ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Lee B
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Lee B » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:40 am

I thought that mixing down to MP3, created a WAV first and then converted it?
I'm sure I used to end up with a WAV and MP3 of the same mixdown in the Audio folder, but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Is it something that changed in an update or am I imagining it?
Also, is there a way to upload to Soundcloud after the initial Mixdown if not selected at the time?

Cheers

Lee

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 am

Auria does generate a WAV file as a side effect of making an MP3, but previous versions of Auria forgot to delete that WAV file afterwards. I guess you were depending on a bug ;) The only way to upload to Sound Cloud is to do a new mixdown. But you can just solo the track you want to send to SC, and Mix that down.

Rim

Lee B
Expert

Post by Lee B » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks Rim for clarifying that. Glad i'm not going round the bend.

Cheers

Lee

Manimpretty
Expert

Post by Manimpretty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:46 am

I'm mixing it down as a wav.

Brandon.
Brandon.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:56 pm

OK, if you're mixing down as a WAV, then Auria is definitely not adding or subtracting anything from your mix. What you hear when you press play in Auria is what you're going to hear when you play the resulting WAV file from the mixdown. Can you tell me a bit more about how you're hearing a difference? Are you playing back the mixed WAV file somewhere else? Perhaps using a different set of speakers or headphones? This can make a huge difference.

Rim

Manimpretty
Expert

Post by Manimpretty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:52 pm

I really don't think it's software related, auria is awesome. It's when I listen on my studio monitors or mixing headphones it sounds good, but when I listen on my home stereo or in the car it sounds way harsher in the high end. I believe it's a mixing/EQ problem. I've had this happen in the low end and was able to fairly easily fix it by eliminating unwanted lows from the mix. It seems no matter what I try it's either to harsh or too dull. I'm just wondering if this is common and if there's anyone with some advice on a direction to take.

Thanks
Brandon.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Mixing and mastering in a small studio is always challenging. If your mixing room isn't treated with Acoustical foam than many frequencies can get over or under hyped. This also depends on your speaker choice or headphone choice. The bottom line is you will need to take into account all the various listening devices that your track may play back on. This element of your audio is the last one. Typically you will mix your tracks to be clear, evenly ballanced and each track sounding the way you want it. Try to leave your main stereo buss empty of plugins. Use minimum compression durring the mixing stage. Leave lots of headroom in your mixdown to allow headroom for mastering tools. Assign all your tracks to one buss for even volume reduction but leave the master fader at unity (0 db). Once your happy with your mix and ballance then mix that down into stereo. Now you begin the mastering process which is not rocket science or black magic but rather it is exactly what your fighting. Mastering is simply mixing ( eq, compression, limiters ect. ) your master to sound the best that it can across many listening platforms from earbuds to cars and home stereos and you can only mix this within the realistic confines of your studio and gear. You can only do what you can with what you have but if it's any consolation you have more tools just in Auria for mastering audio than was available to the engineers who developed this process. Remember mastering is not mixing, mastering is fixing. If your track sounds good on most systems then it's mastered. As well not even pro mastered audio can sound great across all listening devices so most mastering engineers shoot for whats more popular like earbuds,cars and iPods. Good luck. Cheers.~~_/)~~~

Manimpretty
Expert

Post by Manimpretty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks Anthony, Great advice. I think I may be over compressing throughout the mixin stage. Im going to go back and rework some tracks and leave them a little more natural. Auria has so many great plugins I think I get carried away! I like the idea of sending everything to a single bus prior to the main as well.
Should I get carried away with EQ ing each track say in a drum mix or bus it and eq as a whole?
Thanks.
Brandon.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Manimpretty wrote:Thanks Anthony, Great advice. I think I may be over compressing throughout the mixin stage. Im going to go back and rework some tracks and leave them a little more natural. Auria has so many great plugins I think I get carried away! I like the idea of sending everything to a single bus prior to the main as well.
Should I get carried away with EQ ing each track say in a drum mix or bus it and eq as a whole?
Thanks.
No problem. I usually eq the drum tracks seperately then to a buss were I do any final eq'ing and add my compressor in stereo. Use this buss to apply all your stereo FX on the drums. Cheers and your right you must fight with yourself not to use too many plugins. Challenge yourself to have a clear idea of the sound you want before recording and you will find that you will use less plugins. Cheers.~~_/)~~~.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Another school of thought says: If you plan on compressing your mix for a thick rock or r&b type sound, put the compressor on the mix buss immediately. That way there are no surprises when you get to the end. It can be very hard to take an 'open' mix and compress it at the end and still have it sound natural, even with multiband compression. Talking about compression as an effect here ala tape saturation, not light program compression and not omgkillitallmakeitlouderomg absurd level smashing.

GlassBee

Post by GlassBee » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:48 am

Hi, new member, new to auria and to be honest new to recording on anything other than a tascam digital 8 track, so very much a rookie.

I'm in the process of experimenting with auria and have tried interfacing with a lexicon omega soundcard which I believe is supposed to be quite compatible with ipad/auria.

But when recording through mic or line in I seem to get a horrible squeal which at first I thought was just just while monitoring but it does appear on the recorded track.

I am wondering if this is just the way I am setting up the soundcard or if the soundcard is not as compatible as I thought and maybe I need to purchase a more ipad friendly interface like the io dock.

Any help or opinion would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Colin.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi Collin. Sorry, I'm not sure the answer but you might have better luck getting help by posting a new thread in the Audio Interfaces section of the forum here http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

Deblue

Post by Deblue » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:54 pm

Hello,

I see you selling JamUp as Plug in,

I m already user of Jam up and I m wondering can I use it like a Plug in without purchasing it again.Or just audiobus option for me?

Thanks

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Deblue wrote:Hello,

I see you selling JamUp as Plug in,

I m already user of Jam up and I m wondering can I use it like a Plug in without purchasing it again.Or just audiobus option for me?

Thanks
For now, it's either Audiobus or re-buy it inside of Auria. This is ultimately up to the Jam Up crew, not Wave Machine Labs. As evidenced by the Sugar Bytes effects, it's possible to simply enable the plugin within Auria when Auria sees that it's already installed on your iPad. That's a decision Sugar Bytes made and Positive Grid would have to make the same decision. I think I recall a post on here where Rim said he mentioned the possibility to Positive Grid. Not sure if anything has come of it.

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Having studied the (somewhat obsolete) Auria User Guide extensively, I still can not figure out how to apply an effect (reverb) to a region and not to an entire track. Please help.