any update - Auria on Air 2?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

pesciolino

any update - Auria on Air 2?

Post by pesciolino » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:42 pm

Just a status check on how nicely the Air 2 is playing with Auria, since I haven't read much kvetching in a few weeks. Have a Mini 2 - thinking to update to the Air 2 for the bigger/better screen (and of course the processor)...

CEIsar
Expert

Re: any update - Auria on Air 2?

Post by CEIsar » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:14 am

I had a Mini 2 before as well but if you want a new pad mainly for Auria,you should still wait.The scrollview bug is still there and a real workflow killer.As soon as i reach 45% of CPU the sequencer stops often with that low cpu warning.Sadly,you currently have more Power for Auria in your Mini 2 available if you don't like to stop your sequencer for every little edit.

Anything else works fine (at least for my app and workflow combination) and i'm quite happy with my purchase.2 GB Ram is really a breeze,you can feel the increase at every corner.

But i'm not using Audiobus much.IAA wherever i can.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:35 am

I remember @AnthonyAlves's post from about a month or two ago essentially saying the Air 2 doesn't really outperform the Air 1 in a series of tests he did on both; further, I believe he said it didn't perform as well as the Air 1 in some categories. My impression is that it's hard to tell if the less than expected performance of the Air 2 was a hardware or software problem. I know iOS 8 has introduced plenty of issues with IAA and AudioBus, and I know about the scrolling bug that drives some users crazy while not bothering other users very much at all.

It seems that the Air 2 users are much quieter about the performance of that device than the Air 1 users were about a year ago. As I remeber it, the forums were full of great reviews of the Air 1.

I'm going to get the Air 2 to see if it works. If it doesn't, I'm going to have to consider trading for an Air 1 or explore other options outside of iOS. It sucks that it doesn't just work.

It would be great if someone who has an Air 1 and Air 2 could do some extensive testing with both, but who has time to do that?

I'm also curious to know if developers are going to be able to put the processing power and extra RAM in the Air 2 to better use. So much uncertainty.

For me, Apple has been very disappointing over the past year or so.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:55 am

without doubt the air 2 out performs the air 1 with Auria. It runs more plugins by about 20-25%.

Now, this issue is scrolling, if you need to manoeuvre round the mixer window or tweak a plugin like fabfilter while playing back at high cpu load then you can expect to trigger the CPU spike bug. I've been living with this for a while now and find I can work with it. you kind of get a feel for what type of scrolling makes it trigger and I turn off the visuals on the fabfilter plugins which helps.

An Air 2 is Definitely worth it IMO and I'm sure either Apple or Rim will be able to resolve the graphics issue in time.

One thing I've not really tried very much off is recording. That may be another story.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:20 pm

My Air2 was a minor upgrade in terms of overall performance, definitely a noticeable increase, but not by as much as you would expect. Most of my Auria projects are very low CPU anyway, so the scrolling bug really hasn't been an issue for me. I do a lot of recording too, haven't had any issues there.

pesciolino

Post by pesciolino » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:11 pm

Thanks for these replies. Wonder if the Apple dev team gives reassuring feedback for resolving the issue, or if it's more of "wait and maybe"

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:13 pm

Nothing more from Apple about this. They are "investigating".

Rim

pesciolino

Post by pesciolino » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:21 pm

mmm... ok (thanks)