How to keep FocusRite 18i8 channels inst

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

garnold
Expert

How to keep FocusRite 18i8 channels inst

Post by garnold » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:21 pm

I can change channels 1 and 2 to inst level type of inputs via the Scarlet app on my Mac. Problem is once I turn the unit off and back on they return to line level inputs again. Anyone know how to change the defaults of these inputs to inst?

Washboy
Expert

Re: How to keep FocusRite 18i8 channels inst

Post by Washboy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:37 pm

Are you doing a "Save to Hardware" once you've made your setup changes?

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:46 pm

Washboy wrote:Are you doing a "Save to Hardware" once you've made your setup changes?
Hahaha, nope but sounds like a good idea :-) Thanks

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:11 am

OK I did find that save to hardware menu option but it did not seem to save the setting for me. Any other ideas I might be missing?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:38 am

I remember reading that one version of MixControl had broken the "save to hardware" function (v1.6 ???). Which version are you using?

Unless Katherine Kaplan, of Focusrite, is around these parts ATM, you may get better help by calling Focusrite Support.

EDIT: See this thread:
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... are#p26073

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi everyone,

The "Save to Hardware" feature in MixControl was never broken.

There was firmware issue on the 8i6 specifically that caused the unit to loose it's saved settings when Power Cycled.

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... are#p19693

At that time you could save to hardware, remove the USB cable so that the driver disconnected, but the unit remained powered, and still pass audio. But once you powered down and repowered the 8i6 would stop passing audio. This was verified with code checking software we use.

However this was fixed on the 8i6 in the Firmware released for that unit in MixControl 1.6.

Thus I highly doubt this is what this user experienced.

Still I would recommend making sure you are using the latest MixControl beta 1.8b2 here: http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/scarlett_mixcontrol/

If you still have an issue can you please contact us directly?

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Best regards.
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm running the latest version of scarlet software and also up graded the firmware on the 18i8 before trying this. So even with being current I'm having this issue. I've started a ticket with focusrite and hope to get this working. Thank you all :)

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Man I have to say I'm EXTREMELY disappointed with Focusrite's support at this point. I still don't have this working and basically it's a painful email exchange that happens every few days. Is this common for them or do they just not like me?

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:43 pm

garnold wrote:OK I did find that save to hardware menu option but it did not seem to save the setting for me. Any other ideas I might be missing?
I have the same unit, and that is absolutely the way to do it. Sometimes it doesn't save it the first time; try and "save to hardware" a couple of times in a row. Leave it connected to your computer with MixControl running. Set whichever one to "inst" you want. Turn off the Scarlett (leave it connected), wait a few seconds, then turn it back on. If the "inst" light doesn't come back on over the input you previously selected, set and save it again in MixControl. Turn it off for a few seconds, and back on again. It stuck the 2nd or 3rd time for me, and has kept my settings ever since! WONDERFUL interface.

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Just providing an update on this.

I received an email on this case, I believe from one of the posters here.

Based on further information provided in that email I believe this is possibly related to the firmware issue previously on the 8i6 I spoke about above, though I cannot be sure yet.

I had not personally seen this before on the 18i8.

I am looking into this for you and will have it resolved.

In the meantime note that if it is the same issue it only looses the settings when the device is power cycled. So if you hit Save to Hardware and then unplug the USB cable and plug in an iPad it will still retain the settings. If you turn the unit off and then on it may drop it's settings.

I do not know yet if this is an issue with all units or just some units. I also do not know yet if this happens in every instance of power cycling or just some times. Investigating that.
I have the same unit, and that is absolutely the way to do it. Sometimes it doesn't save it the first time; try and "save to hardware" a couple of times in a row. Leave it connected to your computer with MixControl running. Set whichever one to "inst" you want. Turn off the Scarlett (leave it connected), wait a few seconds, then turn it back on. If the "inst" light doesn't come back on over the input you previously selected, set and save it again in MixControl. Turn it off for a few seconds, and back on again. It stuck the 2nd or 3rd time for me, and has kept my settings ever since! WONDERFUL interface.
To clarify. Any time you load the device on a computer with MixControl it will not load settings from the Hardware. It will always load settings stored in the default profile on the computer in the User Library/Settings area.

This above makes me suspect something is sporadic with this issue. If the user in that post can provide me more details about their versions, etc. Have they been able to retain these settings after power cycling the unit, without plugging into a computer?

Please feel welcome to let me know more details, as they will help me help the Development Team resolve this problem for you all.

Best regards.

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:54 pm

Yes, my settings have been retained even after unplugging the interface for 2+ weeks while on an overseas trip. On return, I plugged it back in, powered it up, and it retained my exact settings that I saved to hardware the day I got it: inst on 1, pad on 4. I can reply shortly with the version of MixControl I was/am using.

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:07 pm

I talked to FocusRite support today and they feel a firmware roll back might be in order.

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:29 am

@Katherine:

I truly wish that Focusrite would get around to developing a MixControl app (even if stripped down/bare bones) for the iPad to allow saving to hardware and loading files containing saved settings. My stage setup is extremely tight; there is no room for a laptop. (Even then, having to use a laptop for the sole purpose of transferring MixControl settings to hardware is overkill.)

Thanks and regards,

Mike
Palmatic Music

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

Our Development Team is looking into why this issue is happening. It seems to relate to filling up the memory on the unit.

However we have a work around for you to get this running for you now.

First connect the unit to your computer. Create your desired setup.

In MixControl hit File > Save As...

Save this Snapshot to your Desktop or somewhere you can find it easily. I called my 18i8Save.18i8.

In MixControl hit File > Clear All Settings. This will clear all routing and empty the Mixer, etc.

Locate the Saved file on your Desktop and open it.

In MixControl hit File > Save to Hardware.

This method of first Clearing the settings seems to get the memory cleaned up and the unit retains the settings.

Look out for a future fix to this problem on our Beta Website: http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/scarlett_mixcontrol/

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you guys.

Best Regards.
MikeDee wrote:I truly wish that Focusrite would get around to developing a MixControl app (even if stripped down/bare bones) for the iPad to allow saving to hardware and loading files containing saved settings. My stage setup is extremely tight; there is no room for a laptop. (Even then, having to use a laptop for the sole purpose of transferring MixControl settings to hardware is overkill.)
Hi MikeDee,

This is a feature that has been heavily requested. The Development Team is aware of the high demand for it and I will add your name to the list of requests. Thanks for your feedback!

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:51 am

Thank you, Katherine. Perhaps the list has grown slightly longer than it should be, as my name is now on it for probably the third time. But that's ok; let's keep it that way so there'll be an audit trail of how long and how frequently I've been requesting this enhancement. :D

Best regards,

Mike