So long, Alchemy. We barely knew ya.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

eustressor
Expert

So long, Alchemy. We barely knew ya.

Post by eustressor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:58 am

For anyone who missed/doesn't visit the Audiobus forums:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/7261/ ... 15#Item_68

Camel Audio is shutting down shop. IAPs will no longer be downloadable, CA recommends a full backup to your computer via iFunBox to preserve your purchases and settings. Still, come iOS9 or 10, unless someone scoops them out like Twinkies, their Twinkie will crumble.

All sympathies to Camel-Audio, but this just sucks. Alchemy's been my favorite synth from the get-go.

martygras
Expert

Re: So long, Alchemy. We barely knew ya.

Post by martygras » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:19 pm

For me Alchemy is my favorite synth for live use due to its awesome tonal change pads.
I am extremely curious as to what happened and could it happen to others.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:43 pm

I wonder how long it will be available in the app store. theoretically it only needs the purchase of a dev account ($99) to keep it there.

If no one pays though it'll be removed and then what? Will the next time you sync you ipad will it be deleted?

Lester Ballard

Post by Lester Ballard » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:01 am

Anyone else a tad concerned about this? I've spent quite a bit on Apps and IAP (not alchemy thank God) ... and the thought of them thing just 'shutting down' is a bit of a worry.

Old-Bugga
Expert

Post by Old-Bugga » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:08 am

Boooooo! I love Alchemy and have literally every effing sound pack. Grrrrrrrr!!!!! :evil:

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:31 am

Alchemy Mobile is just about my favorite iOS synth, and I have all the expansions. I think the KVR thread discussing Camel Audio's sudden announcement is setting records, so I would encourage those wishing to bathe in crazed speculation about what's going on to seek it out. ;)

As for the bigger question about the possibility of apps with spendy IAP's suddenly going away, I think many of us have been given pause. With Apple's aggressive (some say unmanageable) upgrade cycle, abandoned apps can become crippled quite quickly, and (as in Alchemy's case), IAP download links can vanish without warning. In the coming months I think there is going to be lots of discussion about the viability and maintainability of apps that folks really rely on and to which they have invested far more than the price of lunch. Long live Auria!

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:56 am

@Rim: I will be grateful if you will make a statement concerning the security of Auria's various IAPs. Based on some of your earlier comments, regarding restoring and/or re-downloading IAPs, etc., I had got the impression that WaveMachineLabs and the IAP devs are not in control of those mechanisms - that Apple (AppStore) maintains the details of which apps and IAPs a user has purchased and that downloads and restores come from Apple's servers - not from WaveMachineLabs'.

Now, judging by the fact that I can no longer restore my Alchemy IAPs, I can't help but fear that my considerable investment in FabFilter, PSP, MoReVoX, etc., IAPs could vapourize overnight! :|

Can you offer any reassurance?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:12 am

Apple handles all transactions concerning both IAPs and the app itself. A developer has no control over any of the sales process (except to change the price of the IAP, or to remove it from sale entirely). However, it's up to the developer to deliver the IAP content or enable the feature to the user after Apple completes the sale.

IAPs are generally divided into two types: features and content. In Auria, all plugins are considered "features". So when you purchase a plugin, Auria receives the OK from Apple that the transaction has been approved, and it simply unlocks the plugin (Auria comes with all plugins already in the code, so when you purchase a plugin, you are simply unlocking it).

If the IAP is content-based (for example a collection of loops or IRs), it's up to the developer to deliver that content to the user after the sale is approved. The content can be located either on the developer's servers or on Apple's servers. it's up to the developer to choose where it's stored.

I hope this makes the process clearer.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:46 am

Yes, that does clarify things, Rim. Thank you. Regrettably, it also implies that, without the active involvement of the developer, "Content" IAPs (at least) cannot be restored online :(

More specifically then @Rim: If FabFilter, for example, suddenly removed their Auria plug-ins from sale (or MoReVoX their IRs), what would be the practical consequences for existing purchasers of Auria's many IAPs?

Perhaps I ought to adopt the attitude that I only rent the plug-ins, etc., for an undisclosed period of time at the whim of the developer and that I'm practically obliged to get technical and tricky (iFunBox, etc.)? That, of course, is aside from the vulnerability that Apple's iOS upgrades introduce to the equation. It's all starting to feel as complicated and counter-productive as the PC/Mac environment. Sigh! :cry:

Please let me emphasise that I imply no criticism of WaveMachineLabs or any of the other devs involved. My mounting frustration is with Apple. I address these questions to you, Rim, because I've only ever known you to be straight talking and responsive and because I trust your integrity and level-headedness :)

eustressor
Expert

Post by eustressor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:36 am

mtingle wrote:I wonder how long it will be available in the app store. theoretically it only needs the purchase of a dev account ($99) to keep it there.

If no one pays though it'll be removed and then what? Will the next time you sync you ipad will it be deleted?
@mtingle Looks like they didn't. It's already off the App Store :(

Clif from Apptronica posted a vid on how to restore the Pro Upgrade settings for those who've purchased it and need a refresh. Tim has the vid and a good write up with a link to the Pro Presets up at Discchord.com:

http://discchord.com/blog/2015/1/9/rest ... grade.html

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:20 pm

Seems a little strange to pull the app. Is it a legal requirement or some kind of bitterness?

All the in app content has gone. Shame. I hope apple can work a way of preserving purchased content if developers go bust.

The idea of using an iPad in some kind of professional context becomes quite challenging if you'd like to work on older projects for a client.

Note to all serious audio engineers, render stem mixes of all your important projects.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:54 pm

I can assure you that if we ever decided to "pull the plug" on Auria or any of our products (unlikely!), they would continue to be available on the app store (as well as in-app purchases) for as long as we're in business. WaveMachine Labs has been around for 16 years, and we're not planning on going anywhere ;)

We also have an agreement in place with all our plugin partners which says if they ever decided to call it quits, they must allow us to continue to distribute their plugins to existing customers forever. We've thought this out pretty carefully ahead of time.

Rim

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks for the clear info Rim, that is awesome.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Rim wrote:We also have an agreement in place with all our plugin partners which says if they ever decided to call it quits, they must allow us to continue to distribute their plugins to existing customers forever. We've thought this out pretty carefully ahead of time.
That's exactly the kind of reassurance I was hoping for, Rim :D I believe it needed to be stated and it's good that you've done so, and in such unambiguous terms 8) Now, if only Apple could be persuaded to adopt the same responsible approach... :wink:

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:26 pm

I'm not sure if Apple has much to do with it (not really an Apple fan myself).