Recording a Live performance into my ipad (Again)

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

richb

Recording a Live performance into my ipad (Again)

Post by richb » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Sorry to be redundant, but I've read a few posts here that seem to be similar to what I want to do, but I just want to be sure I understand the full scope of what I need, in order to record a live performance.

I play in a Trio. Ideally, I want to record 8 separate channels in Auria via my ipad, during a live performance. In order to do this I need all 8 of my instruments and vocals to go into a mixer, which will mix the bands sound and provide the sound the audience hears. (As usual). However, In order to get the 8 instruments into Auria / ipad, the mixer needs to have 8 "Outs". Those "Outs" will plug into the "Ins" of an Interface. Ideally, the interface should have a separate gain control for each channel, so I can control the levels that go out of the Interface, and into Auria / ipad, via the USB on the interface, into the camera adaptor of my ipad. Is that correct? If there is anything else I should consider, please let me know. Also, can anyone recommend am inexpensive mixer that will do what I need? We gig twice a month, at small venues so it's use will be minimal. If you have experience with a specific mixer & interface combination that does what I want and works well for you, I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks for any help with this. I appreciate it.

richb

Re: Recording a Live performance into my ipad (Again)

Post by richb » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:30 pm

Anyone?

Rim?

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:06 pm

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Look at the interfaces section which will tell you everything that works with auria. You could use a presonus vs1818 and control the mixer from a different iPad or a computer. Or you can get a behringer x32 rack, and get an ipad1 pretty cheap to use as a control surface for it. The x32 has gotten excellent reviews as a love mixer. One of the recent episodes of bobby owsinski' sinner circle podcast had Dennis moody as a guest, who is a top notch sound engineer, and he really sang its praises. A friend has one as well and loves it.

brooks501
Expert

Post by brooks501 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:56 am

Hi

I've been using a Focusrite 18i20 with Auria to do something similar, I've recorded over 15 different bands at live venues, the only difference is I have all 8 mic's going straight into the 18i20 and then use the main outs to goto to speakers and then mix from Auria, what I like about it is I can also route the subs or aux sends to the outputs on the 18i20, I've used this to send the bass player to a monitor because he was plugged straight into interface but still wanted to hear himself.

For the price they have good preamps and it worked straight out of the box.

Hope that helps with your quest.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:38 am

mtingle wrote:this sort of thing looks like it would do the job:

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/mackie-d ... muat3w_wcB

or this:

http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Mackie_ ... 0QSujw_wcB
The Mackie is no good for this. It only records a stereo mix.

Dominic

mandodon
Expert

Post by mandodon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:34 pm

If your mixer doesn't have direct outs for each channel but has inserts for each channel, you can tap into those inserts for direct outs for each channel. One way is to plug your 1/4" cord in just half way (the first click). This will get the send from the insert and you can use that for the input on your interface. I've done that with a couple different mixers into a Presonus 1818vsl a few times.

The other thing is to make sure you have quit all other programs, and reboot your ipad before recording. Make sure everything you don't need for recording is off (wireless, etc.). Be prepared to wait a few minutes when you hit stop at the end of your set for Auria to process all the tracks.

richb

Post by richb » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:40 pm

brooks501 wrote:Hi

I've been using a Focusrite 18i20 with Auria to do something similar, I've recorded over 15 different bands at live venues, the only difference is I have all 8 mic's going straight into the 18i20 and then use the main outs to goto to speakers and then mix from Auria, what I like about it is I can also route the subs or aux sends to the outputs on the 18i20, I've used this to send the bass player to a monitor because he was plugged straight into interface but still wanted to hear himself.

For the price they have good preamps and it worked straight out of the box.

Hope that helps with your quest.
Okay. I see where you're going. Forget my current mixer and use the 18i20 & Auria as both my mixer and recorder.

2 more questions on your suggested set up...

1. Will I need powered Speakers? (I assume, yes)

2. Using this scenario, can I set a mix, then save it in Auria, knowing that my levels, eq, etc., will essentially be the same from gig to gig, and use that as a starting point at each gig?

Thanks to everyone for their input. I appreciate your time.