Need Help Understanding Input/Output Matrix

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

wkearle

Need Help Understanding Input/Output Matrix

Post by wkearle » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:00 am

Hi . . . I am currently using Air 2, 128 GB, IOS 8. I would greatly appreciate any help you good folks could provide in reference to the Input and Out Matrix. I am thoroughly confused. I have scoured the Forums, You Tube and Google for the answers. It seems most of the information is written for more experienced users unlike myself. Would really appreciate the basic concepts. set up, and different applications associated with the I/O Matrix.

Thanks in advance, William

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Need Help Understanding Input/Output Matrix

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:30 am

The input matrix will show your available inputs from your audio box. Lets say you have a 2 in 2 out audio interface connected to your Air2 via the Lightning to USB adapter. In the input matrix of Auria you will see input 1 and 2. These represent the two inputs of your audiobox. Highlighting one of these or both for a stereo track will now input audio into Auria via that input. Say Track one you choose input 1 and track 2 input 2. That means that if your guitar is plugged into input one of your audiobox it will be recorded onto track 1 once that track is armed and ready to record. On track two, you have input 2 set as the input source and there you might have your vocal mic plugged into your audiobox. So in this setup your recording guitar into track one via input one and recording vocals into track 2 with the muc set to input 2 in the matrix. When finished recording you will have guitar on track one and vocals on track 2 both recorded at the same time.

The Output Matrix allows you to assign your tracks to a specific output. If your audiobox supports multi outputs than you will see these available outputs in your output matrix. If your audiobox is simply a stereo out than you will only see the options to send the audio out to the Master Out and the 8 sub and 2 Aux busses. So it depends on which audio interface you are using.
Cheers and good luck and hope this helped. ~~_/)~~~*

wkearle

Post by wkearle » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:40 am

Hi Anthony, thank you for sharing your time and knowledge with me..... Much appreciated. Thank you, William

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Anthony is just "that" kind of guy. Ask him for his shirt. Go ahead. Ask him. :)
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

GuitaristfromtheRock

Post by GuitaristfromtheRock » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:24 am

Hey,

Just trying to figure out a few things with the input matrix. I am using Jam up PRO xt and Singaling app into audiobus then into Auria with the Alesis io dock II interface. But each time I assign the input matrix both input 1and 2 display.....How can I assign just input 1 for jam up and 2 for signaling?? Trying to record live for both vocals and acoustic at the same time... but I want to keep each track apart for final mixing. Need help.

Thanks

Markie4eyezz
Expert

Post by Markie4eyezz » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi I thought I'll add my question
I too do not fully understand the input/output matrix

Why is it when I connect my apogee mic
I have to go into input matrix and without changing any settings close the page and then the mic works
If I dont I cannot get a mic level

It's never a problem just wondering why that is

Thanks
Roll on auria pro can't wait

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Markie4eyezz wrote:Hi I thought I'll add my question
I too do not fully understand the input/output matrix

Why is it when I connect my apogee mic
I have to go into input matrix and without changing any settings close the page and then the mic works
If I dont I cannot get a mic level

It's never a problem just wondering why that is

Thanks
Roll on auria pro can't wait
Hmm. That's a new one to me. It is similar to Thor's problem though. I have to go into midi settings (which are already set to the right input) and then exit to get it to see midi input.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Antonio's Lounge

Post by Antonio's Lounge » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Hey I have the io Dock II as well and this happened to me before too, at least without a guitar involved. Unfortunately, from what I could find, audiobus makes new tracks come up in stereo automatically and I haven't found a way to change that yet unfortunately. My best guess would be to first check and see if singaling can be used througn Inter-app audio as an effect, instead of through audiobus and the same for JAM UP. Auria' s Inter-app works the same as if you were adding an effect, like convolution reverb. JAM UP may be in there twice, as the first half of the list is for instruments normally and the second half is for effects, even if it doesn't distinguish it sometimes. Once you check on that, create two mono tracks, use the input matrix to assign them for recording (this time only one light should be on for both), then put singaling in your mic track and JAM UP in your guitar track as effects. Once you press record on both, they should only show levels for those assigned inputs. You could also turn on record monitoring in Auria's settings if you wanted. If someone has a better solution, please add it because I'm new at this myself. UPDATE(2nd thought: Jam UP may work as either effect or instrument in this case with inter-app)
Last edited by Antonio's Lounge on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuitaristfromtheRock

Post by GuitaristfromtheRock » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:19 pm

THANKS Antonio's Lounge, I'll certainly give that a try :D