Fabfilter plugins: 40% off sale until April 24th

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mrufino1
Expert

Re: Fabfilter plugins: 40% off sale until April 24th

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:56 pm

I think Saturn is a great plugin, it doesn't duplicate anything that's already in auria and sounds fantastic. If I didn't have other compressor plugs I'd probably get pro c but I decided against it for now.

As far as taming mic hiss, better to address that at the source, do you know why your mic is hissing? That shouldn't happen.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:22 am

mrufino1 wrote: As far as taming mic hiss, better to address that at the source, do you know why your mic is hissing? That shouldn't happen.
My setup is an Oktava mk319 and a Scarlett 2i4, I have a fairly quiet voice so I need to turn the gain on the pre-amp up to about three-quarters to record my voice, at which point there is some audible hiss/noise in the signal. Gating seems to fix it without any problems.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:37 am

What peak level are you reaching by doing that? Gating only reduces hiss while you're not putting anything into the mic, it will still be part of your signal otherwise.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:23 am

mrufino1 wrote:What peak level are you reaching by doing that? Gating only reduces hiss while you're not putting anything into the mic, it will still be part of your signal otherwise.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but once the vocal is audible the hiss is not a problem, it's only (barely) audible when there is a silence.

Are you suggesting it's better to turn down the level on the pre-amp and just have a quieter overall signal? I'll have to do a side-by-side test to see if there is less noise once the signal is turned up again.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Yes. If you make your peaks around -18 you're in good shape. No need to slam the input. You can always add gain later in the stage, but you'll be boosting a cleaner signal that will remain clean. Trying to undo noise is pretty tough. Ask me how I know that!;-) still make my share of mistakes but each recording gets a little better.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:43 pm

mrufino1 wrote:Yes. If you make your peaks around -18 you're in good shape. No need to slam the input. You can always add gain later in the stage, but you'll be boosting a cleaner signal that will remain clean. Trying to undo noise is pretty tough. Ask me how I know that!;-) still make my share of mistakes but each recording gets a little better.
OK - thanks for the tip, I appreciate it :)

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:39 am

Shirley.

Markie4eyezz
Expert

Post by Markie4eyezz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Greetings people
I just heard of the sale
Anyone out there know what is the most essential fabfilter plug in
As I am a noooooob
No idea what is best for me, I make hip hop and started messing about making EDM might need something for vocals.
I deffo what to grab something before the sale ends
Anyone out there for a quick response

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:15 pm

My vote is for Pro-Q. Brilliantly powerful and intuitive EQ. I found it much better to use than the channel strip, particularly because of the user interface.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Markie4eyezz
Expert

Post by Markie4eyezz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks bob
I appreciate your response
After doing some research I think I'm going dip for the pro q.
I can see you use audio mastering
Which I got also I'm a noob x2 on that app

Any chance you know the main difference between audio mastering and fabfilter pro mb
What's better ?
Regards

Markie

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Agreed on pro q. I'm also going to answer that if you're a noob (and we ALL are, there's always more to learn) instead if focusing on what extra plugins to buy, focus on learning how and why to use various things. Tons of info onthe net and in person, and even with that, nothing beats just doing it. Trying things out and learning what they do, how, and why you need them will never fail you. That's not to say fabfilters plugs aren't amazing- they are. I remember starting out about 10 years ago with digital recording and really not understanding anything at all. I had read about la-2a compressors in magazines, went to my friends place to use his protools setup and started putting la2a plugins on everything and cranking the knobs, and wondering why it didn't sound amazing. I now realize there is no compressor that will make a wrong sound right (notice I didn't say bad or good). Eq, you could argue a little about that I guess, but as in the example richard brought up a few posts above (not a criticism, it just illustrates this point), pro g is a great gate I'm sure, but having a recording with less hiss negates the need for a gate plugin. are there times gates are valuable? Absolutely, and maybe even times when you had to capture a performance that was the right one without the luxury of setting the right levels, so saving it is worth it, but if the noise can be taken care of first, or the singer can use better mic technique giving more consistent level, then you'll need less compression.

Anyway, as usual, just my thoughts on it, if you buy fabfilter plugs they will always be good and you'll learn to use them. Developing this restraint (sometimes) also is a sign that I'm getting old? Ha!

Markie4eyezz
Expert

Post by Markie4eyezz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Thank u MRuffino
I understand what you are saying
I'm originally a MPC 2000 man with no fx board for 15 years wit

Still dunno what is what when you get to a sound engineering technical side of things
Thanks to the ipad beatmaker 2 and auria
My workflow is crazy but a beautiful thing
I want something that's easy to use and can enhance my music
Especially for edm
With hip hop I keep it raw so anything goes
Just watching some vids gonna go for pro q
But with the little extra change Im getting from this sale I'm now wondering Saturn or Timeless lol
What is more useful for hip hop and edm
Any more recommendations anyone

Markie4eyezz
Expert

Post by Markie4eyezz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Ermmm this is a worldwide sale as the price is in US dollars ?

I'm in the uk

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:01 pm

I don't know about pro-mb as I've not got it. I like the mastering app, but definitely find that less is more.

I've not got loads of plugs, but do use the ones I have. When I got plugins first, I massively over used them, but used in moderation, when needed, they are amazingly good.

I agree with Mark - the temptation with me is to spend ages learning and no time recording! I don't regret the earlier recordings I did, even though they don't sound as good to me now as they did then. Trial and error is a great way of learning.

The sales are always worldwide, in my experience.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:14 pm

The sale is a 40% discount off the normal price in your country. The price listed in the Auria store is always in US dollars. To find the exact price in your local currency, just click on the price, and Apple will display a box with the localized price. The 40% off is already applied to that price.

Rim