Adat Optical In, Crackling Sounds On Audio Interface

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jsol
Expert

Adat Optical In, Crackling Sounds On Audio Interface

Post by jsol » Wed May 21, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi Rim,

I am having issues with crackling sounds on my Focusrite 18i6 audio interface clocking with a external converter AD 48K optical in. After long trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that the Auria software is not recognizing the saved settings made on scarlett mix control software latest version 1.8. In the past, Auria would recognize the settings if changes were made on the mix control software including default settings with no issues. I used to record in 44k , now I record in 48k and my desktop DAW is set that way as well as mix control. I use an external Rosetta converter AD only and wondering if Auria has issues with 48k external adat and or spdif since I tried both with the same popping issues where as analog line in, I have no issues. I'm wondering if there is a bug since the last update in Auria? I have no problems with 48k adat on my regular laptop DAW. However, for testing purposes, if I set the sync source to internal on my laptop DAW I get the same crackling therefore, I am ruling out the issue is not a bad optical hardware connection, rather sync source not locking in when using iPad with external AD converter to optical or spdif in on the 18i6.

It would nice like on most DAWs to have the option on Auria to choose the sync source internal, spdif and adat.

Have there been issues with other forum member users and will there be a fix/software update or a work around? I really want to utilize my external converter as I use an external preamp and do not want to use the line ins on the back of the device. I have contacted focusrite. They were helpful and was informed that the sync sources need to match. Lastly, I have been saving my changes to hardware on mix control, with multiple settings with no success in Auria.

Thank you,

JSol.
Last edited by jsol on Thu May 22, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Adat Optical In, Crackling Sounds On Audio Interface

Post by Rim » Thu May 22, 2014 12:40 am

Auria has no real control over how audio hardware works. Unlike on a desktop, an iOS app developer can't control the audio hardware directly, and there are no drivers on an iPad. We just send and receive audio, and Apple handles the rest. So when an issue like this comes up, it's only the audio device manufacturer (or Apple) that can solve it. Also, keep in mind that in cases like this, it's not specifically an Auria issue, as all audio apps will have the same problem.

Maybe Focusrite can help, as I know they've been very helpful on this forum.

Rim

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Thu May 22, 2014 1:17 am

Ok cool, I get it. Hopefully, Focusrite can update their mix control software in regards to saving the settings to the hardware in order to address the issue maybe in beta. Hopefully the problem is not an apple audio core legacy related issue from the Apple side of things.

JSol.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu May 22, 2014 7:46 am

One thing I forgot to mention - have you tried using one of the other Core Audio modes in Auria's settings?

Rim

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Thu May 22, 2014 9:04 am

Just legacy and normal mode but not the third one. I will play with settings a little more. There has to be a way around this.

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Thu May 22, 2014 11:30 am

I did all three settings. Did not resolve the issue. I have nailed down the issue. I just got off the phone with focusrite. They claim that my Rosetta is not set to internal as master clock. There is no option for that as I told them. The only option is spdif or adat. The AD Rosetta is always the master since I was able to record no problems in the past, as long as I select adat all worrpked fine before. The issuer being I believe is a bug in the latest mix control software 1.8 not saving or memorizing my adat external settings I have saved over and over again to hardware on the scarlet. My desktop mix control sounds great once set to adat even in my PC DAW but when launching iPad after being locked with usb and supposedly being set to adat slaved to master and not internal on the Rosetta. I hear the clicks and pops.

What do you think?

J S.

Matt.Focusrite

Post by Matt.Focusrite » Thu May 22, 2014 11:39 am

Hi Jsol,

What sync source setting did you attempt to save to the 18i6 when setting it up for use with the Rosetta and what is the clock setting on the Rosetta?

As Rim pointed out, Auria has no control over the clock settings in the Scarlett aside from the sample rate. The Scarlett should be set to sync to ADAT in MixControl and then this should be saved to hardware via the file menu.

