Can you add a Tape Saturation Plugin?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Sinapsya
Expert

Can you add a Tape Saturation Plugin?

Post by Sinapsya » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:17 am

Hi Rim,
Do you think in future to add a Tape Recorder type Saturation plugin like Waves J37 emulation?

Cheers

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Can you add a Tape Saturation Plugin?

Post by Rim » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:22 am

It's of course up to third party developers. If you know of a developer who has a good one, let them know about Auria.

Rim

Sinapsya
Expert

Post by Sinapsya » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:41 am

I just write 'Waves J37': http://www.waves.com/plugins/j37-tape

Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machines: http://www.slatedigital.com/products/vtm

Waves Kramer Master Tape: http://www.waves.com/plugins/kramer-master-tape

Is the most powerful...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:07 am

OK, please e-mail them and ask them that you want them to write an Auria version. We don't take any percentages or royalties, and we allow any developer to make an Auria version.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:17 am

Fabfilters plugin Saturn is exactly that a tape/Tube saturation effect. I use it all the time for this purpose and so do many other pro engineers. PsP audioware' Micro Warmer is also a tape emulation plugin. Both are available for Auria.

To add to the list of wanted plugins. Today Fabfilter released a new plugin. A multi band compressor/expander. I will definitely be asking Fabfilter if we can have this new one to add to our complete Fabfilter line-up

Sinapsya
Expert

Post by Sinapsya » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:33 am

Yes I have all two (Saturn & MicroWarmer) but is not the same...

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 am

Sinapsya wrote:Yes I have all two (Saturn & MicroWarmer) but is not the same...
Your right they are not the same but niether is Slate,Waves or Kramer. They are all developed on a seperate emulation of a specific Reel to Reel. Most if not all reel to reel mastering decks sounded different much like a Neve is different in sound and sound character than an API or SSL. I use theses two plugins in Auria and I can achieve almost all the tones and overtones I need for my music. Granted if your successful in convincing the largest plugin companies in the world who make the most expensive plugins to port their softeare over to Auria, than I certainly will buy the plugin if it hits the Auria store and I will thank you greatly but...I have doubts about this but then again I was blown away and still am that Auria has real professional plugin developers porting their great software to Auria. By the way thank you developers for that. Cheers.~~_/)~~~

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:33 pm

There isn't much you can't achieve with Saturn though as tape saturation goes.

Perhaps you would like to buy my old Sony reel to reel 4-track? :mrgreen:
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:25 pm

some of those plugins are quite demanding in CPU. I think, for the moment, it is better to transfer your Auria project to your DAW and do the tape saturation there. Running 10 instances of Satin would be way too much for an iPad4. You need a modern workstation for that.

In future when more powerful iPads are available, this might be an interesting feature. Built into each Auria channel like in Harrison Mixbus, or as optional plugin.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:37 am

Just to be clear for the other member is that tape saturation came from driving the VU meters of your tape machine into the red. It's distortion and it's unique sound is due to the fact that slightly didtorted tape sounded really hot but distorted non the less and it was something most engineers feared in the past. I know I sure did. So depending on wether the user wants this effect as an effect or as a mastering final sound. As an effect you can go wild and yes go ahead and use 10 Saturns but for mastering your final mix this effect should be very subtle. I guess it's a matter of choice. Cheers.

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Is there any way to use waves plug-ins in auria via iaa or audiobus or anything? It's vst compatible but it has to be iOS compatible too right?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:29 am

unfortunately no because only ios apps can be plugged into the IAA ios ecosystem. If it is not available on the app store for an ipad then there is no way to use it. Desktop vst plugins do not work in ios nor is there even a way for you to load it into your ipad. This may change soon with the addition of audio units or AU that apple is introducing in ios 9 coming this fall however it still doesnt mean that we will get to use our desktop plugins in our ipads but it may make it easier for desktop developers who make vst plugins to port them over to ios. Cheers.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:58 pm

Yes, it sure would be nice. Rim is going lose some competitive advantage, but I think Auria is solid enough now, and with the new update will be even more so, that it won't hurt too much.

I have never been able to afford good plugins for any DAW i have had before. This is spectacular. Just picked up Volcano. Only Fabfilter ones i don't have now are DS, MB, and G. I'll pick up MB and G at some point. Just because.

TedBPhx
Expert

Post by TedBPhx » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:43 pm

I like the new Saffron Saturator effect app. Supports IAA and AudioBus. Dead simple to use. While not as versatile as Saturn it's only $0.99 and is outstanding at that price.
Saffron Saturator by Timothy Barraclough
https://appsto.re/us/xu3-7.i