Monitoring Systems

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Monitoring Systems

Post by rickwaugh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:04 am

Was reading the headphones thread, and it got me to thinking a lot. I won't describe my current monitoring situation, as it's not much. It strikes me as the next thing I need to look at.

A nice simple solution that doesn't take up a lot space and would have multiple uses is the iLoud. It's not hugely expensive, is very portable, and has got decent reviews. I do realize that the stereo seperation is not going to be that great, and the quality is not going to be approaching what it could be. But I'm limited in space and funds. It might be best to get a really nice set of headphones, and something like the iLoud.

But what are you folks doing? I'm assuming you are going to an external amp, speakers, and some of those very nice headphones. Are you going wired from the headphone jack, or bluetooth?

Phil999
Expert

Re: Monitoring Systems

Post by Phil999 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:04 pm

I am using a headphone (AKG closed system) or two mono rechargeable little speakers with a custom y-cable (stereo out -> two mono mini-jack) when I'm in the forest. A while ago when I was in a friend's camper, there was an old TFT laying around, and I used it as my sound system. Not too bad, these TV's sound quite good. At home I use my monitors of course.

The two rechargeable speakers (X-Mini) aren't a reasonable monitoring solution, people laughed at me, but in practice they aren't that bad at all. They cannot have any low frequency and they're not loud, but enough to feel comfortable in a recording session. They have a good stereo seperation, you can place them anywhere you like. I also use them when I watch a movie on the iPad, it's a big difference. At home such things aren't recommended at all. Here I would really recommend to save some money and invest at least 1000 bucks for a proper pair of monitors.

Those bluetooth speaker systems aren't bad, but personally I prefer a wired connection and two seperate speakers.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Well, I know what I'd like to do, but with two daughters in university, and having just spent close to $700 building a stratocaster for myself, I'm not thinking I'm going to be spending a couple of grand on monitors any time soon, sadly. What I'm working on is what is possible. I may just go for a really nice set of headphones for now.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:02 pm

I bought a pair of M-Audio Bx5a deluxe monitors about two years ago. To my ear, the high end is hyped and the lows are underwhelming. They actually sound best at lower volumes. I know they're low end monitors, but I've read some very good things about them, so I think it's my untreated room with the stone, brick, and mortar walls. I'm saving for a pair of those Focal Spirit Pros, which are very expensive, but not nearly as much as a good pair of monitors AND a treated room.

Here's a link to a headphone thread. The poster named Tarekith is a mastering engineer, and says the Focal Pros are the real deal.

http://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=12496

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:08 am

Very much the real deal, probably a better investment than monitors if you're planning on spending $300-400 or less.

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:36 pm

I own a pair of the Focal Spirit professionals and they are exquisite. I mentioned in the headphone topic elsewhere that you should try them on for size as the ear pads are smaller than average.

In my case I don't have a soundproof room to work in so quality monitors are not a good investment. I got a pair of Behringer MS-16 for those moments when I want to hear something sans headphones. While they are far, far from the best they don't sound crappy. They sound decent and are unbeatable for the price. I also have a UE Mini Boom bluetooth speaker when I travel and want to make music. It sounds outstanding. If you have 2 you can set them up in stereo but I haven't tried that as I only purchased one.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:58 pm

Definitely thinking about going for the nice headphones. Really, that much for a world class set of headphones, vs. how much a treated room and monitoring system would be, makes it hard to walk away from. The iLoud would do for what I have, and what I can fit in, so the nice cans are the thing to splurge on, I'm thinking.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:44 pm

I've done mixes with HiFi speakers and Beyerdynamics headphones for 25 years, it's acceptable. This year I even done mixes with a mediocre AKG closed system headphone and tiny portable speakers, because I was most of the time out of my home studio, in the woods.

The thing is, before I had my first pair of Dynaudio monitors (BM5 MKII, now I have two pairs for quad stuff) and a room with good acoustics, I made it all quite wrong.

If you know what you're doing, a good headphone or cheap crappy speakers may work alright. Personally I didn't know before I got my Dynaudio monitors.

So I think it's a good idea to buy less ideal stuff, but my advice is to check your mixes in a good treated room and good monitors. Then you know what is missing, and you can go back to your headphones and do another version, check again, etc.