Trouble adding reverb

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Hrveylee
Expert

Trouble adding reverb

Post by Hrveylee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:14 am

I wanted to add reverb to a track 2, my guitar, as I play against track 1 which was recorded earlier. I hit fx, go to the add effects, add stereo or mono reverb, nothing happens. Could someone five me a blow by blow of what to do. Thanks

ajmack302
Expert

Re: Trouble adding reverb

Post by ajmack302 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:49 am

What i tend to do is assign ClassicVerb/ClassicVerb Pro to AuxFX1 and dial in however much I need to sweeten the sound whilst recording.
You might also want to check in settings that "Disable Effects When Recording" is set to off.
Also, if you are trying to use Convolution Reverb, I believe that this is disabled during recording as it is quite CPU intensive.
Hope this helps.

Aaron

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:43 am

Aaron, thank you, I'm going to try resolving the issue later. I'm actually plugging into track 2 with my guitar and practicing while playing against a recorded track, track 1. I had this problem on e before, I can't get the reverb to work at all. Another time I couldn't get the reverb to stop and had to do a hard reset on my ipad; I tried a hard reset and it didnt work either. What steps do you use when adding reverb; Im possibly doing something wrong.

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:51 am

What I generally do is add ClassicVerb into the AuxFX slot on the Masterstrip (far right of the mixer page).
I then just use the knob on whichever track I'm recording on to just make it sound a little less dry.
Usually after I've recorded a take I'm happy with, I remove the AuxFX and add either Convolution Reverb or PianoVerb into the FX slot on the ChannelStrip.
It's possibly not the best way to do things but it works for me.

Cheers

Aaron

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:14 pm

ajmack302 wrote:What I generally do is add ClassicVerb into the AuxFX slot on the Masterstrip (far right of the mixer page).
I then just use the knob on whichever track I'm recording on to just make it sound a little less dry.
Usually after I've recorded a take I'm happy with, I remove the AuxFX and add either Convolution Reverb or PianoVerb into the FX slot on the ChannelStrip.
It's possibly not the best way to do things but it works for me.

Cheers

Aaron
Yep, I use the same approach to save on cpu.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Aaron, I may be asking auria to do too much. The only way to add reverb or effects is if I'm going to record, correct? If I just want to play through a channel and not record, is there a way to add reverb or other effects?

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Ok, try going into the settings, find Auto Input Monitor and set that to off, record enable the track you want to play on, press play on the transport (but not record) and I think you should be good to go. Then follow the steps I described earlier in regards to reverb.
Let me know if that works.

Aaron

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:40 pm

The best way to do this during tracking, while keeping CPU to a minimum is to put the classic reverb on Aux 1 or 2. Then any channel can have a little reverb just for use during tracking. You can replace the reverb later with one that is more suitable.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Martygras, thanks for the respond. You mean add three verb to the master strip, far right. I added the reverb turned the aux1 up on the channel I'm playing through, but still had to turn on press record to hear the reverb. First, in order to get the sound I want it is really noisy, lots of hiss. Also, since I'm just playing against track 1 and playing through track 2, not recording, when I listen to the recorded track, there is still no reverb on track 2; only reverb when recording. I'm finding this software very difficult for a beginner, with lots of problems. I'm extremely frustrated here. I really wanted to use an ipad only recording studio, now, honestly, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. I'm spending more time getting the software to work and less time playing:(

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:43 pm

I see your confusion. Insert the reverb plugin on the aux bus, located below the button for the master channel on the mixer. It will open to a window with two slots, labeled aux 1 and aux 2, then you use the knobs on each channel to send whatever amount you want to that effect, depending on which slot it is in. That let's you add different amounts of the effect to each track while using only one instance of the effect.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:58 pm

@hrveylee: Sorry you're having problems. It takes a little while to acclimatise to any new environment. There's always a learning curve. Auria is no different but I'm sure you'll be pleased once you've overcome your initial hurdles.

I think you've now got the idea of using an aux effect for reverb and, as for not wanting to actually record in order to hear the effects, @ajmack302 already said:
ajmack302 wrote:Ok, try going into the settings, find Auto Input Monitor and set that to off, record enable the track you want to play on, press play on the transport (but not record) and I think you should be good to go. Then follow the steps I described earlier in regards to reverb.
Let me know if that works.

Aaron
I'm not sure where your hiss is coming from. What sort of audio interface are you using to get your guitar into Auria?

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:18 pm

Wash boy:

Thanks for all your help. The hissing is coming from my mixer, mackie
1202, vlz3. I am using a focusrite 6i6 interface, decent quality. I
listened through headphones on the mixer and heard hiss, when plugging into
the focusrite directly, no hiss. Maybe I should eliminate the mixer?
Could I plug the mic and guitar directly into the focusrite, then plug my
monitors directly into the back of the focusrite; this would eliminate the
mixer completely. The other thing is that I use a 10ft USB cord from the
camera kit connector on my ipad to the back of the focusrite.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Yes, you could eliminate the mixer and go straight into the 6i6. The 10ft USB cable isn't ideal but it's probably fine. Try it all and see! :wink:

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Washboy, thanks for all the help. Shouldn't this all work with the mixer as well? It's really disappointing to me that since I've taken my computer it of the system all has fallen apart. The mixer seemed to be a lot more quiet when I was using it with the apogee duet and my trusty old Mac. The hiss, of course, is a separate issue from the problems I'm having with auria itself. Honestly, it appears to be extremely temperamental and glitchy. I will stay the course, I believe in this approach, but it is starting to wear on me:(