Punch in

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Tourniquet
Expert

Punch in

Post by Tourniquet » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:31 pm

I just tried this in Auria, set my markers. Using JamUp and Audiobus, and as soon as I started to record and was ready for the punch in, I couldn't hear any of the track I recorded? So, I wasn't able to tell where to punch in. Then, where I set the first marker, overlapped a bit of the guitar I recorded, it was just silence over that part until I reached a part where it was just the new guitar part. I'm switching tempos so I thought this might be the way to go. But, can't get it to work quite right.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

King
Expert

Re: Punch in

Post by King » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:18 am

Hey @Tourniquet,
Not 100% sure of your description, but..

I did a little Punch-in test myself last night (just to see how it works).
The area/position where you have your (Locators) will be silenced on that track whilst punching in.
This is good, as eg: a vocalist sings a wrong phrase/word, if it were to play back it may be off putting. (I'm sure you know that). So your locators are important for this. (Your locators locations).
I can't say about the Audiobus setup. Try experimenting without, so you will know how it's works, then add to taste!

Alternatively you could punch-in on another/seperate track, which means cutting the original audio etc..

I'm going by what I understood. :)

Let us know how you get on!

Also remember markers and locators are different!
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:26 am

Hello @King!

Thank you for the reply.

Ok, so the silence part where I am punching in makes sense. I would want there to be no audio at that position. I can't figure out why there isn't any audio prior to the point I want to punch in at. So, I can't figure out where I am on the track, to know when to punch in. I think it may have something to do with, Normally after I record something in Auria, I can't hear what I have recorded without disabling the track from recording. So when I am recording a punch in, the track is armed for recording(of course ;) ), thus I cannot hear my recorded guitar part.

I'll try maybe something like you suggested, punching in on a separate track. Then with the original audio, I'd be able to hear it since that track would not be armed. My only fear would be getting the two tracks to fit together nicely.

King
Expert

Post by King » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:35 am

Hmm.. When I tested it, I was able to hear what is on the track prior to the punch-in area!

When you say "Getting the two track to fit together nicely" not sure if you mean musically? (If so, your on your own there my friend). :wink: (Or maybe not, there is always collaboration).

If you mean in the Edit page, don't worry! When moving the regions vertically we have a slight margin for error. As long as you don't move the region to far left/right, it will snap back into exactly the same place on the Timeline.. but a different track, obviously. (This also has nothing to do with the snap settings).

Suggestion: Start a new project and have a play around with the Punch-in and dragging.
The way I do my thing is by testing it out until I know it. (Sometimes by starting a new test project). Then I can use what I have learnt on a project, and fully commit. I do this not only in Auria!

PS: There's always undo.. :)

Hope this helps..
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________