How much free space do I need?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Renfield
Expert

How much free space do I need?

Post by Renfield » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Hello!

I'm recording with Auria on my iPad 2 16gb. How much space should I have to record without any problems with cpu? Now I've about 4 gb. I record two guitars, three voices, drums from Drumperfect and bass. I don't need much free space for Cubasis but I like Auria way much more and don't want to go back.

Renfield
Expert

Re: How much free space do I need?

Post by Renfield » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:37 pm

Anyone?

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:29 pm

I usually had between 7 and 10 gigs free on my iPad 2 without any issues, but the most tracks I ever recorded at one time was 2.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:39 pm

There are three concepts to be familiar with when using an iPad app:

1. Disk Space: This is how much space your iPad has available to store your apps and your projects. If you have a 16GB iPad, you have 16GB available to put apps and your Auria projects onto (after iOS takes some for itself). Depending on how many tracks each project is, this could mean 10 or 100 projects. It's hard to say exactly without knowing each project size.

2. CPU: You can think of the CPU as the engine inside your iPad. Just like some cars have faster engines, some iPads have faster CPUs than others. The Air 2 is the iPad with the fastest CPU at the moment. An iPad with a faster CPU will allow you to do more things at once, and in Auria that means you can use more plugins at the same time in your project without getting a CPU warning.

3. Memory (also called RAM): In addition to disk space, apps also need a temporary "scratch pad" area to store things while the app is being run. Think of this as "short term memory" in your brain. If you don't have enough RAM, you may get a memory warning. In Auria, plugins use RAM, and playing a lot of tracks at once uses RAM. It's important to keep an eye on the memory meter in Auria to make sure you don't use too much.

Hope this helps.

Rim

Renfield
Expert

Post by Renfield » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:38 am

Thanks for the answers! Had no idea about this! I have many plug ins on every track. Maybe I should use fewer.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:35 am

Renfield wrote:Thanks for the answers! Had no idea about this! I have many plug ins on every track. Maybe I should use fewer.
Some effects (e.g. reverb) are often better used as 'send' effects, rather than 'inserts' - i.e. several tracks can happily share one instance of reverb, instead of having a separate instance on each track that needs some.

Having said that, don't forget that if you have finished working on a particular track (editing regions, tweaking FX, etc.) you can 'freeze' the track. You can un-freeze it again, if changes are required later, but freezing frees ( :wink: ) up the iPad resources that the track's FX were using.

Renfield
Expert

Post by Renfield » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:08 am

Freezing track is one of my favourit tools! Thanks for the advice on using send effects! Thinking of sending all voices (lead and harmonies) to a bus and compress them togheter instead of having compression on every single track.