Using Busses in AP

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

seachord

Using Busses in AP

Post by seachord » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:34 pm

I'm trying to use a bus. Have a recording in track 1. Set output to Bus 1. Set track 2 input to Bus 1 so I can use compression and record a compressed version of track 1.

However - as soon as I hit record, the input to track 2 becomes "Mic" in red. Obviously I don't quite understand how to use the Busses, and the Input/Output matrix (if needed for this) remains a total mystery! :mrgreen:

Just trying to get a bit of a handle on using the Busses - is this even a correct use of them?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Using Busses in AP

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:05 am

Busses can't be recorded - they only function during playback. The only bus that can be recorded is the master bus (you set the input to "Mst" to record the master bus).

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:22 am

What you can do in the above situation is solo your track and go to Menu --> Mixdown and use the "Import as New Track" function. This is essentially bouncing, so you can use it to "record" a version of your track with compression.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:13 am

Having the ability to record busses is something I would consider adding if enough users think this would be useful.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:30 pm

I think it would be useful :)

seachord

Post by seachord » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:47 pm

richardyot wrote:What you can do in the above situation is solo your track and go to Menu --> Mixdown and use the "Import as New Track" function. This is essentially bouncing, so you can use it to "record" a version of your track with compression.
Ok sorry but I'm a bit dense on this! If record a track into Auria from say... Launchpad, and would like to apply compression (or any of the other PSP Channel effects) I would need to re-record that track in Auria, with the desired PSP selected. With just this one track in Auria, what would the setup be to send that one track to another and get the PSP effects recorded. I have done this via Audiobus and an effects channel, but can't seem to 'get' in Auria.

Audiogus

Post by Audiogus » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:15 pm

I would love to be able to record busses! It would be very very handy!

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:31 pm

seachord wrote:
richardyot wrote:What you can do in the above situation is solo your track and go to Menu --> Mixdown and use the "Import as New Track" function. This is essentially bouncing, so you can use it to "record" a version of your track with compression.
Ok sorry but I'm a bit dense on this! If record a track into Auria from say... Launchpad, and would like to apply compression (or any of the other PSP Channel effects) I would need to re-record that track in Auria, with the desired PSP selected. With just this one track in Auria, what would the setup be to send that one track to another and get the PSP effects recorded. I have done this via Audiobus and an effects channel, but can't seem to 'get' in Auria.

Is there any reason why you can"t record the efx while recording the initial track? I personally would wait to apply channel efx until the mix down phase or at least wait until I have recorded a few more tracks to see how the initial track would sound in the "mix".

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:37 pm

@seachord, the easiest way to do this is to use the Mixdown function.

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:23 am

seachord wrote:
Just to add to what Rim said, the actual instructions are in my post that you just quoted - read it again :)

seachord

Post by seachord » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:26 pm

Richard - didn't mean to dis your help - it is just that I'm so 'daw-impaired' that I don't quite get how the mixdown will allow me to re-record an existing track with some PSP effects. :mrgreen:

I'm using recordings from Launchpad, and (sadly for my kind of use) it is a 'play only' app, so I have to record whatever I'm experimenting with. I've saved a recording in Dropbox, and have been using it to attempt to apply effects to.

The first thing I tried was to add the track to Auria - and play with it from there. I quickly learned how much I don't know about subgroups and buses! :lol:

I did try the mixdown - but all I got was a dupe track - and don't quite see how in the mixdown process I can enable recording - if that is even the right concept.

Next I've tried using Audiobus and sending the track from Audioshare to Flux:FX then to a track in Auria. I managed to get that to work once but haven't been able to repeat it... the sequence of steps to enable recording seems a tad arcane - first you click record, then you click Play... I think... When I went into Flux - I could see meters jittering but had no sound - this happens a lot. Confusions is reigning supreme on my iPad.

I don't expect you folks to teach me how to use a DAW - so I hesitate to ask too much - perhaps there is a site where I can get more info... The Lynda Aurial tutorial appears to be mostly directed at using real equipment - I'm just a tinkerer and will only ever using internally generated sounds. Maybe Auria Pro is a bit much for this - but I'd rather have too much than too little. Thanks for whatever other pointers you may have!

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:43 pm

OK, taking things one step at a time and going back to the original question in your first post:

You have track recorded from Launchpad, and you use the Channel Strip to add some compression. If you want that compression to be "baked in" to the track you have two options:

1) Select the track in the Editor Window (ie not the the Mixer Window) and go to Process -- Bounce in Place. This is a destructive move that will bake the compression into the audio file.

2) Solo the track and go to Edit -- Mixdown and use the option to import as a new track. This is more flexible in that it brings in a duplicate of your track, but with the compression actually applied to the audio.

Hope that makes sense.

seachord

Post by seachord » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:41 pm

richardyot wrote:OK, taking things one step at a time and going back to the original question in your first post:

[snip]

2) Solo the track and go to Edit -- Mixdown and use the option to import as a new track. This is more flexible in that it brings in a duplicate of your track, but with the compression actually applied to the audio.

Hope that makes sense.
Point 2 sounds right - but how do I control/add effects? Do you enable channel strip effects on the source channel, play and adjust till "right", then do the mixdown where the effects get brought along?

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:36 pm

seachord wrote:
Point 2 sounds right - but how do I control/add effects? Do you enable channel strip effects on the source channel, play and adjust till "right", then do the mixdown where the effects get brought along?
Yes, that's right.

seachord

Post by seachord » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:22 pm

richardyot wrote:
seachord wrote:
Yes, that's right.
:mrgreen: Big Thanx!