Keep in mind that you need to have a valid ADAT sync source connected to the 18i6 when setting this and saving to hardware or the setting will not be retained. It would be a good idea to try going over the setup again and save to hardware with the Apogee connected to the 18i6. Then power off the 18i6, connect to your iPad, and power on the 18i6 to test whether or not the settings were retained. The clock should now be locked. If you disconnect the optical cable, the LKD led should turn off. If this is the case, you know that the save to hardware was successful and that the units are clocking correctly. If you encounter further difficulties, please contact Focusrite support via this link:

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Thu May 22, 2014 11:53 am

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, I had the Rosetta connected during the hardware save. 48k sync source adat. I have not tried powering down the scarlett before connecting to the iPad which I will do now however, I found this thread topic and think it might be the source to the underlying problem where the scarlett hardware interface is running out of memory and space on the actual unit not allowing to save to hardware from previous saves:

Re: How to keep FocusRite 18i8 channels inst
by Katherine_Focusrite » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

Our Development Team is looking into why this issue is happening. It seems to relate to filling up the memory on the unit.

However we have a work around for you to get this running for you now.

First connect the unit to your computer. Create your desired setup.

In MixControl hit File > Save As...

Save this Snapshot to your Desktop or somewhere you can find it easily. I called my 18i8Save.18i8.

In MixControl hit File > Clear All Settings. This will clear all routing and empty the Mixer, etc.

Locate the Saved file on your Desktop and open it.

In MixControl hit File > Save to Hardware.

This method of first Clearing the settings seems to get the memory cleaned up and the unit retains the settings.

Look out for a future fix to this problem on our Beta Website: http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/scarlett_mixcontrol/

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you guys.

Best Regards.

MikeDee wrote:
I truly wish that Focusrite would get around to developing a MixControl app (even if stripped down/bare bones) for the iPad to allow saving to hardware and loading files containing saved settings. My stage setup is extremely tight; there is no room for a laptop. (Even then, having to use a laptop for the sole purpose of transferring MixControl settings to hardware is overkill.)

Hi MikeDee,

This is a feature that has been heavily requested. The Development Team is aware of the high demand for it and I will add your name to the list of requests. Thanks for your feedback!
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/

P.S.

I will try this and let you guys know.

JSol.

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Thu May 22, 2014 12:15 pm

I did everything mentioned above. No success. I seriously think it's a bug that needs to be addressed. It's a mix control issue. Not saving to hardware appropriately staying in internal mode, not adat mode. The same clicks and pops are heard on the desktop if I switch to internal mode, when I switch to adat mode. Clear as glass, no pops.

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Attention Rim,

The issue has been resolved with reverting back to firmware 305 Scarlett mix control 1.2.128.0. What are your thoughts? Big thanks to Focurite and their tremendous support and future support!!

It worked!! This version of scarlett mix control and firmware eliminates the crackle pop when clocking externally. In default mode, I hooked up the Scarlett to my iPad. I didn't change any settings or have to save my settings to hardware. I started this way with no adjustments because in the past the clocks synced together automatically like it worked today after this fix. The iPad knows automatically it is being clocked externally when the external hardware is set. Where as on the desktop computer, one must set to ADAT mode. So now, we have pin pointed the problem and it isn't an Apple issue? I rebooted the computer to make sure it worked after my issues have been solved, it still worked brilliantly :D. Now, is Focusrite going to address this issue with the firmware on the next update? Will Focusrite implement maybe a mix control app for iPad, even though, the old firmware and mix control works automatically? I would like to say, thanks guys!

Great work,

I hope Focusrite will fix this with the next firmware and mix control update so I can keep current with the latest software. For now, I'll stay with this rolled back version software and firmware of Scarlett mix control.

Joel S.
Last edited by jsol on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Good to know. Looks like it might be something the Focusrite engineers can look at, based on your findings.

Rim

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:48 pm

jsol wrote:firmware 305 Scarlett mix control 1.2.128.0.
G'day Joel

This thread has solved my own problem with my 18i6 but I have a question:

I can find a reference on the Focusrite homepage to Mix Control 1.2.1 which would suggest that it includes an update to firmware 305 as you mention above. But nowhere can I find a reference to Mix Control 1.2.128. Is it the same thing as 1.2.1?

Alternatively would be kind enough to send me a link directly to the correct download?

Cheers

Grant

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:54 pm

jsol wrote:MikeDee wrote:
I truly wish that Focusrite would get around to developing a MixControl app (even if stripped down/bare bones) for the iPad to allow saving to hardware and loading files containing saved settings. My stage setup is extremely tight; there is no room for a laptop. (Even then, having to use a laptop for the sole purpose of transferring MixControl settings to hardware is overkill.)

