Synching Patterning to Auria via IAA

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

r3watson
Expert

Synching Patterning to Auria via IAA

Post by r3watson » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:17 am

I've been having troubles synching the Patterning app to Auria. The beat wavers, and extra hits appear while it plays, making recordings unusable. In Auria, I've set the MIDI settings to SEND CLOCK and SEND NOTES for Patterning, as this is what the screenshot in Auria manual indicates.

In Patterning, there is only a MIDI Receive choice available, so I hope I'm not missing something there.

Also, I'm trying to do this via IAA for Patterning.

Any suggestions would be great!

Randall

CEIsar
Expert

Re: Synching Patterning to Auria via IAA

Post by CEIsar » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:06 pm

You are not the only one unfortunately.I can't get it to sync either.And there are more reporting this at the audiobus forum.Works great with cubasis though.But i'm less and less interested in how it syncs to cubasis now that auria pro is so close :mrgreen:
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

r3watson
Expert

Post by r3watson » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:40 pm

Just heard from Patterning's developer that MIDI clock synch is "very finicky." Okay, the app won't work in Auria, can I get a refund? Does that sound like asking too much? When I use DrumPerfect, everything is solid as a rock! How did DP find a way to avoid the "finickiness" with MIDI clock synch? Just wondering, and hoping that Patterning may work in the future.
-iPad 4 32gig/-iOS 9.1/-Auria Pro/-Apogee Jam/-Not jailbroken

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:16 pm

To me, saying, "very finicky" is another way to say unreliable or non functioning. Why implement a function if you can't make it work?

Sometimes a feature does work properly under certain circumstances and not so well on other others. Maybe that's the case here, but what are the circumstances in which it does work? Then we can go from there.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Stiebz

Post by Stiebz » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:17 am

Did anyone managed to get Patterning to work within Auria Pro ?

Patterning is not even appearing in the midi device list, while all my other apps are available.
From what I understand, this is working OK in Cubasis, so why not in Auria Pro ?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me further.

Denzkps
Expert

Post by Denzkps » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:38 am

Hello.
I'm not sure but when playing, don't use a separate buffer size in settings Auria and when recording using separate buffer size. It work for me

-ki
Expert

Post by -ki » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:20 am

I had a look at the problem and here are my findings:

Looking at the IAA list in AudioShare, i can see that Patterning implements the IAA generator (sending out audio) and not IAA instrument (receiving midi & sync, sending out audio and midi).

For IAA instruments there is no need to setup any midi connection for sending, receiving or syncing, since this is done via the IAA instrument protocoll.

The two other possible IAA categories are IAA effect (receiving audio, sending outdio) and IAA music effect (receving midi and audio, sending out audio)

In Cubasis
  • the Inter-App Audio list shown in the Routing field of a track shows IAA Generators and IAA Instruments.

Setting cubase to 120BPM and Patterning to 80BM and then recording the track results in an audio track with an 80BPM recording. Start/Stop are therefore transmitted to patterning, but not the sync.
    One could send Midi clock from Cubase to Patterning to sync them and then it depends on the quality of the send clock and the implementation of the clock sync in Patterning.

For IAA instruments and generators, Cubasis records the output audio - one has to use another midi track and midi routing to setup midi playback of IAAs.
In AuriaPro
  • the instrument list of the channelstrip of a midi track shows only IAA instruments - therefore Patterning is not listed there.

Recording an IAA instrument sends the BPM and sync from AuriaPro to the IAA app and records the MIDI output of the app. I verified this with Arturia iSEM, Alchemy and Nave.

One can record IAA generators by inserting them into the FX insert of the channelstrip which lists IAA generators, instruments effects. Thats why some IAAs are listed several times.
    Auria adds (Instr) for instruments, (fx) for effects, (MEffect) for music effects and (Midi) for midi receicing effects to the names.

The track type can either be an audio or midi track. In both cases one has to manualy set up the routing of midi notes and midi clock in Auria Pro and in the IAA itself. The sync quality then depends on the IAAs implementation of the clock sync.

