Major Auria Announcement

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

martygras
Expert

Re: Major Auria Announcement

Post by martygras » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 am

shiroiyuki wrote:Hello,

I'll get a little upset here...

Let me tell you my story so you understand why is that.

I bought Auria over a year ago, after I informed myself about the product as far as I could. It was a DAW without a MIDI Editor, but the 'Word' was like it comes 'soon' as a update. I got the impression, this update will come in 1 or 2 weeks, so I bought it to get familiar with the handling until the update completes the product.

Now, after over a Year, a new Auria Version is announced, with that promised MIDI Editing capabilities, and of course, you have to buy it again.

Now I'm really feel ripped off!

I've paid 50 Euros for the full Auria Version, plus all the PSP Plugins. In the past year, I've spend servel more Euros on MIDI-Sequencers to find one that works together with Auria (Start/stop behaviour). That was way more money that I've initially spend on the Auria App alone and I still got no satisfying solution.

Well, and today, there is still no update/new version that was first officially announced in january?
Sorry, but this is real customer ripoff. How much do I have to pay if that new Version ever comes out?

Right now Cubasis is on Sale, but I dont want to buy another Sequencer App only to find out its not working with the Auria combination and I, again, waste money. Then this new Auria announcement...
I really have no clue what to do and I dont like to feel like that.

As awesome as Auria is in itself, this stuff is the biggest rock in my way on making music on the ipad.
Its like a curse, everytime I'm starting to do some music on the ipad, it always ends up the same way. I'll shutdown the ipad and like to introduce it to the nearest wall, because some problems driving me crazy that I wont have if Auria had its promised MIDI capabilities. And on top of that it makes me feel dumb, dumb for spending so much money on stuff you cant work with like you thought you can and even spend more money on trying to fix that issues with 3rd party apps.

I'm sure not all having this issues because every musician has its own workflow. But I'm pretty sure, I'm not the only one who feels like this at the moment.

* SO PLEASE TELL US A RELEASE DATE AND HOW MUCH WE HAVE TO PAY! (AGAIN!)
* IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET A BETA VERSION OR WHATEVER?
* WILL ALL MY MONEY SPEND ON PLUGINS BE WASTED?
* DO I HAVE TO MANUALLY MOVE MY PROJECTS INTO NEW AURIA?

(now) pretty upset,
Sascha

P.S.: If I could, I'd like to smack your head onto your desk just to show you how I feel in my head right now :evil:
I think you bought some software that does exactly what it said it does (better than any other iOS DAW), and you are unhappy (and threatening) to the staff?

Is Auria not working the way it says it does?
Are you saying that you cannot write any music without the aid of MIDI sequencing?
Many of the accusations you make are answered in this thread so please read the whole thread.
Believe me. You did not waste your money.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

shiroiyuki

Post by shiroiyuki » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:43 am

martygras wrote:[I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
To make it short, I'll answer with your sig. scnr ;)

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:49 am

This is exactly why Rim (and several other devs) avoid promising delivery at a specific date, unless imminent.

Auria was released as an audio-only DAW and it was never suggested that adding MIDI sequencing would be a free upgrade. Rim always stated that he hoped to add it and, later, that he was working on it but that he would not commit to a release date. More recently, he was pressured into hinting at a 'Spring' release but that it wasn't even in beta testing yet.

What has been committed to is that a 'Pro' upgrade will be available as an IAP for existing Auria owners. Upgrading an existing Auria will retain all previously purchased IAP plugins, etc.. A new edition of Auria (Auria Pro) will also be available and that will cost more than the 'Pro' IAP. However, that separate app will not be able to restore any IAPs purchased within the current Auria app. That is a limitation of Apple's App Store model, not Rim's decision or choice.

I'm sure we all have things we'd like to see added, improved (or simply fixed) with Auria - I know I do - and waiting for them can be very frustrating. No matter what you think you remember, @shiroiyuki, when you purchased Auria a year ago, no one said that MIDI sequencing was going to be added 'soon' or 'in 1 or 2 weeks'. Rim always said that adding MIDI was a major task and would take quite some time - how much time, he wouldn't say. He suggested it would be ready when it was ready.

I don't speak for Rim, of course. But do a search on Rim's past posts in this forum containing the words "MIDI", "sequencer", etc. and you'll see that what I said above is true.

If you can be patient a little while longer, I'm sure you'll be pleased with what Rim eventually delivers. Your investment won't be wasted and the upgrade cost will be fair. 'Nuff said! :)

Now, where's my danged <insert most desired enhancement here>, @Rim? :lol:

King
Expert

Post by King » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:59 am

I myself have bought all the Fabfilter plug-ins and some of the others recently £'$ (so eating bread and drinking water) :) bought in anticipation for Pro! That's how confident I'm feeling about it.