Hi MikeDee,

This is a feature that has been heavily requested. The Development Team is aware of the high demand for it and I will add your name to the list of requests. Thanks for your feedback!
JSol.
G'day Kathrine

Are development costs an issue for such an app? Such an app would resolve the one remaining weak-link in my mobile recording setup and I would gladly pay for it.

For starters the app wouldn't even need to be a mix control as such; it would just need to be a settings control - a simple means by which the unit's settings could be optimised for the iPad without having to resort to re-connecting to the computer.

Cheers

Grant

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:50 pm

Hello Gmaster G,

Sorry for the late reply,

I didn't set the notification alert on thread updates. I sent you an email with the following and hope this helps others based on this tread topic with a similar problem:

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Focusrite Technical Support Team <18i6support-usa@focusrite.com>
Date: June 5, 2014 at 4:30:20 PM PDT
To: JSol
Subject: Re: (Case 301571) 18i6

Hi Joel,

I'm glad everything is working for you now. Thanks for your feedback, and we will definitely keep it in mind for any future revisions.

If you need any more support, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
--
Jordan Bennett // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ ... php?id=108

-----Original Message-----
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 11:49:53 -0700
To: "Focusrite Technical Support Team" <18i6support-usa@focusrite.com>
Subject: Re: (Case 301571) 18i6

>It worked!! This version of scarlett mix control and firmware eliminates the crackle pop when clocking externally. In default mode, I hooked up the Scarlett to my iPad. I didn't change any settings or have to save my settings to hardware. I started this way with no adjustments because in the past the clocks synced together automatically like it worked today after this fix. The iPad knows automatically it is being clocked externally when the external hardware is set. Where as on the desktop computer, one must set to ADAT mode. So now, we have pin pointed the problem and it isn't an Apple issue? I rebooted the computer to make sure it worked after my issues have been solved, it still worked brilliantly :D. Now, are you going to address this issue with the firmware on the next update? Will you implement maybe a mix control app for iPad, even though, the old firmware and mix control works automatically? Here is the screen shot to our success. I would like to say, thanks guys!
>
>Great work,
>
>I hope you fix this with the next firmware and mix control update so I can keep current with the latest software. For now, I'll stay with this rolled back version software and firmware of Scarlett mix control.
>
>Joel S.
>Sent from my iPad
>
>On Jun 3, 2014, at 10:09 AM, "Focusrite Technical Support Team" <18i6support-usa@focusrite.com <mailto:18i6support-usa@focusrite.com>> wrote:
>
>Hi Joel,
>
>Thank you for your email.
>
>If you are still getting the message that you need to update MixControl that means the firmware rollback tool did not successfully apply.
>
>Usually when I see this it is because the user has not actually unzipped or Extracted the Zip file. If not unzipped it will not apply properly.
>
>Please follow the steps below again. Make sure after downloading the 18i6.zip file that you right click it and choose Extract All. Then run the steps by going to the fully Extracted folder.
>
>Download this file and then follow the directions below:
>
>https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84231520/18i6.zip <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84231520/18i6.zip>
>
>- Extract both files to your desktop
>- Connect and power up the 18i6 until you see the USB active light and the device is detected.
>- Drag the "usbtracker-305.xe" icon onto the USB2Updater-2.exe icon.
>- Select open
>- A command prompt window should appear and you'll see two stages.
>- Once the command prompt window closes, power off the Scarlett 18i6.
>- Uninstall Scarlett MixControl and install version 1.2 from this link:
>
>https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/842 ... ol-1.2.exe <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/842 ... ol-1.2.exe>
>
>- Once the installation is complete, power on the unit.
>- Once it connects open Scarlet MixControl and it will prompt for a further firmware update.
>
>Please let me know how you come along.
>
>Best regards.
>
>--
>Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support
>
>http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ ... php?id=108 <http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ ... php?id=108>

Cheers,

JSol. :)

cloughri

Post by cloughri » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Hello jsol,

Can you tell me how to go about rolling back to firmware 305? I am having the dreaded ticks and pops issue. I am on a Mac...is it possible to do this on that platform?

Thanks
Chad