Using a midi track with an IAA generator FX insert allows to send notes from the track to the IAA like with an IAA instrument.
I hope i got everything correct, since i am no app developer - but at least software developper :)

Stiebz wrote:Did anyone managed to get Patterning to work within Auria Pro ?

Patterning is not even appearing in the midi device list, while all my other apps are available.
From what I understand, this is working OK in Cubasis, so why not in Auria Pro ?
To use Patterning (which is an IAA generator) in Auria or AuriaPro one needs to add it into the first insert of a track. Then under Auria settings / MIDI, enable the Core MIDI Outputs for 'Send Clock' and 'Send notes' of 'Patterning'.

-ki
Expert

Post by -ki » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:01 am

I have to clarify my previous statement:
  • To use Patterning in Auria or AuriaPro one needs to add it into the first insert of an audio track. Then under Auria settings / MIDI, enable the Core MIDI Outputs for 'Send Clock' of 'Patterning'.

In Patternings settings, one has to disable Ableton Link and then enable receiving of midi clock sync by Auria. Now Patterning displays midi clock synced in the settings and displays 'MIDI' in the center of its circular pattern display.
Patterning now follows the bpm and tempo of Auria. For recording the drum pattern, record enable the track and
press play and record. After recording the IAA generator, one has to disable the incoming Pattering audio by 'un-highlighting' the IN button of the Patterning insert in the channel strip window (otherwise the inserts audio would
overwrite the tracks audio). On my IPad Air 1 the timing was ok.

I also tested the sync quality with a changing tempo track. When there is an sudden tempo change, Patterning needs some time to adapt - but after an adaption the timing was good again. When using linear or smooth tempo changes, Patterning had some hickups with its tempo detection.

Audiogus

Post by Audiogus » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:26 am

it works just fine for me on my Air1 running iOS 8.4.1. It shows up as an IAA instrument and syncs as well as it ever did in Cubasis, which is to say quite well.

-ki
Expert

Post by -ki » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:30 pm

@Audiogus
I use an IPad Air with IOS 8.3 and updated versions of Patterning (1.0.6/17. Dec) and AuriaPro 2.2 (37529/19. Dec).
On my system Patterning is only an IAA Generator and not IAA Instrument and listed only in the insert FX list.

On your system, is Patterning really in the midi channels ChannelStrip / Midicontrol / Instrument popup together with Lyra, FF One and FF Twin ? Should be listed as Patterning(Inst). If this is the case, then i probably need to restall :)

Audiogus

Post by Audiogus » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Patterning is listed in the FX channel strip but now that you mention it there is no (inst) after it. However when loaded here it does work just like any other IAA instrument (like Egoist for example) in that it begins playing when I hit play in AP and stops when I hit stop in AP., so for my needs it is ok. I never actually tried loading Patterning onto a midi track and when I tried just now it was not listed. But yes, as I mentioned it works just fine for me on an audio track.

-ki wrote:@Audiogus
I use an IPad Air with IOS 8.3 and updated versions of Patterning (1.0.6/17. Dec) and AuriaPro 2.2 (37529/19. Dec).
On my system Patterning is only an IAA Generator and not IAA Instrument and listed only in the insert FX list.

On your system, is Patterning really in the midi channels ChannelStrip / Midicontrol / Instrument popup together with Lyra, FF One and FF Twin ? Should be listed as Patterning(Inst). If this is the case, then i probably need to restall :)
Last edited by Audiogus on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Audiogus

Post by Audiogus » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:57 pm

Oh, I should also note that in Pattering under 'midi configuration' Midi Clock is set to off. Also, in Auria Pro I am not sending anything special (MTC, MMX, CLOCK, REMOTE) to Patterning. Here is a shot showing the recording I just did. Mmmm, sync good!

Stiebz

Post by Stiebz » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:45 am

Thanks all for your extensive help, hope to try it later tonight !

Stiebz

Post by Stiebz » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:06 am

Just to let you know it worked ok.

Still a bit fiddly to work with IAA, as most apps need to be opened before starting Auria ( some don't), but still good fun !
Thanks all !