Auria Pro Midi notes hanging / Input Matrix freezing

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Morgan
Expert

Auria Pro Midi notes hanging / Input Matrix freezing

Post by Morgan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:15 pm

RIM first and foremost many congratulations on this fantastic update to Auria. I'm sure we are all going to find a few bugs as we progress through user testing. I assume this is the correct area to report such things.

1. I have upgraded Auria and using IPad 4 but soon to get IPad Pro but interim I have noticed that the Input Matrix screen won't close via the top right X and instead have to bring the Output Matrix screen up before the Input matrix screen goes away.

2. I use a Focusrite 18i8 and all is fine but on the odd occasion I get Midi notes hanging. Is there a clear button hidden anywhere if not is it possible to provide one. Cubasis has this which comes in handy. It saves having to switch the external midi keyboard on and off to clear the hanging notes.

Take care

Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria Pro Midi notes hanging / Input Matrix freezing

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:25 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't have any issues with the input matrix not closing here. I tap the X button, and it closes right away.

The stop button on the transport sends all notes off when you press it. But not all external MIDI devices recognize this, it's always possible that some devices will hang.

Rim

Old Master Bee

Post by Old Master Bee » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:18 pm

I was hoping to find a fix to midi notes hanging as I am also having this issue:(
Not a good day for me.

Update: It happens when I stop a track during a midi note playing, that note will then hang.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:01 am

Although I have no use for Cubasis now that RIM has added the this fantastic MIDI update I did find that the clear button Cubasis provided never failed to clear the hanging notes. I'm sure RIM will come to our rescue at some time when he has prioritised other fixes.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:57 am

Old Master Bee, if you're still using Auria 1.x, then there's not much I can do to help with that old version.

If anyone's getting any sort of notes hanging, please let me know how to reproduce this here. I would love to fix this if there's a bug involved.

Thanks,
Rim

Peanutcram
Expert

Post by Peanutcram » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:08 am

I had iSEM via IAA triggered by Aurias MIDI. When hitting stop in Auria the last note kept ringing.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:02 am

I don't have any issues at all here with hanging notes with iSEM. Here's what I did. Let me know if you did any of this differently:

1. Create a new project
2. Add a MIDI track
3. Go into the piano roll and tap to enter a bunch of notes
4. Add iSEM as an IAA in Track 1's instrument menu
5. Press play
6. While in the middle of a note, press stop

The note stops playing as expected.

Rim

Ayepad

Post by Ayepad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:57 am

Hi. I too have to say this new version looks amazing, and the demo videos had me drop my jaw.

Now, I bought "old" Auria, so I went for the update route for Pro. Apart from having the "no synth sounds" bug, which was fixed by deleting app, re-installing, restoring purchases etc, I now do have a similar bug to what is described in this thread, with midi instruments. Just to keep it simple I have tested primarily with Lyra, and the built-in sounds (to be able to exclude midi implementation in other apps).

My problem is that if I play 4-5 notes at the same time, all/half of them will hang/sustain for forever. This is me playing the internal virtual keyboard in Lyra, only. At other times (can't simply reproduce, thus struggle to explain exact procedure) all audio just disappears. Pressing the same keyboard keys again it all works (apart from the hanging/sustain) as far as audio is concerned.

At first I thought there could be an issue with my external keyboard (Alesis vi49), my sustain pedal, my external soundcard (Roland Duo Capture EX) or any of the cables between any of the devices, but as I found the virtual keyboard, and managed to reproduce the same issue there, I think I can safely exclude all external dependencies. It could be noted that my regular set-up works perfectly with Cubasis, MultitrackStudio etc though.

However, whilst I am here I can also say that I noticed the same problems with my external midi keyboard, with the following additions:
  • * Velocity was random. Anything between (an estimated by ear) 1-127 could happen.
    * My keyboard has aftertouch. If I used aftertouch and reached 127 (max) all audio would stop.
    * The rest is above, with notes hanging randomly and keeps going until either a crash or I have to shut down Auria.
At one point I managed to record a midi sequence on a track (the only track in the song). When I started recording it, the sound wasn't the lush synth I expected but a "naked" (default-y) sound, for the first chord (after count-in of 4 bars). The second chord was the expected lush synth though. The midi notes had been registered/recorded correctly though, and when playing the track back it used the lush synth sound even for that first chord, even though it hadn't sounded like that when recording. I managed to reproduce this every single time I tried.

