Gog files and iFunbox restrictions in iOS 8.3

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

richardyot
Expert

Gog files and iFunbox restrictions in iOS 8.3

Post by richardyot » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:24 am

Now that Apple seem to have completely locked down the file system in iOS 8.3, will it still be possible to add drumagog files to Auria outside of the in-app purchases?

I have added my desktop drumagog files to Auria using iFunbox, and I am considering buying the percussion add-ons from the WML site, and currently I'm still running iOS 7 but I'm concerned about how to expand my drumagog library on future devices.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Gog files and iFunbox restrictions in iOS 8.3

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:59 am

As far as I know, there's no solution for this at the moment. Apple seems to have patched some security holes which now prevent any of these file access apps from working...

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:05 am

So is there any way to add drumagog files to Auria in 8.3?

If the answer is no then maybe you could offer some as in-app purchases. Personally I think this move on Apple's part is really bad news for iOS music, there are so many apps affected by this.

manfredloe

Post by manfredloe » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Maybe this is helpfull:
Yesterday I used "copy trans apps" to copy pdf-files from my PC to my iPad (iOS 8.3) and the other way around (the app is called Goodreader).
I'm not at my PC at the moment, so I can't check if it works with Auria too. But maybe you want to give it a try?
http://www.copytrans.de/
Manfred

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:48 am

Thanks, but this won't help with Drumagog files.

Rim, do you think you could offer some extra Gog files via IAP? I don't mind paying for them, I have really come to rely on Drumagog, and it's nice to have a decent selection of sounds. Currently I use the ones that come with the desktop Drumagog, which has a lot more sets available than the iOS plugin. I'd also like the add the percussion pack, but I don't want to buy the desktop percussion pack version if I can't use it on iOS, I would rather have an iOS only version.

Presumably since Apple have locked all this down you can offer Gog files for iOS without worrying that people might use them on the desktop.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:24 am

It's always risky to write a program that takes advantage of a buggy feature or workaround because devs know that the feature can become useless when the buggy feature is fixed by an OS update. Just like this time.

Of course, to us it appears that Apple is trying to make it difficult for us musician's, but the security holes are fixed for other reasons.

This sandbox concept is truly a double edged issue.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:55 am

martygras wrote:It's always risky to write a program that takes advantage of a buggy feature or workaround because devs know that the feature can become useless when the buggy feature is fixed by an OS update. Just like this time.
I agree, which is why I think the ideal solution for this particular problem (gog files) would be to allow the users to buy more samples via IAP.

Otherwise, the only alternative will be jailbreaking, which sucks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm going to wait and see if the file access apps are able to resolve this issue. It's still early into 8.3, and it's possible they might solve this somehow.

Rim

Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:47 pm

While hopefully Apple and iFunBox will work things out and get an 8.3 compatible version going, in the meantime there is a way to add new .gog files to Drumagog in Auria using iTunes and .zip files.

If you have some .gog files you want to move onto the iPad, first make a folder called "Gog Files", and then inside that make another folder with whatever name you'd like (like "My Gogs", "Giant Snares", etc), and finally put your new .gog files inside that interior folder. Then .zip the Gog Files folder into a .zip file, and using iTunes drag it into Auria's Documents folder. The next time you run Auria it will find the .zip and decompress the contents, adding the new content into the existing "Gog Files" folder (without overwriting anything).
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:21 pm

Thanks for that Matt. I need to try this out.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks for posting that Matt, I might take the plunge on that percussion pack then.