Auria + Positive Grid's new Final Touch mastering App??

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Zippydog
Expert

Auria + Positive Grid's new Final Touch mastering App??

Post by Zippydog » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:55 pm

As a hobbyist, I 've had a blast recording with Auria.
Mastering has been my downfall - I just haven't been satisfied with the overall quality of my mixes.

Today, I learned that Positive Grid launched "Final Touch", a new all-in-one iPad mastering app that looks pretty amazing. As I am still a student of iPad based recording, help me understand how might this new app work with Auria and what would I do differently in finishing up an Auria recording (how do/ should the two relate)? Would I skip mastering in Auria, then load the file into "Final Touch" to master there? Since "Final Touch" uses its own processing, I assume that once a file left Auria to that app, there would be no returning to Auria to tweak mix, etc? How would I load an Auria file into this app? Sorry for the extremely basic questions, but that's my limited experience talking.

Interested in others' thoughts on how these two apps will work (or not work) together.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go buy "Final Touch" tonight to see what its all about.

Thanks!

Bytebrain

Re: Auria + Positive Grid's new Final Touch mastering App??

Post by Bytebrain » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Zippydog wrote:As a hobbyist, I 've had a blast recording with Auria.
Mastering has been my downfall - I just haven't been satisfied with the overall quality of my mixes.

Today, I learned that Positive Grid launched "Final Touch", a new all-in-one iPad mastering app that looks pretty amazing. As I am still a student of iPad based recording, help me understand how might this new app work with Auria and what would I do differently in finishing up an Auria recording (how do/ should the two relate)? Would I skip mastering in Auria, then load the file into "Final Touch" to master there? Since "Final Touch" uses its own processing, I assume that once a file left Auria to that app, there would be no returning to Auria to tweak mix, etc? How would I load an Auria file into this app? Sorry for the extremely basic questions, but that's my limited experience talking.

Interested in others' thoughts on how these two apps will work (or not work) together.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go buy "Final Touch" tonight to see what its all about.

Thanks!
Hiya
I'm not familiar with Final Touch, but I would imagine the approach would be to mix your tracks in Auria to the best of your ability, then exporting the *.Wav file to Final Touch and work on Mastering using that.

At any time you should then be able to export the Wave file from that app back to Auria if you want to do further work there.

Personally I'm very happy with my mixes done in Auria, but I've learned a lot the last 6 months or so about mixing, use of Compression and EQ, balance between tracks and the various plugins which have helped me tremendously.
All that could have been done in any DAW that supports these features, so I suspect that if you're not satisfied with your mixes, it may be some other thing you need to learn more about.

Mixing is an ongoing learning experience.
I know for a fact, that even though I've made huge progress the last few months, that it's just a fraction of what there is to learn about the art of mixing and mastering.

A site that's been of great help to me is the forums on http://www.recordingreview.com, people there is extremely knowledgable and helpful to everyone.
I'm sure you'll be welcome to ask any questions, and you'll learn a lot.

Good luck. :)

My latest track, recorded and mixed in Auria and various other iPad music apps:
http://soundcloud.com/bytebrain/burn-this-city/s-yGAvq

JosephDignamMusic
Expert

Post by JosephDignamMusic » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Hey!
Any news, thoughts, opinions on this final touch??

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:04 am

First glance it appears similar to something like izotopes ozone, a well regarded all in one mastering plug in. And as the previous posters noted you would typically mix down to the stereo track and then pop this into the mastering program where you would do your final tweaking. Once mastered in the stereo track you couldn't go back to auria in a MultiTrack format and remix, for example, but you can certainly re-import it and do some more tweaking, EQing or compression if you wanted to.
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:20 am

Okay I just grabbed it. It looks great. They have a demo track and I quickly messed around with it using presets. Good stuff. But I must say it is look so close to Izotope's ozone that they may be pushing the limits a tad. My advice is grab it while you can before Izotopes sues them.... :D :x :)

JosephDignamMusic
Expert

Post by JosephDignamMusic » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:16 pm

ok, I thought I would spend the $20 and have a crack at this....

