BIAS FX

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bog music

BIAS FX

Post by Bog music » Fri May 01, 2015 8:39 am

I am scratching my head about Bias FX at the moment thinking about getting it on the strength of midi control for live play using a midi pedal board etc.

I already have Jamup Pro and BIAS AMP as well as the Auria built-in Jamup. In Positive Grid's promotional fluff they mention that BIAS FX is going to be more "Professional" than Jamup Pro which is destined to become more focused on jamming / practice.

So how will this affect Auria users like myself?

Thoughts anyone?

************************************************************EDIT***************************************************

I've just read this review though and I may go for it anyway
http://www.musicappblog.com/bias-fx-review/

martygras
Expert

Re: BIAS FX

Post by martygras » Fri May 01, 2015 10:35 am

That's a good question. As with all of the other IAP's for Auria, the developers, are resposible for any updates. My guess is that we won't see any updates to the Jamup IAP except for caompatibility fixes.

For metal I still have to mic my amp, ut I'm starting to work with Tonestack for rock and clean tones. I personally don't think the UI is very intuitive, but to each his own.

It's the functionality that really counts though, and Tonestack has some nice features. I'm just starting to learn it though.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

manfredloe

Post by manfredloe » Sat May 02, 2015 12:19 am

Some months ago I asked Positive Grid if there would be an update/new features for Jamup in Auria:
Answer was, there are no plans to do so at the moment

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Sat May 02, 2015 6:23 am

I've never seen an update of any sort to JamUp plugin since I bought it.

That sort of ticked me off.

It really ticks me off that I can't move IAPs from one bought standalone instance to the plug-in version. :(

Of course, I bought BiasFX anyway... :? :lol: :roll:

Sounds better...

Has 1.0 issues that will soon be fixed, hopefully, along with more IAPs to re-buy. :|

For ~$30 , it's tough to pass on it. :roll:

Bog music

Post by Bog music » Sat May 02, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks claudel,
If you say it sounds better I will go for it. I am not too worried about IAPs anyway, I tend to need restrictions to work against - give me too many options and I go blank :)
I will keep using the integrated Jamup in Auria (higher res than Jamup Pro I seem to remember) for when I want to record dry guitar and change the sounds later but I prefer to just record it "as played" as the playing style is often influenced by the sound anyway.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun May 03, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm still not sure what exactly bias FX is. Can anyone describe it in a nutshell?

King
Expert

Post by King » Sun May 03, 2015 5:26 pm

rickwaugh wrote:I'm still not sure what exactly bias FX is. Can anyone describe it in a nutshell?

Nutshell:

Guitar Amp and Effects Processor! :)
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun May 03, 2015 9:15 pm

I gathered that. :D but what makes it different? It can't simply be a competitor for their existing product. It almost sounds like a way to build amp and pedals models.

Remnant60

Post by Remnant60 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:21 pm

Yeah, I'm curious too...I've had BIAS for a while now, and have been able to shape up some amps in it that I like, or pull them off of the net from other users and port them over to JamUp to use with the effects available there. Fun stuff!
The only thing I see is the pedal-board upload/downloads that can be done by users...that might be VERY cool...but I
haven't looked into BIAS FX yet, just hearing things from folks like you on this and other boards.
Guess I'll have to get more iTunes $$... :roll:

Remnant60

Post by Remnant60 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:26 pm

It requires 8.x.x so I can't go there...I never updated past 7.1.2, and don't want to break something that works for me.

mpire

Post by mpire » Thu May 07, 2015 8:48 pm

it looks like the biggest difference is you can build rigs with more than one amp, so in that regard it seems like a response to tonestack.
You can also add IAA effects into your chain.

I haven't tried bias fx yet, so can't comment on the sound quality.

I do find the statement about jamup being targeted towards jamming a bit worrisome. Hopefully whatever that means won't involve removing existing features.

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Fri May 08, 2015 6:44 am

BiasFX is more or less JamUP II.

Same type of app, but new & improved.

Think of it as a $30 ( + new IAPs) upgrade...

The stereo output and parallel signal paths are def worth the $30 to me...

Hopefully the minor bugs will get fixed and some more effects released before too long.

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Sat May 09, 2015 9:00 am

rickwaugh wrote:I gathered that. :D but what makes it different? It can't simply be a competitor for their existing product. It almost sounds like a way to build amp and pedals models.
Ive been using Bias FX for a few days now, first Ill tell you what it doesnt have, it doesnt have the expansion packs Jam up pro does, or the pedals , it has some but not the one available via IAP, nor does it has a sampler, the 8 track, the jam feature, and it doesnt have the customization that Bias Amps does, having said that, its a BEAST!!!!

Though it doesnt have all the amps available in Jam up pro ( especially the IAP amps ) you can open any amp you have in Bias Amps, as far as pedals go there are 30 (five are actually racks, like eq, tube compression, chorus, delay and reverb )
Its sounds great of course but what really makes it different from Jam up pro (beside being able to use dual amps )is how much more you can have in your fx chain. Jam up pro will let you use an amp and up to 6 pedals, Bias Fx lets you go crazy, I dont know the max amount of pedals you can use but you can do things you really cant do in Jam Up Pro.

Another thing is you can use other apps via IAA but Im having issues with it, some dont seem to work as advertized, Im guessing it needs a few updates. Im loving it so far, I would definitely recommend getting it.

IMG_8118.PNG
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Sat May 09, 2015 9:14 am

mpire wrote:it looks like the biggest difference is you can build rigs with more than one amp, so in that regard it seems like a response to tonestack.
You can also add IAA effects into your chain.

I haven't tried bias fx yet, so can't comment on the sound quality.

I do find the statement about jamup being targeted towards jamming a bit worrisome. Hopefully whatever that means won't involve removing existing features.

You cant really think of it as Jam up II, some of the features of Jam up are definitely missing, Jam,Sampler and 8-Track are all missing, but it has a lot of things Jam Up Doesnt.
Its better than Tonestack imo, I think it sounds better and the interface is more intuitive, and if you have Jam up Pro you'll already feel familiar with it.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

rkmonkey
Expert

Post by rkmonkey » Sat May 09, 2015 7:51 pm

Don't know if it is the new sneaker effect but I just bought BIAS FX and HOLY COW! Just jamming with the presets makes me think this will be my go to as long as there are no CPU issues like I have with BIAS.