M-AUDIO M-TRACK MKII

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BGR
Expert

M-AUDIO M-TRACK MKII

Post by BGR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Just received one today.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/m-track-mkii

Works OOB. No problems. Nothing to do but to connect it with a powered USB hub via a Camera Connection Kit to USB to start using it.

I connect my interfaces like fgplayerx recommends to stay mobile. It just works.

What I liked on the first test:
-LED VU meters for each input.
-Nice clean sound -but I am no expert so don't take my word on this-.
-And, it can also work as a basic standalone mixer. No computer or iPad is necesary. Not even a powered USB hub. Just connect it directly to a mobile phone portable battery charger like fgplayerx recommends and you have your own basic two channel preamp-mixer -I really liked this-.

What I did not like on the first test:
-The gain knobs don't have any type of markings around them. It is quite difficult to find your recording levels again because it seems to apply gain in a exponential manner. Not in a linear manner.

I'll edit this post once I make some more tests.

BGR
Expert

Re: M-AUDIO M-TRACK MKII

Post by BGR » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:17 am

EDIT:
This is the first recording I made trying out the interface.

Since I spoke mainly in Spanish I will type for you what I meant.

This is a FLAC file. Feel free to download and hear and see the FFT Analysis in your favourite software or DAW.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sj0gomyvjmx2 ... .flac?dl=0

I used two AKG C3000 panned left and right in the recording. One has the Bass Roll Off Active. The other not. The microphones were side by side. With a sE Electronics RF-X Reflexion Filter X behind them. And I was sitting roughly 35 centimetres from the microphones.

The low frequency level hum you will hear is from a snow removal truck -I believe- that was not close but in the area. The hum was not so present but you could clearly hear it in the background if you paid attention.

The room is a normal living room with a big sofa, carpet floor and wooden furniture all around. Still, apart from the low level hum, is was quite quiet.

I would recommend that you separate the tracks in your DAW so you can hear and analyse the tracks independently.

Recorded using the M-Track M-Audio MKII interface using a powered USB hub and a mobile phone portable 5V battery charger providing 2.1A -like fgplayerx recommends- into a stereo track at 44.1 and using Auria. Transferred to an iMac. Converted to FLAC using XLD. And uploaded to Dropbox.

No EQs, Compresors, Fades or Editing. Original recording.

Please be aware that it will get loud at the end.

So,

Minute: 0:00 to 1:00 approx. Both gain inputs knobs pointing roughly at 12 o'clock. A brief description of the test I was doing followed by a few seconds of room silence.

Minute: 1:00 to 1:40 approx. Both gain inputs knobs pointing roughly at 1 o'clock. A brief description about one microphone having the Bass Roll Off active and the other one not. Followed by a few seconds of room silence.

Minute: 1:40 to 2:13 approx. Both gain inputs knobs pointing roughly at 2 o'clock. A brief description followed by a few seconds of room silence.

Minute: 2:13 to 2:46 approx. Both gain inputs knobs pointing roughly at 3 o'clock. A brief description followed by a few seconds of room silence.

Minute: 2:46 to 3:18 approx. Both gain inputs knobs pointing roughly at 4 o'clock. A brief description followed by a few seconds of room silence.

Minute: 3:18 to 3:49 approx. Both gain inputs knobs pointing roughly at 5 o'clock or Maximum gain. A brief description followed by a few seconds of room silence.

Minute: 3:49 till the end of file. Playing around with the knobs.