I Pad Pro is coming

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Nyanko
Expert

Re: I Pad Pro is coming

Post by Nyanko » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:21 pm

I am not sure it will be only available in landscape mode. Why not have two landscape apps running on portrait mode? If they can do one, they can do both I guess.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:15 pm

It would be nice to split the screen, when using IAA or audiobus. Make things a bit easier. Other than that, well, not to worked up. And I also just bough an air 2, and I love the form factor of it. So no rush.

I'm way more worked about Auria Pro. :D

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:31 pm

Nyanko wrote:I am not sure it will be only available in landscape mode. Why not have two landscape apps running on portrait mode? If they can do one, they can do both I guess.
Guess i made my post a little too confusing as i was basically saying the opposite :)

ALL apps (that support landscape view) can be used in splitscreen when you hold the pro in PORTRAIT mode and vice versa.

BUT most apps only deliver landscape view and therefore can not be used in splitscreen when you hold the pro in LANDSCAPE.

Because using the splitscreen and the pro in landscape you basically hold two minis (in portrait mode) next to each other.That's at least how i understand it.

Still,it's great that you can use everything "out of the box"in portrait mode.BIG advantage over air 2.I assume nothing will work in splitscreen (on air 2) that doesn't get an extra update for this purpose.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Argybargy

Post by Argybargy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Hey,

One reason the pro will suit some, is because it (allegedly if the Adobe "slip up" is true) has 4gb ram. If your like me (disorganised workflows, head off in tangents trying stuff out, end up with multiple versions of the same sample etc..) then 4gb is a dream come true... The screen size for me isn't the main thing as it's likely to chew up battery faster than running a white screen with the gps permanently on, so it's likely to be left on charge, a lot.

But think about the possibilities of the new chip, running multiple music apps, without having to constantly switch, with enough ram to hold a good 10 minutes of CD quality sound in Auria Pro.

Personally, I can't justify the expense, which probably means I'll get one on launch day and then spend the next three months trying to justify my purchase to the wife, willpower has never been my strongest point!

I'm interested to know from the dev team what they think about the iPad pro and if they foresee any issues or benefits to the beast of all iPads?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:20 am

During the Sept 9/2015 apple event that announced the iPad Pro, one of the female demonstrators of her companies app said this.

'' Because of the increased speed and memory of the new iPad Pro, we are able to now''...

This increase in memory she mentions is the 4 gb ram upgrade to the new iPad Pro. The Pro will need this added ram to run such a large screen and to be twice as fast as the iPad Air 2. It was also mentioned that the new iPad Pro will have the same battery life as the iPad Air 2 with all day battery or 10 hrs. This is indeed the iPad that will run our famed apps with a breath of air. Imagine the apps that will take advantage of this
iPad Pro in the near future. Cheers. :D

rowboat

Post by rowboat » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:29 pm

Xcode development environment, 4Gb RAM confirmation.
This must be a defining moment for iOS, no longer just a phone OS... now a "serious platform".
I would imagine its some great relief for committed iOS developers such as Auria.

Paired with the best people in the Semi-Conductor business working on the ARM processor,
this is "game on" for Intel and Microsoft.
Interesting cross road for Windows 10, MacOS, iOS over the next few years.
:D

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:05 am

Personally, I hope they sneak one in with the A9/4Gb that's the same size as the Air as an afterthought...

For my use, I could use the grunt power but I don't think I need it to be bigger...

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:10 am

claudel wrote:Personally, I hope they sneak one in with the A9/4Gb that's the same size as the Air as an afterthought...

For my use, I could use the grunt power but I don't think I need it to be bigger...
I'm sure the Air 3 will get the A9 and 4GB as well.Question is only:when ;)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:29 am

My wife surprised me in April with a new iPad Air 2 and it has been an incredibly invigorating experience on my music. The quality of some of the apps really surprised me, not just the fact that iOS had guitar modelers, groove programmers, etc.; I've been an Android user on the smartphone end since 2010 and have seen the varietu of apps. The surprising part was how good and totally professionally viable those apps are.

Auria, of course, is the most useful and unbelievable in my opinion. I started home recording at 17 yrs. old on a Tascam 424 cassette PortaStudio in 1993 so the ability to record and mix 24 track and beyond recordings on a thin Star Trek looking slate never ceases to amaze me.

I saw the iPad Pro materials on the Apple site and it looks very impressive, although the larger screen may be a bit awkward and take away some of the devices ergonimic balance. While I wouldn't turn one down, what saves me from gear lusting over it, is that for what I like to do with recording, it may be overkill.

One of the things I love about Auria is that it reminds me of those simpler times when ADATs and analog gear was the project studio norm. I have used Pro Tools quite a lot, like a lot of us no doubt have done. My problem with the modern big DAW workflow is that every part of the session is worked to death, tuned and rhythmically perfect and that is IF a final decision has even been made. The trap of having tons of options and alternate takes, tracks, etc. and endless possibilities leads to no permanent decisions at times or constant second guessing and futzing.

Auria's workflow and feature set is just complex enough to totally hang with a major DAW but yet simple enough that it is reminiscent of analog recording where more preproduction is necessary and some final decisions are necessary (submixing, recording with effects, etc.).
The iPad Pro in my view is taking a step away from that ease of use and any forced limitation that actually is quite positive. With more horsepower I can see myself adding more tracks, plug ins, etc. simply because I can. At least that's my initial vibe from the iPad Pro in my own situation.

Sorry about the disjointed ramble, just trying to say sometimes less is more and in my case the Air 2 and even just the current Auria is excellent for recording demos, and to just try and throwback to the '70's-'80's recording studios process.

(I know the anticipation for Auria Pro is huge for many and I will probably be touting how great my iPad Pro is working with Auria Pro this time next year...I am trying to keep my limitations as assets though for the time being, lol.)
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:57 pm

I'll be getting the I Pad Pro as soon as it comes out. I'm selling my VS-2480 to get the money. I'll be waiting till I get the Pro before I upgrade to Auria Pro but will still be getting it. I have an Air 2 now and I'll be keeping that too.

I'll need a new interphase because I use the Focusrite I Dock and there is no way it will fit but one step at a time.

Gonna be a good Winter!

Steve

Baby Huey

Post by Baby Huey » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:46 pm

I was really hoping the iPad Pro would have two lightning connectors. Being able to charge the unit while using an audio interface would be so convenient. It sucks having to take a break when you run low on power, or having to go mobile without a 100% charge.

Syltaldo

Post by Syltaldo » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:39 am

If you use Apogee´s Duet or One, they can charge your iPad while recording. :)

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:41 am

Not being able to charge the IPAD when an external interface is plugged in has always been a major handicap and although there are some interface units that allow charging while in use, these remain in the minority. If charging can be achieved using the likes of Apogee's duo etc then it should be technically possible for some third party company to make a dual adaptor that can receive two lighting connectors. I have raised this several times on the forums and no one seems to bite. This is a must if the IPAD pro is to capture business from the Laptop and other similar platforms that support charging while in use. I suspect a significant number of IPAD users find themselves close to running out of power at the most inconvenient of times. I wonder if anyone on the forum has seen any dual adaptor advertised that would allow an external interface and PSU to be plugged into the Lighting socket at the same time.