Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - Update: 24 96k Recording in Auria

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

peteT
Expert

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - Update: 24 96k Recording in Auria

Post by peteT » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:40 am

Hi,

The subject of the Focusurite Scarlett 18i20 and 96k recording has gone very quiet ( - 115 dB and getting quieter!! :) )

What is the latest on the 24 - 96k situation. Will the unit record to Auria at 96k at all or is this just a problem when using ADAT inputs?

This is a post directed at anyone who has any information. (Katherine Kaplan of Focusrite and Rim - are appreciatively included).

I am sure many would like to know since the Focusrite 18i20 is advertised as a 24/96 capable unit.

I recall the following response from Rim 12 months ago:

------------------------------

Re: New Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.

Postby Rim » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:50 pm
We've discovered the same thing. The 18i20 seems to have some issue that's preventing it from running at 96K on an iPad. We've contacted Focusrite about this and are waiting for a response.

------------------------------

I am really wondering is there is a will by Focusrite to resolve the problem. Does their new iTrack Dock work at 96k with Auria. If so why one unit and not another. I note that the specs of the iTrack Dock do state 96k and is this accurate from an advertising point of view.

A year is a long time in any development cycle!! Hoping for some results.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Pete

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - Update: 24 96k Recording in A

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu May 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi peteT,

From what I see in the notes lots of testing has occurred to try and sort when or why this mysteriously stopped working.

I can say that all the other units aside from the 18i20 are running fine at 96k on iOS.

It looks like our Development Team is not yet sure if this is due to an issue with the unit's firmware or how the Apple Core Audio Driver handles the channel count, similar to in the issue described here on the Core Audio driver for the Mac Computers, which also effects only the 18i20 and not other interfaces.

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/why- ... z-on-a-mac

I have updated the Development Teams notes with a link to this thread, requesting this be prioritized.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Best regards.
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/

peteT
Expert

Post by peteT » Mon May 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for your detailed response and for your link to the article Core Audio Audio Driver - Mac Computer.

I don't yet have an 18i20 and my questions were raised because I am having problems with the 18i6 not able to operate at 96k with the ADAT inputting from a TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48. I assume people are having a similar problem using the 18i6 with a Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 for extra inputs in this same way @ 96k.

I am using the latest beta MixControl version: 1-8b2. and an iPad 2 with the latest iOS and the latest Auria 1.142

The thinking around the channel count could well be a part of the issue for both 18i6 and 18i20. I notice in Auria that when I move to 96k and using ADAT that input channels in the input matrix show signals in the following way:
Input channel 11 = ADAT 1
Input channel 12 = ADAT 1
Input channel 13 = ADAT 2
Input channel 14 = ADAT 2
Input channel 15 = ADAT 3
Input channel 16 = ADAT 3
Input channel 17 = ADAT 4
Input channel 18 = ADAT 4
Effectively it is looking like channels are doubling up and I wonder if this is causing each individual channel to clock at 48k rather than the expected 96. I would have expected to see signal only on channels 11-14 when operating at 96k. Maybe curtailing the number of channels as in the link you referred to might stop the doubling up. The results are that I can record a signal for the ADAT channels but it is either a little distorted with clocking noise or it is sounding dull depending on whether standard or legacy coreAudio is used. All seems fine on SPDIF.

Has anyone looked to see how the Auria Input Matrix looks when using a Presonus 1818VSL with ADAT at 96 - are there just 4 inputs showing or are they also doubled up? Maybe worth checking with some of the RME Units if they successfully work at 96k with ADAT input. The 18i6 records fine from all analogue inputs at 96k and from the SPDIF though I had problems with SPDIF in the previous version of the beta software 1.7. In both beta versions I am noticing that the 18i6 locks when using both SPDIF and ADAT at 96 together.

My reason for raising the questions about the 18i20 was to find if it was worth my while getting a different unit. Also wondered about the 18i8 and if the ADAT problem exists in there as well. I see from the Auria Forum here that people are reporting that the 18i20 won't function @ 96k at all, so maybe until this is resolved I best stay with the 18i6 or the 18i8 if that offers an improvement with ADAT 96k.

The general difficulty in this situation is that there is little published by Focusrite about the issue so it means alot of digging around forums to find whether a unit is likely to work or not - and I do understand that maybe not many people are working at 96k in Auria and the difficulty for a manufacturer in testing all the possibilities: iOS version, iPad version, Hardware Unit and which version of Auria.

Is it possible that Focusrite can keep some type of update blog on the AURIA Forum so that we are in the loop when improvements are made. Maybe a different thread for each Focusrite model would help. I know one doesn't want to get the impression that Focusrite units don't work when one visits the Auria Forum - though these threads could help newcomers to Focusrite choose the best model with a full understanding of the present developmental process.

Hoping for the best outcome.

With kind regards,

PeteT

Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M » Tue May 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi Pete,

We've tested the 18i20 again with the latest firmware (released in March 2014) and unfortunately there are still issues that prevent it from running at 96k. Focusrite is aware of this, so hopefully it will be addressed on their end soon.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

peteT
Expert

Post by peteT » Thu May 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response. Hopefully Focusrite can address this as a matter of urgency. The 18i20 is advertised as a 96k unit. It is such a shame that it is taking so long to get it working in Auria. 'Good luck Focusrite in resolving the problem'.

Are RME up against similar problems re: Core Audio and usage in Auria at 96k ??

Kind regards,

Pete

Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M » Tue May 27, 2014 10:43 am

No, we have not had any troubles with the RME devices as 96k.

Best,

Chris

Matt.Focusrite

Post by Matt.Focusrite » Thu May 29, 2014 1:32 pm

We have raised the priority for this on our end, and hopefully it can be resolved soon.

peteT
Expert

Post by peteT » Fri May 30, 2014 10:34 am

Good News ...........

Thanks Matt. Good luck with sorting the 96k ADAT issue.

RME seem to have gotten round the problem for their interfaces, though I have seen comments re channel count on blogs.

Kind regards,

Pete