Auria problem.. running out of memory in IPAD MINI

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

vejichan
Expert

Auria problem.. running out of memory in IPAD MINI

Post by vejichan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:23 am

I have a 32gig I-pad mini.. when i use auria w/overloud or any other plugs .. my memory keeps going over 90% or dying. I am already in airplane mode and all the other apps are closed? any solution in saving battery/memory?
for now i am using only overloud recording in garageband ..i'm afraid to even open up any additional tracks because i don't think my ipad mini can handle it.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria problem.. running out of memory in IPAD MINI

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:29 am

Are you sure you other apps are closed? Just want to make sure you're checking the correct way: double-tap on the home button, and if you see anything in the list, swipe it upwards if on iOS7, or tap hold and press X if on iOS6. Even apps like Safari, App Store, Settings, etc will take a lot of memory, so make sure they're all closed.

Second, are we talking about memory (RAM), disk space, or CPU? These are all very different, and I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. the Memory meter in Auria measures the number of MB free, so you won't get a reading of 90%. The CPU shown in percentage, which is why I wanted to make sure we're both talking about the same thing.

Rim

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:58 pm

cpu is around 90%.. and everything/all apps are closed. i'm always maxed out.. whats going on?

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 am

Could be a process stuck running in the background (even though you can't see it in the multitask), mostly happens with iOS 7 and IAA since IAA still has quite a few issues. Either way, I'd do a hard reset to get rid of the CPU problem...Hold down the home button and the power button, keep holding past the red shut down slider, let go when you see the Apple logo.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:14 am

OK, you mentioned 90% memory, so I was confused. For CPU, there are a few things to check:

1. Make sure your project's sample rate is 44100.
2. Make sure 64-bit mixer mode is OFF
3. Make sure Audiobus mode is disabled
4. If this only happens during recording, make sure your Record latency is set to something higher (like 1024).

Rim

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:50 am

Hey rim,,,how do I do all the 4 things exactly ?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:02 am

For the first one, just make sure when you create a new project, that you choose "44100". It asks you for the sample rate when you first create a project.

The rest of the suggestions are all in Auria's settings page.

Rim

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Rim wrote:OK, you mentioned 90% memory, so I was confused. For CPU, there are a few things to check:

1. Make sure your project's sample rate is 44100.
2. Make sure 64-bit mixer mode is OFF
3. Make sure Audiobus mode is disabled
4. If this only happens during recording, make sure your Record latency is set to something higher (like 1024).

Rim
My iPad2 had a lot of RAM messages on a recent project I was recording at 48. I'll drop down again to 44.1 and see how that works.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:29 pm

There's no advantage to decreasing the sample rate for RAM/memory messages. The OP thought he was running out of RAM, but he meant CPU.

Rim

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:38 pm

ok i just opened auria w/max cpu:43%

is that ok?
btw what aux1 and aux2?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:50 pm

It depends on how many tracks you're using, what sample rate and what plugins you have. On a completely empty project with 24 tracks (no plugins or channelstrips active), the CPU should be in the 5% range on an iPad mini.

Try this:

1. Double-tap on the iPad's home button
2. Close all the apps you see in the list. If you're using iOS7, just swipe up on all the apps. If iOS6, press the X on all the apps.
3. Check #2 again very carefully. It's important ;)
4. Open Auria
5. Press Menu
6. Press New Project
7. In the box that comes up, choose 44100, 24 tracks. Press OK.

Your CPU should be 5%. If you're looking at the Max CPU, make sure you press the CPU meter until you reset it.

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:51 pm

ok all is well. btw how do i get the free files etc after subscribe

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:19 am

You'll get an email immediately. If this didn't happen, you can do it manually here:

http://app.simplycast.com/?q=forms/take&i=100883

If this also doesn't work (because of a spam filter, etc), just email us directly to info at drumagog dot com, and we'll take care of it for you.

Rim

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:39 am

Rim wrote:It depends on how many tracks you're using, what sample rate and what plugins you have. On a completely empty project with 24 tracks (no plugins or channelstrips active), the CPU should be in the 5% range on an iPad mini.

Try this:

1. Double-tap on the iPad's home button
2. Close all the apps you see in the list. If you're using iOS7, just swipe up on all the apps. If iOS6, press the X on all the apps.
3. Check #2 again very carefully. It's important ;)
4. Open Auria
5. Press Menu
6. Press New Project
7. In the box that comes up, choose 44100, 24 tracks. Press OK.

Your CPU should be 5%. If you're looking at the Max CPU, make sure you press the CPU meter until you reset it.
I just did this routine. My CPU came up 18%. Repeated the steps, it dropped to 5%.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:06 am

If you're looking at the Max CPU indicator, this needs to be reset periodically to get a true reading. To reset it, just tap on it. It'll toggle between different views. When you get to Max CPU again, it's reset.

Rim