I like when you said "Sounds funny but feels sad". :) I'm gonna use that one!

Regarding the threats, I hope they were just some Cyberspaced-Virtual-Reality type!

Yes Auria as it is, is still a top-top!

Auria Pro.. Ready when you are!!!
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:55 pm

shiroiyuki wrote:
martygras wrote:[I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
To make it short, I'll answer with your sig. scnr ;)
Yes, a professional drummer that gets paid. So there's that. :mrgreen:

But honestly shiroiuki it sounds like you don't even know how to use Auria at all yet. You need to read the very well written manual, and there's clear and easy to understand tutorials over at Lynda.com that are worth the subscrption price.
They're even easy enough for a drummer to understand. :wink:

Get in there and get your hands dirty and make as many mistakes as you can, as fast as you can. That's how you learn.

Tmidiman

Post by Tmidiman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:22 am

I have to say that while I look forward to the addition of midi for use in quickly sketching out a groove I do not care for the look of the GUI. I much more prefer the vintage look. If there is no option to keep the old look I'll just opt to not upgrade.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:11 am

Tmidiman wrote:I have to say that while I look forward to the addition of midi for use in quickly sketching out a groove I do not care for the look of the GUI. I much more prefer the vintage look. If there is no option to keep the old look I'll just opt to not upgrade.
You can keep the old look :) That is, you're allowed to retain it :wink:

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:55 am

I didn't like Auria's color scheme when I first started using it years ago, so it's funny how a few are saying they don't care for the new look.
Having seen all of the skins written by users for Reaper and the other DAWs for PC and Mac, I believe it is fairly nice looking and functional comparatively. Using it in lit and dark rooms may have better or worse results.

Most people tend to like the first interface they experience and all others will seem foreign. It would be nice to have a choice of themes eventually, but this is hardly a big issue for me. Functionality is master.

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:38 pm

Dark colors help to focus on things what are really important.
Dark colours do not disturb so much the audience.
Auria and iPad allowed to sit in the middle of the auditorium's sweet point.
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:54 pm

Auratech wrote:Auria and iPad allowed to sit in the middle of the auditorium's sweet point.
I wonder if Auria could even have a 'gig' mode where the colours are even more refined for 'invisibility' but remain functional in a darkened theatre type space.

King
Expert

Post by King » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Funny thing is at this exact time, there is a discussion about Auria's graphics on the AB forum. Hehe

My last post was:

"Wonder how the new sampler will look. A nice bright banana yellow, with luminous green buttons! Go ahead WML "Suprise me".
However it comes, I'm so looking forward to it. ;) "

Twilight Zone! Ha

Auria Pro! "Can you feel it"
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:09 am

Washboy wrote:
<snip>

What has been committed to is that a 'Pro' upgrade will be available as an IAP for existing Auria owners. Upgrading an existing Auria will retain all previously purchased IAP plugins, etc.. A new edition of Auria (Auria Pro) will also be available and that will cost more than the 'Pro' IAP. However, that separate app will not be able to restore any IAPs purchased within the current Auria app. That is a limitation of Apple's App Store model, not Rim's decision or choice.

<snip>

I'm curious about this.

1: If I "upgrade" my existing Auria to the "Pro IAP" I'll be able to retain my already purchased plugins.

2: If I spend more money to buy a new instance of "Auria Pro" then I will not be able to salvage prior expenditures and will need to re-purchase any plugins I wish to continue to use with the new installation, presuming that the plugin publishers can be bothered to release updated versions.

Is this more or less correct?

If so, regardless of the pointing direction of the blame finger this seems to be bass-ackwards.

Does one wind up with the same functionality overall using either upgrade path?

Hopefully, yes...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:13 am

In either case you'd be able to retain your plugins. In your second case, Auria Pro will detect that you Auria installed, and unlock the same plugins, so they're available in both versions.

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:24 am

Rim wrote:In either case you'd be able to retain your plugins. In your second case, Auria Pro will detect that you Auria installed, and unlock the same plugins, so they're available in both versions.

Rim
That's good to know - thanks. Personally I would prefer to buy the new version rather than upgrade the old one, I think that's more likely to be future-proof.

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:55 am

Rim wrote:In either case you'd be able to retain your plugins. In your second case, Auria Pro will detect that you Auria installed, and unlock the same plugins, so they're available in both versions.

Rim
Cool.

That's what I thought...

So whether one takes the left fork in the road or the right, all leads to the same place...

I'm not sure how I confused myself. Reading fora before enough coffee, probably.