Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. How to be truly mobile.

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

fgplayerx
Expert

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. How to be truly mobile.

Post by fgplayerx » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:22 am

NOTE: This applies also to iTrack Solo. And possibly to other Scarlett or bus powered audio interfaces.

USB Powered? No powered USB Hub? No problem.

With these accessories, you will be able to remain completely mobile without the need of an electrical wall socket near by. I've tried this with an iPad Mini, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and a Focusrite iTrack Solo -via USB CCK-.

First image: a Y-Cable to B-Type USB. And a mobile phone 800mA external battery USB power supply. 800mA was enough to power two phantom powered microphones.
2i2-1-Cable-PowerSupply.jpg
y-Cable and Power Supply
2i2-1-Cable-PowerSupply.jpg (76.81 KiB) Viewed 60316 times
Second image: a simple 2.0 USB Hub. With no power option available -unpowered-. And the Lightning to USB Camera Connection Kit adapter.
2i2-2-USB-Hub-CCK-USB.jpg
2.0 USB Hub and CCK to USB.
2i2-2-USB-Hub-CCK-USB.jpg (77.66 KiB) Viewed 60316 times
Third image: all together.
2i2-3-AllTogether.JPG
All connected.
2i2-3-AllTogether.JPG (59.61 KiB) Viewed 60316 times
If you try to connect the already powered 2i2 with the Y-Cable directly to the CCK -without the Hub-, the iPad will tell you that it cant power the USB interface. But if you connect it through the Hub, it will work like a charm.

Try it out; and be free of wall sockets for a few hours.

martygras
Expert

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. How to be truly mobile.

Post by martygras » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for posting this over here fgplayerx.
As I noted in the MT DAW forum, I have tried this with an Akai EWI USB and it works great.
I'll try this cable with as many interfaces and controllers as I can.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:40 pm

CONFIRMED!

Followed fgplayers indications and found the same accessories in Amazon.de

-2x Rode M3
-Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with Phantom power for both M3
-Y-Cable
-800 mA Winten 5200 mAh WT-P52S-RD external USB power supply
-a simple unpowered Issy 2.0 USB Hub
-CCK to USB
-iPad mini
-Auria app

Always happy to not depend on wall sockets :)

fgplayerx
Expert

Post by fgplayerx » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:32 am

Glad to be of help!

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:08 am

My 2i2 was resetting randomly using your recommendations.

But I changed my mobile phone charger to one that outputs 5V, 2.1A. And the random resets stopped.

I hope this helps someone else.

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:43 am

Confirmed also for the Mackie Onyx Blackjack.

Equipment used to test it:
-Line Audio CM3. Phantom powered. Input 1.
-Rode M3. Phantom powered. Input 2.
-Onyx Blackjack. Providing 48V Phantom power.
-INTENSO MobyPack mobile phone charger. 5200mAh. 5V, 2.1A.
-small Logilink Passive 2.0 USB Hub.
-Y cable to connect the 2i2 to the hub and to the mobile charger.
-Camera Connection Kit to USB.
-iPad 4.

Deanster

Post by Deanster » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:49 am

I wonder why the hub is needed? Is the iPad powered as well? I assume you could use this rig with a car charger or wall charger if you wanted.

fgplayerx
Expert

Post by fgplayerx » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Deanster wrote:I wonder why the hub is needed? Is the iPad powered as well? I assume you could use this rig with a car charger or wall charger if you wanted.
The point of my post is to let everyone know that you don't need to be tied to an electrical wall socket. If your Audio Interface is USB powered and your power supply delivers USB 5V, you can use a rechargeable battery power supply if you wish.

I imagine that you can use a normal wall or auto charger. Just make sure it delivers USB 5V. My rechargeable battery operated power supply delivers 5V and 800mA maximum. And I have no problems with it. Others have had better results with a 2.1A power supply. The requirements from your Audio Interface should clarify how much you need. And the quality of the power supply is also important.

Then: No, the iPad is not charged in the process. You need a MFI interface to be able to do that.

And: the hub is needed. If you you connect your already powered audio interface directly to the CCK to USB, the iPad shows an error telling you that the interface needs to much power and can not power it.

Hope this helps.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 am

I'm having ground loop problems with my powered hub into my Scarlett 2i4, I might try this solution to see if it fixes it, since the wall outlet will no longer be necessary.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Thu May 22, 2014 1:23 pm

I can confirm that using this solution has solved my ground loop problems that I was having with my Scarlett 2i4. When using a mains powered hub there was a very loud hum when either my guitar or my microphone was plugged in, that got louder when my hands were close to the humbuckers or when I touched the mic. But with the battery the hum is completely gone.

A battery with a 5A input works fine, including phantom power for a condenser microphone.

If anyone from Focusrite is reading this, you really should isolate that USB input to prevent this problem.

fgplayerx
Expert

Post by fgplayerx » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:25 am

richardyot wrote:I'm having ground loop problems with my powered hub into my Scarlett 2i4, I might try this solution to see if it fixes it, since the wall outlet will no longer be necessary.
Glad to be of help :)

kjems

Post by kjems » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:41 am

Great tutorial, that did it for me.

Heres the proof :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGuQSeFznPI

I changed the battery with a normal usb-phone-charger. AND REMEMBER THE SMALL UNPOWERED USB HUB. Otherwise you will get the not-enough-power-error.

Kindly Jesper

http://www.kommunikerbedre.dk

hansendesigns

Post by hansendesigns » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Of course there is always the Roland Duo Capture EX which is battery powered (or bus powered or can be plugged)

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:26 pm

richardyot wrote:I can confirm that using this solution has solved my ground loop problems that I was having with my Scarlett 2i4. When using a mains powered hub there was a very loud hum when either my guitar or my microphone was plugged in, that got louder when my hands were close to the humbuckers or when I touched the mic. But with the battery the hum is completely gone.

A battery with a 5A input works fine, including phantom power for a condenser microphone.

If anyone from Focusrite is reading this, you really should isolate that USB input to prevent this problem.
@richardydot
You got me thinking about the ground hum. Is it possible that you had the power supply for the hub on a different circuit than the interface? That's the only thing I can think of to cause that hum.

Oh and @deanster: The hub (powered or not) fools the iPad or iPhone into thinking that the hub is the only thing attahed, and since its power requirements are within the acceptable amperage draw, it allows the connection. So it's a hack of sorts.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:15 am

martygras wrote: @richardydot
You got me thinking about the ground hum. Is it possible that you had the power supply for the hub on a different circuit than the interface? That's the only thing I can think of to cause that hum.
No, the interface doesn't have a power supply, it's bus-powered. But when I used a mains powered USB hub I got the ground loop hum, some research on the internet suggested this is a relatively common problem with the 2i4, it might be down to certain combinations of interface and hub. Anyway the solution with the battery works perfectly, I've been using it for over a year.