What would you keep?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

kwalker0210
Expert

What would you keep?

Post by kwalker0210 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:30 pm

I have recently discovered Sessonband for iPad, which is an amazing composition tool that I got for a steal (99 cents)! Unfortunately, it is an enormous program (3.2 gigs), so I need to slim down (iPad3 w/16 gigs). If you could only keep 1 synth app, 1 drum app and 1 effects app, what would you keep? Upgrading is not an option. Thanks guys!

martygras
Expert

Re: What would you keep?

Post by martygras » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:12 pm

You might also be able to remove some of Sessionband's content that you don't need using iFunbox or a similar app.

This is always going to be an issue with sample based writing tools.
I have Sessionband Jazz and Jazz2 and think they are very well done, and are very useful tools for me to learn more about jazz chord progressions. They are also much smaller than the regular Sessionband app.

To tell the truth, I really like GarageBand as a writing tool because I can use the smart instruments and also get some inspiration from the apple loops.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:50 pm

That might be an option down the road, but I went and bought all the Sessionband loops, so I'm all in for the moment. I did delete the jazz 1&2, and the Acoustic to save space. I have whittled down my apps to Auria, Sessionband with all loops, Yamaha Synth Arp and Drum, Magellan, Alchemy Mobile with Pro upgrade, and NlogSynth Pro. I plan on exporting the Sessionband progressions into Auria, then building on that with the synths and live instruments. I know if I start messing with GarageBand again, I will never put in the time to get better at using Auria. The same goes for all the other apps I own, but didn't list. Thanks for the suggestion!

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:16 pm

kwalker0210 wrote:That might be an option down the road, but I went and bought all the Sessionband loops, so I'm all in for the moment. I did delete the jazz 1&2, and the Acoustic to save space. I have whittled down my apps to Auria, Sessionband with all loops, Yamaha Synth Arp and Drum, Magellan, Alchemy Mobile with Pro upgrade, and NlogSynth Pro. I plan on exporting the Sessionband progressions into Auria, then building on that with the synths and live instruments. I know if I start messing with GarageBand again, I will never put in the time to get better at using Auria. The same goes for all the other apps I own, but didn't list. Thanks for the suggestion!
Yeah, and you're not missing anything by deleting the Sessionband Acoustic. Gaps between bars made it insufferable.

I also cannot recommend the Nitro or Hollywood loops. The sound quality is good, but the variations fall VERY short of being useful. Multiple BPM's and only a few loops per tempo. They are also compressed to hell and back, and slammed against a brickwall like a kid in a hoody at 2 am in Oakland California. :) Zing!
The multitrack loops packages are all recorded through mics so there is bleed on every track. This makes them near useless except for scratchpad ideas because they cannot be chopped up and isolated without lots of filtering.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)