Let's See Your Auria Project Studio...

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

claudel
Expert

Re: Let's See Your Auria Project Studio...

Post by claudel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:11 am

Not stolen. Worn away... :lol:

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:02 am

claudel wrote:Not stolen. Worn away... :lol:
I used to break drumsticks and heads all the time but that is ridiculous. :shock:
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:12 am

Okay I can't resist the temptation to post a pic or two, but the studio is always changing. Every time I do a gig or run live sound for some bands the whole layout of the studio changes. Sorry for the poor quality photos. My last phone didn't do well indoors.
Attachments
studio-02.jpg
Guitar and bass corner of the room.
studio-02a.jpg
Drums and keys in the middle.
studio-01.jpg
The iOS part of the studio.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Wow - lots of lovely toys. Interesting to see a lot of pedals. I'm taking the view that cow I'm quite well sorted for pedals and amps that I like the sound of, I don't think I'm going to bother with amp apps etc.

Odd drum setup. Why not a Roland TD3 or something? To each his own. Do you trigger an app with that, or use the on board sounds?

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:19 am

Bob Amser wrote:Wow - lots of lovely toys. Interesting to see a lot of pedals. I'm taking the view that cow I'm quite well sorted for pedals and amps that I like the sound of, I don't think I'm going to bother with amp apps etc.

Odd drum setup. Why not a Roland TD3 or something? To each his own. Do you trigger an app with that, or use the on board sounds?
I do have a TD-9 brain that I plan to use on a stealth e-kit I'm building. I am trying out different drum apps to see which one's react quickly and are bulletproof enough for live use. Sampletank, Thumbjam, DM-1 etc.

If I have to go ITB for guitar I have several options that are satisfactory like JamUp and Tonestack. Also happy with Saturn and Timless 2 in conjunction with a convolution reverb or two.

And Bob I must admit that a lot of this gear is bought "used" for ridiculously low prices. Like the HPD-15 for $500 off of eBay with a stand and gig case. I get lucky and I'm in the right place at the right time a lot too.
Attachments
stealth-01.jpg
Yamaha kit
studio3.jpg
trigger mounts

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:56 pm

image.jpg
Moved from Seattle to Luxembourg, so new studio:

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:48 am

Wow. Very smart! Have you properly matched the acoustic characteristics of the pot plants? :lol:

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:41 am

Seattle to Luxembourg. Not a minor move!

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:43 pm

File 2015. 10. 18. 0 45 01.jpg
My living room playground
Last edited by Auratech on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Update June 2016: Current set up with Mackie monitors, Tascam US2x2 interface, ART Tube MP and iPad Air 2 64GB. Streamlined from previous setups.
image.jpg
Original post: My latest setup, being the fifth I've had since I started recording in 1993, is appropriately named Studio V (genius, I know...). My setups have always been mainly for recording demos for my songs. I prefer that instead of a simple piano/vocal or acoustic guitar/vocal demo that my demos are as close as possible to the finished idea I hear in my head. Plus, if the demo really kicks ass, and is recorded well, it can be the finished song then no problem.

I started with a Tascam 424 4 track cassette PortaStudio which I used for a few years and kept sounding decent by doing external bounces to my DAT machine and then putting that on a fresh tape. After that around '98 I then moved on to Tascam's last great analog PortaStudio, the 488 mkII 8 track cassette multitrack recorder. Now putting 8 tracks on a cassettes 1/8 inch width was an engineering marvel, but it was understandable if many believed it wouldn't sound very good. The Tascam 688 8 track MIDI PortaStudio released months before with close to the same technology showed that indeed these machines could sound quite good.

Tascam even touted that the 488 mkII had better frequency response, wow and flutter and headroom specs than the first Ampex and 3M 8 track machines released in the late 1960's. Hyperbole or not, if you recorded hot levels, didn't do internal bounces and kept arrangements clean the 488 mkII made great sounding analog recordings. I added a picture of the last setup with the analog PortaStudio stuff below.

I worked at project studios in the 1990's that had multiple ADATs and Mackie mixer set ups and later into the early 2000's Cubase & ProTools DAW setups but didn't have a digital home studio setup of my own until around 2004. I just had a PC and a light edition of ProTools with a m-audio interface and a few mics. Real simple and worked okay, but I missed the tactile feel of faders, buttons, etc. and I think everyone has a soft spot for their first recording tools and processes. I used the PC DAW off and on until recently, and admit to not doing a lot of recording over that time.

Which brings me to the present, and apologies for the blowhard exposition, just wanted to get across some context. I got a surprise from the wife early this year, an iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi, which was totally unexpected especially because I've been an Android smartphone user since they first came out. I really never wanted any Apple devices and aside from the iPod nano my wife had we had no others in the house.

It didn't take me long to discover that the Apple music making apps were light years away from the Android selection. I spent days and days researching apps, reading reviews and spending way too much dough on the App store. Of course after the guitar amp modelers and drum machines the app that completely blew me away was Auria. The feature set, the great looking inteface , the value/bang for the buck, etc... The thing that really got me was that the mouse/keyboard feel of a traditional DAW was gone and a more tactile, "analog" style "hands on" touch screen interface brought me back to the early days of PortaStudio recording.

My setup is very simple: Tascam US2x2 interface into the iPad with the Lightning to USB CCK, ART Tube MP for mic pre, Yamaha small MG10c input analog mixer for occasional submixing of sources (say micing a whole drum kit or bringing in more than two mics/inputs that the interface can handle), using the mixers Aux sends adding outboard effects from the DigiTech Studio Quad V2 multi-effects processor, AT 2020 condenser mic, Shure SM57's, a Novation Launchkey 25 MIDI controller and a couple pairs of Sony MDR-7506 headphones.

This is the most fun I've had recording since the times of my old PortaStudio setups. Recording with Auria is immediate, the sound quality is phenomenal and it is extremely powerful, very much a portable pro level DAW.
Thanks to the developers and the community here on the forum, in the short time I've been using Auria the people here have been informative and very cool.
Attachments
StudioResize.jpg
StudioVEdit3.jpg
StudioVFramed.jpg
Last edited by JRSIV on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:30 am

I miss my old Portastudio. We actually did take it everywhere. Rehearsal, live, out in the park. Those were good days.

Remnant60

Post by Remnant60 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:35 pm

martygras wrote:I miss my old Portastudio. We actually did take it everywhere. Rehearsal, live, out in the park. Those were good days.
I had the Fostex X-15, still do but channel 3 is kaput now. Same here, took it everywhere. The closed stairwells in the condo I was in had great reverb! And since nobody used them it was quiet too...

Lip206
Expert

Post by Lip206 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:14 am

Ok what the hell is the secret to post a picture every time it's says my pixels are to high