Any reason to buy Final Touch if you already have Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Holiday

Any reason to buy Final Touch if you already have Auria?

Post by Holiday » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Maybe it's a no brainer at the price Final Touch is at now but I wonder if I can't just do the same to equal end in Auria.

TedBPhx
Expert

Re: Any reason to buy Final Touch if you already have Auria?

Post by TedBPhx » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Final Touch is easier to get to the good-enough-for-me level of mastering.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:15 pm

The thing I like about Final Touch is that I have to "finish" a mix and export it from Auria to do the mastering. When I've tried to master in Auria, the mix kind of suffers because I think I can master and mix at the same time. I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help myself. My teachers always told me that I lacked discipline.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Holiday wrote:Maybe it's a no brainer at the price Final Touch is at now but I wonder if I can't just do the same to equal end in Auria.
I was asking myself the same question, and after a closer look I decided against FinalTouch. But this app may be useful for some applications, for example if you have mixed several tracks for an album and want to do a 'master'. I don't know.

Generally I think sending the mixes to another person for mastering is more worth than any mastering software. And if I need a better mix or a mastering job, there is always the option to transfer the session to a DAW on a computer. I don't see the need to do everything on the iPad.

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:41 pm

I often find myself wanting to adjust the mix during mastering (especially the bassdrum and bassline in EDM, and often reverb / delay levels as well), as mastering often changes the stereo width and spectral balance. So I always master "live" 8)

Holiday

Post by Holiday » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:37 am

Thanks for the replies. I noticed there is also Audio Mastering app as well which some people like. I'd like to try, as a concept/experiment, doing a track(s) completely in iPad. Just to see what can be accomplished. So I was looking at Final Touch and now Audio Mastering apps as a possibility. Then again, I'm pretty sure you can master with Fabfilter plugins. Their EQ can also be used in Linear Phase as well there is the Pro-MB and so on.

*Actually I just realized that the plugin add-on for Auria like Fabfilter is quite the investment. At least $100 or so.

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:16 am

Holiday wrote:Thanks for the replies. I noticed there is also Audio Mastering app as well which some people like. I'd like to try, as a concept/experiment, doing a track(s) completely in iPad. Just to see what can be accomplished. So I was looking at Final Touch and now Audio Mastering apps as a possibility. Then again, I'm pretty sure you can master with Fabfilter plugins. Their EQ can also be used in Linear Phase as well there is the Pro-MB and so on.

*Actually I just realized that the plugin add-on for Auria like Fabfilter is quite the investment. At least $100 or so.
Check out this excellent comparison: http://innerportalstudio.com/ios-master ... omparison/

I have both but I find myself using Final Touch more, just because the GUI is excellent and they have a good series of tutorials on it so I know how it should be used. The dev for Audio Mastering is top notch and makes some amazing apps but I feel like I'd be better off knowing more about mastering before diving into that app. They are both cheap for what they do so it's probably a good idea to have both. FabFilter are of course amazing but you have to pay for the privilege and they don't do sales that often (I missed the last one). I'm hopeful there will be another.

The main advantages to me for using another app is that you have a dedicated toolset for the job and in a mastering app you have all of the processing power and memory dedicated, in Auria you might have to freeze tracks or open the bounced master in a new project, I just prefer to keep the tasks separate.

These apps are great for fixing up tracks before uploading to soundcloud or whatever but if I ever get to the stage where I'd charge for music I'd get them mastered by a pro.

Holiday

Post by Holiday » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:35 am

Just wondering if I wanted to use a different converter to go from 96K to 44.1K if I can export out of Final Touch at 96K?