that signal back into Auria with the reverb added? In other words using an effect app as a plugin for Auria. If this became possible than almost every audio app could potentially be used as a plug in for Auria. I know I can do this in Audiobus but to do this within Auria and opening just the single effect app I need would be cool. Not that I actually need too many more FX in Auria. Years ago I finally gave up being a gear junkie but now I'm just a plugin junkie. Cheers.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:20 pm

Anthony, yes that's the way IAA works. They show up in the Auria plugin list, so you can use them like normal plugins.

Rim

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, Rim, but that answer really confuses me. So in the scenario Anthony laid out, the reverb app would have to be coded to be a host and a node for IAA, right? You'd have to tie the signal OUT of Auria into Reverb somehow, right? Will be really happy when we can get our hands on it and lift some of the mystery from IAA for all of us.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:42 pm

An IAA-capable app (or node, as Apple calls them) can be either an effect or an instrument. If it's an effect, it has both an input and an output, so you can insert it into Auria (as if it were a built-in plugin), and it'll function that way. If it's an instrument only (like a synth for example), when you insert it onto a track (using the plugin list as before), it'll only output audio. Anything you send to it will be ignored.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Ok so this is very exciting news. Thanks Rim. Cheers.