64 bit A7

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Re: 64 bit A7

Post by ChrisG » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:19 am

I just read the anandtech review. And as I understood it all, generally speaking, an app compiled/optimized as a 64bit application will/can see quite a bit of performance boosts. But, a 64bit app will on the other hand use A LOT more RAM.

And given that the Air (and most likely the new Mini) only have a measly 1GB DRAM, and Auria w. plugins, Audiobus, IAA etc going on will need all the RAM it can grab, it doesn't seem like the trade off (higher CPU performance Vs. higher RAM usage) is worth it at all. The RAM is a major bottleneck here. What will the next 12-24 months look like for Auria, if this indeed turns out in testing to be a problem? The A7 delivers quite the performance boost as is already, squeeze more performance out of it w. 64bit and lose the ability to have more plugins/instruments in RAM at the same time, or be content with the a7 performance as is? Questions questions..

WTF Apple... : (

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:15 am

Maybe Apple is afraid that adding more ram will help the iPad to become a real replacement to desktop music making machines.
If so, they will sell less Macs, don't they? :wink:

They declared a monster Mac desktop spaceship and an iPad which is stronger then its predecessor, but in a much smaller magnitude.

Shame on you apple.
You cannot make progress in one hand and slow it down using the other hand. :evil:

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:31 pm

OK so I pre-ordered my iPad Air by a friend who works at Apple for pick up on Friday in Vancouver Canada. I will report back with any significant speed or performance opinions. Cheers~~_/)~~~
Last edited by Anthony Alves on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:47 pm

Shay wrote:Maybe Apple is afraid that adding more ram will help the iPad to become a real replacement to desktop music making machines.
If so, they will sell less Macs, don't they? :wink:

They declared a monster Mac desktop spaceship and an iPad which is stronger then its predecessor, but in a much smaller magnitude.

Shame on you apple.
You cannot make progress in one hand and slow it down using the other hand. :evil:
Woah.
You went from, "maybe" to "Shame on Apple" in two sentences.

To set your mind at ease, (and reduce the conspiracy theories) the ipad will not replace a desktop for several industries.
One being 3-D CAD. I use SolidWorks for 3-D mechanical design and for RF circuit design. This is one area that will not be replaced by an iPad any time soon. Maybe 5 years on down the road, but by then many other things will have changed significantly as well.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:11 am

Hi @martygras.

I know you are right.
I wrote my post with a bit of humor.
I see people take too personally, here and in audiobus forum the CPU and RAM limitations.
Although they are right they forget that Apple people don't read this stuff, so they just shout at the wind :)

So with a little sarcasm I write to apple.

I love music and iDevices because they fulfill dreams I had as a child for many shiny, loaded with buttons synths.
I know that more RAM will come eventually.

Cheers.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:35 am

When I moved up from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4 all Apple did was increase the processor to the A6X and the performance as any iPad 4 owneer can tell you leaves the iPad 3 in the dust even though there was still only 1 gig ram in the iPad 4. So I am hoping the same for my iPad Air. That the speed will double regardless of the ram. Cheers. ~~_/)~~~.

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:16 pm

Yea the CPU meter will make you happy. The RAM meter, not so much.

I'm so torn right now. This is the first iDevice I've actually pre-ordered, not waiting for reviews and tear downs of the hardware. I just took for granted that Apple would not cripple the Air with 1GB RAM, since that would make it the third iPad in a row with 1GB, and secondly it's now a 64bit system which makes only having 1GB even more of a bottleneck. 1 GB isn't even enough for casual users/using, having the web browser open with a few tabs, the email app, the AppStore app and YouTube and whatever, would be a typical scenario. One that will make it all unstable and you'll never know which apps iOS has closed when switching back'n forth. Let alone heavy usage like Auria and resource hungry synths etc.

It's another iPad 3/fail no matter how you look at it, as far as I'm concerned. But I don't know if I can take staying on a 13.6 GB storage device for another year. : / blaahh Apple you really suck sometimes..

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:35 am

"confirmation that it does have 1GB of RAM"

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/01/ipad-air-teardown/

Zippydog
Expert

Post by Zippydog » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:OK so I pre-ordered my iPad Air by a friend who works at Apple for pick up on Friday in Vancouver Canada. I will report back with any significant speed or performance opinions. Cheers~~_/)~~~

Thanks. Looking forward to that! You might start a new thread so we don't miss your POV if buried in this one.

Cheers!

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:36 pm

I just used auria on the iPad air, it is smooth and fast. I did a short video comparing ipad2 and air running the same session. Beyond a dramatic difference. And the edit screen is not lagging at all, beautiful!
Here it is if you want to see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uz0F3YoYXI

I did it at soundcheck, I'll try to shoot one in more detail when I have time.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:32 am

:shock: I will be posting my videos on my A.I.R.Studio youtube site in the next day or so but so far here is some conclusions. I was able to load 7 inter apps all at the same time on 7 tracks while running Midi Pattern Sequencer in the background sending the midi note data to all the synths at once and Auria controlling the midi clock and not a glitch!!! Also ran all slots full in Audiobus and I used all the heavy synths like Nave, Magelan, iSem, while also running Midi Pattern sequencer in the background driving all the midi data and running Beatmachine locked up to midi clock from Auria and all recorded and played back in time to the metronome and synced well in Auria. All the while the cpu never went much above 25% and my memory reading stayed at full green most of the time. The iPad Air so far has been amazing. In video I rendered a 8 min picture in picture video in Pinnacle Studio in 2min34 sec.This used to take 8-10 mins on my iPad 4. So I have some videos to make and more tests to do in the area of plugins and mastering so I will get back to everyone with more info. cheers. :D

vezinho
Expert

Post by vezinho » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:42 am

Thanks a lot Anthony for taking the time ! Very appreciated !
So the 1Gb of ram would be well compensated by the new proc .... Even if I can't stop thinking of what would be with more ram...
Thanks again !

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:53 pm

vezinho wrote:Thanks a lot Anthony for taking the time ! Very appreciated !
So the 1Gb of ram would be well compensated by the new proc .... Even if I can't stop thinking of what would be with more ram...
Thanks again !
I just completed all the in app purchase updates for Auria and all my Audio apps as the new iPad Air did not allow these to load so everything had to be re-downloaded. This has put a small delay in my videos but I will be working on one today and posting it late tonight or tommorrow morning. You will love the videos and the processes I will be showing. Cheers and I can't wait to share them with everyone.

vezinho
Expert

Post by vezinho » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:52 pm

Can't wait for these videos ! Once again it's very nice to share with all of us, I know it takes a lot of time...

Cheers Mate !!