I am far from an experienced home recorder let alone a mastering genius but this app is extremely powerful and very simple to use. I have just ran most of my songs on soundcloud through this and it seems to have really cleaned up the issue of bad mixes, and irregular overall volume. - All of which is mostly due to previous recordings being done on multiple recording platforms, several different apps or stand alone digital recorders. (Obviously previous to purchasing Auria :D )

I probably tapped into 10% of what the app can offer but I am already impressed with the overall quality.

Airyck
Expert

Post by Airyck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:23 pm

While it would be more expensive you can do mastering in Auria using the Fabfilter plugins. Between Pro-L, Pro-MB, Pro-Q (in Linear Phase mode), you pretty much have most all of your mastering bases covered and I can tell you they are extremely high quality for this purpose too. I can't say about the Final Touch mastering app, it looks good and I'm sure it is but if you want to stay in Auria there are options too.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:26 pm

Airyck wrote:While it would be more expensive you can do mastering in Auria using the Fabfilter plugins. Between Pro-L, Pro-MB, Pro-Q (in Linear Phase mode), you pretty much have most all of your mastering bases covered and I can tell you they are extremely high quality for this purpose too. I can't say about the Final Touch mastering app, it looks good and I'm sure it is but if you want to stay in Auria there are options too.
+1 Definitely hard to beat the FF stuff in Auria (it's what I use), but I can see the appeal of an all in one app dedicated for this purpose too. Most people are probably happy just dialing up a preset, A few small tweaks until it sounds good, then calling it a day.

firehosed
Expert

Post by firehosed » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:28 pm

I usually do my mastering in Auria and then run through the Audio Mastering app for a final touch up. I find that app very confusing though. Final Touch seems appealing, but for $20 I would really want to make sure it was the way to go and easy to use.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:36 pm

It's easy to use. Audio mastering isn't terribly hard either, but the spartan graphics can make it confusing. You won't be too confused with final touch. The mutliband comp baffles me a little, but mutliband comps in general baffle me...

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:44 pm

I bought Audio Mastering, just to buck the trend. I have found the interface pretty confusing, but was pleased with the extra boost and sparkle it provided. To be frank, I only spent about 10 minutes each on two tracks and better results could probably be achieved with more effort :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/bobamser/surfacing

https://soundcloud.com/bobamser/pop-kid-at-nottingham

I found it pretty quick and easy to do a bit of amateur mastering and found having it in a separate app sort of helpful to avoid endless tinkering and re tinkering. That said, if the mastering stage was a bit more like a separate 'page' within Auria, it would be more convenient and flexible.

How about an 'all in one' mastering plugin? 8)

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Photo_G
Expert

Post by Photo_G » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:40 pm

Man, if Final Touch went on sale, I'd be all over it. It looks REALLY cool.

G

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:47 am

It IS for sale! :D

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:41 am

Bob Amser wrote:It IS for sale! :D

And now (?) IAA..!

BorderRebel

Post by BorderRebel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:00 pm

I find Final Touch excellent. I record and mix in Auria, then (depending on the material of course; so far I've only used it with acoustic guitar, bass & vocals) I add light compression with Old Timer and if necessary treat the vocs with FabFilter DS. Then I mix down, send the stereo file to DropBox, close Auria, open Final Touch & import it.

I agree that most of the mastering functions could be carried out with Auria plugins, but I particularly like the logical layout of each component and the way that you can easily hear your mastered track coming together as you progress. Being able to check (and reverse) phase and sum bass frequencies to mono is very useful too. There are occasional glitches or stutters on playback, but these are not on the track and are probably a matter of the latency setting being too much for my iPad 3 Retina's CPU - I experienced the same with Auria until the recent (& excellent) upgrade. I think Final Touch is very good indeed, especially for the price!