Major Auria Announcement

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Re: Major Auria Announcement

Post by CEIsar » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:39 am

mtingle wrote:from the edit window track size, it appears that the record button and fx button are prioritised over the mute and solo buttons as the track size gets larger. This is in contrast to how it works at the moment with mute and solo appearing first as you enlarge a track size vertically.

Not sure whether your responding to user feedback to make that change but I'd like to add a vote to mute/solo arrangement being prioritised when track height is small. These are used all the time whether I'm tracking or mixing.

If it's possible being able to choose in an option which buttons to prioritise would be ideal. When your recording I'm sure the record button is useful being available but once the recording phase is over it's completely redundant.

fx is always useful and should be somewhere near the top.

Ideally mute/solo would be available along side the tack name. yes, they are that useful!
I second that.But an option to choose would be ideal of course :wink:
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

SSquared

Post by SSquared » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:31 pm

This update looks great and was a nice surprise to get the announcement. I'm curious to know if the MIDI is pattern or song based. In other words, can I create various patterns and string them together, or do you create a song as a whole? If it is pattern-based, can I tap to switch patterns live?

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:36 pm

Looks amazing! Great job guys. Will be purchasing for sure! :D
iPad Air 2 128 gig wifi, iOS 11.4, Auria 2.0. Focusrite itrack dock. iFretless Bass, iRig Pro, Rode NT2-A recording mic, Takamine G-Series AC Gtr. Cole Clark Angel 2 Bunya/Blackwood acoustic.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:28 pm

TedBPhx wrote:Does the new Auria allow loop markers at the track level instead of just global? That would be useful to me.
Rim wrote:No, that wouldn't work in a traditional DAW. Auria works like Pro Tools, Logic and other desktop DAWs, where looping is global.

Rim
Logic does allow regions of arbitrary length to be set to loop per track. This is separate from the global timeline loop. In it's simplest use case, you can import something like a drum loop, set the region to 'loop' and logic ghost fills the timeline with repetitions of that loop. It's like selecting a region in Auria and hitting duplicate 150 times but without it actually creating any new audio (and with one button hit). If you want the loop to end somewhere, say at the chorus of your tune, you just slice the ghost regions. Very handy stuff! I would love to see this float to the top of the todo list one day.

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:39 am

Yep, this Logic feature I use(d) all the time. You were also able to terminate a loop by inserting an empty (or other "normal") part after it. But I feel pretty bad for making feature requests after this already huge announcement. :?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:05 am

Interesting, I wasn't aware Logic could do that.

Rim

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:03 am

Actually, in the last Logic version I used (5.5.1), it was simply a "Loop on/off" switch in the part inspector.

Speaking of this: Another related and almost indispensable feature is Aliases, i.e. you duplicate a part, but in reality it's the same part, only in a different place (some call it "pattern"). So uses the same note data etc. as the original, but can still be trimmed, or - in the best case - its MIDI parameters (delay, transpose etc.) modified individually.

Is something like this included or in the plans?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 am

Since Auria is a non-destructive DAW, all regions (audio or MIDI) behave this way. Once you duplicate a region, you can independently adjust its trim handles and fades, and in the case of MIDI regions, the actual notes without affecting the original.

Rim

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:14 am

OK, maybe I should clarify:

Most other DAWs (at least Cubase, Logic, and NanoStudio) offer an explicit "destructive" duplicate option, where the duplicates have their data (notes, controllers etc.) linked to the original. Editing the notes or CCs of the original or any of the duplicates will update ALL copies. This is very useful in complex arrangements where a central idea is duplicated throughout the song (say, a drum pattern or the main hook), and you decide you change it after arranging.

Surely you must have seen this :wink:

(BUT: If you do anything to one of the part's parameters (change a part's length, MIDI effects, MIDI delay etc.), THESE belong to the individual copies and can be modified independantly per "linked duplicate".

So you could for example take a melody, "link-duplicate" that part to another track, set MIDI transpose there to +12, then change notes in one of the parts at any later time and all duplicates would get the new notes, but retain their individual adjustments (transpose, etc.)

Just try it in Logic :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:25 am

I suppose I'm learning as I go :). I'll look into that, as it wouldn't be too difficult to add.

Thanks,
Rim

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 am

Thanks Rim. If you do, you could indicate the fact that a part is linked to another one (or is the "source" of linked other ones) by including a little chain icon or similar in the part. When opening a part for editing, Auria should ask "This is a linked part. Do you want to make this part independant, or edit the original?" or something along the lines. When selecting the first option, Auria should make a "real", independant copy of the note/controller data for the part being edited.

Also, please try to leave the "part parameters" (from the screenshots: MIDI transpose, MIDI delay etc.) editable PER PART, so you can still do useful "global" transformations for SOME aliases. It should also be possible to change the length / start of individual aliases. This is all very useful especially in electronic music.

Appreciate your efforts!

(I started this whole thing because someone else mentioned the "Loop" toggle of Logic, which is a simpler version of aliases)

Sinapsya
Expert

Post by Sinapsya » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi Rim, there is only 1 video of Auria Pro preview at NAMM???

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:05 pm

I believe we had three or four video interviews at NAMM, but so far I only know of the one video that's been released. As soon as we discover more, we'll post info on the forum. Sometimes it takes a few days for them to get the videos posted.

Rim

Br8zinn
Expert

Post by Br8zinn » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Just hope it works in 7 iOS as opposed to 8,,,,,just out is 8.03 or something like that,lmao,and people are already complaining,these new updates are scary,depending on what ipad you have,and I've. Searched the reviews and such and nowhere does it say that these updates will fix the problems with the air..and or if the air 2 is going to solve these issues,but hey..there pushing a new I watch soon to come out and a iOS 8,3 new update to go along with the watch crap thing to synch or something with the iPhone....I can only scream in question like robin from batman"holy Gotham city"
Where is Steve jobs...man I miss that guy....it's like there forgetting about the ipad....look I'm no programmer but you can't fit a system into a watch and have it run and synch or whatever with an ipad...maybe the phone...they really should just concentrate on a stand alone so to speak ipad.....THEREFORE..@rim.....I beg of you...I know it sounds backwards so to speak for all your innovation for the ipad which truly rocs....is there anyway you can get or have AURIA PRO for a Mac ,even just the air...or another touch laptop hybrid....just thinking and hoping...that apple and there iOS crap get it together,I'm lucky enough to have 3 iPads.....the 1-2 and 4....but ya know my 2 rocks even my friends air as far as quirks and such....not everyone can afford to be buying a new ipad everytime a new update comes out just to have it run smooth and then like the air only to have problems....Ahhh..life...sometimes it's just like that...greatest of all to you guys,really hope AURAI pro will run on my 2....cheers...

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Auria Pro will be available Spring 2015 and will be priced at $49.99
So....... Technically, it's not really spring here in lovely Wisconsin. But, even when March and April hit, it still may not be spring seeing as how we got snow in late April last year.

So maybe we can consider Feb. 1st Spring, and Auria Pro will be released? :mrgreen:

Really, I just have about $30.00 of itunes gift cards/credit burning a hole in my digital pocket. And, I don't know if I can hang on to it until spring! What if a really cool app goes on sale, and some how the buy button gets pushed........

It looks great, and can't wait to own it.