I have an iPad Pro, latest iOS.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:53 am

Ayepad,

This sustain issue you're describing is very unusual, as no one in beta has ever seen anything like this with literally hundreds of hours testing Lyra. Is it possible this is happening only with certain Lyra samples? Or is it unique to a particular Auria project? Can you create a simple project that demonstrates this and send it to me? If this is some obscure rare bug, I'd love to find it, and if you know of a way to make this happen, it would be very valuable.

The aftertouch issue you're describing - can you send me an example project where this has been recorded? It's possible this is a bug we haven't discovered yet related to poly aftertouch.

As far as hearing that "default" sound, this is a sine wav that Lyra uses when no other sample is loaded. Is it possible that in your settings page you've got two different buffer sizes set for Playback and Recording?

Thanks,
Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:18 am

AyePad,

Also, with the note hanging issue, can you send me a quick screenshot of the Lyra instance that is doing this? Maybe I'll see something in the settings that looks unusual.

Rim

Ayepad

Post by Ayepad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:12 am

Sure thing.

I saved off a project file which can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pvfwt01f6olr ... erYUa?dl=0

Basically it is one miditrack, using the default sound of iGrand.
I just noodled a little, but the following happened:

* Before recording it, all notes hung twice. Had to shut down and restart.
* When recording it I started playing on Bar 1 in Beat 1. It only started recording a lot later. Have no idea of why, that one was new, hadn't happened before.
* I played it all with what I would say medium velocity on my external keyboard. It can be heard that the velocity is all over the place though. I then tried to aftertouch the chords I played to see what happens.
* The audio stops at mysterious places, as a result of reaching 127 on my aftertouch (I can see the amount on my keyboard whilst playing).

As for the weird start I didn't want to exclude that I had made a user error, so I started another (midi) recording on bar 1 of beat 13. It started as/when I expected it to start. The rest is the same as above, with the same result.

You can find a screenshot of the Lyra instance in that folder too, but as I say, it is the standard iGrand, without modification, so I would guess it is only of limited use:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0watgw26dws4 ... 4.png?dl=0

Oh, yes, as a sidenote, I did have different buffers selection ticket for recording/playing, before I did my test just now. They were both set to 512 though. For this test I set it to use the same buffer size. I might have changed it at some point earlier in my desperate attempts to work out what is happening, and when. :)

Ayepad

Post by Ayepad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:15 am

So, just to clarify, I couldn't record the midi notes hanging. I shall do some more tests, whilst recording.
The end result is of the example project is hardly usable for anything other than bug testing though. I should possibly record what it should have sounded like, as it is far from clear when listening back to the project. :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks, but I'm looking for an example of Lyra's notes hanging when using the sustain pedal, as this is what you were reporting. i know about an issue with notes hanging when using an IAA, and this has already been fixed (will appear in the next update). That's separate from what you were describing with Lyra. If there is indeed any issue with Lyra, I would like to try and find it.

Thanks,
Rim

Ayepad

Post by Ayepad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:24 am

Ok, now there is another project file called "Test_to_Rim2.project" where I added another track on that old project file. This time I picked "Cello - sustained", muted track 1 (with the iGrand, as described above) and just played.

It started correctly and I forgot for a few bars that I was actually testing aftertouch and sustain bugs, but as I remembered that I started aftertouching more (which then starts behaving like described above) and then by the end of it (it isn't all that long) the notes get stuck for forever and I had to stop.

Hope you can make something out of it. Let me know if there is something else I can do, or clarify etc.

Ayepad

Post by Ayepad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:26 am

Ah, and yet another clarification, heh. The notes hang WITHOUT me using a sustain pedal. I don't even have the sustain pedal connected right now. The notes hang for forever anyways.