Numerous problems with Auria - HELP!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dvlmusic
Expert

Numerous problems with Auria - HELP!

Post by dvlmusic » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:48 pm

I've been working with Auria full time ever since Pro was released and I've encountered numerous problems. I've had to recreate this one project easily 5 times now and I'm running out of patience.

I'm running an iPad Air 2 and I back up and recover mainly to Dropbox. I'm using the latest version of Auria on the latest iOS (9.whatever.whatever). I'll have 1-2 projects on my iPad at a time as I have limited storage.

Here's some of the issues I've had:

1) Auria crashing after repeated Undos - had to recreate the project as it wouldn't load after awhile
2) Auria and iSpark MIDI getting out of sync - works fine in other projects and when I start a new one. Had to bag this project and start over
3) Using "Bounce Track in Place" continues to load Inter App Audio synth after converting to audio. Synth inevitably will have problems loading and the project will have to be redone.
4) Automation not loading - I click on the drop down menu and nothing happens. I can't seem to edit the automation and am locked out of it. Had to recreate the project
5) Double tapping won't let me highlight tracks if I have too many audio or MIDI tracks. The highlighting feature just straight up doesn't work. I have to use the Multiple Select option which is annoying.

There's SO much I love about Auria but man alive, if I have to start a tune over again from scratch each time I start getting a ways into it, I'll have to move over to Cubasis, which I REALLY don't want to do as I've already invested almost $100 in Auria, Auria Pro, Pro-Q and Turnado. It seems like as soon as I get more than 5 or 6 tracks running and the project starts to get the least bit complex, features start failing on me. What am I doing wrong? Are others having these issues or is it just me? Is backing up to and recovering from Dropbox corrupting my files?

Cpu Red
Expert

Re: Numerous problems with Auria - HELP!

Post by Cpu Red » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:46 am

I highly doubt dropbox is at the root of your problem. The problems i run into the most with auria crashing occurs when using IAA and i dont unload the slot and then kill the program and re-open later. Ive also had problems with unfreezing tracks with effects crashing the app. I feel like most of my crashes happen on old Auria tracks running on the New Auria Pro.

As far as having to remake your entire track, have you tried loading from snapshots when you run into an issue like this? Auria automatically saves your project at intervals and you can load from one of these, not losing as much work.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:11 am

Hi DVL music. Thank you for reporting these problems. If you encounter regular situations try to take note of what is making it happen and please report to the forum like you have. This reply has a lot to do with your problems in Auria Pro. Aurias team continues to work on fine tuning Auria Pro. The request of features by users has pushed this daw to a desktop level. Fine tuning this takes time and you will encounter some problems. However by letting us know you are helping to get this daw refined and working flawlessly. So yes some of the things you mentioned I have already encountered and they are being reported, so it's not you but here are some tips. Heres what I do to keep Auria Pro under control. Reboot the iPad 3 times in a row. Trust me. Don't use transfers to back up your precious tracks. So no dropbox. Don't use an iPad with less than 4 gb of flash drive space available. Dont edit durring the recording process. Dont add FX durring the recording process. Quit Auria Pro after about 1 hrs use and go to Safari and Quit Safari then return to AuriaPro, watch the cpu go way down giving you more breathing space. Instead of undo use delete durring the recording process. Turn Retina display off. Set draw waveform durring recording to Off. I record 16-24 tracks all the time on Auria Pro with a buffer of 256 by using these rules with great results and I've never lost a project using Auria or Auria Pro since I started using it by using this method. Not to say I haven't found problems like you've encountered because I have, I actually search for them on purpose to report them to Rim In addition if your using AuriaPros midi, remember 4-6 tracks of Fabfilter Twins can cripple AuriaPro dependng on the preset. Also slow down your tap as AuriaPro sometimes takes a second to complete the requested task. So slow down your workflow a touch. Don't try to edit or re-arrange frozen tracks Too often users load all the plugins durring the recording process then freeze the track. It is best not to load them at all and only load them at the mixing stage. Cheers and good luck. Stick with AuriaPro and learn to tame it while we strengthen its character and remember your on an iPad and he is a single developer. Your continued support is very much appreciated.

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Excellent post Anthony. Some brilliant tips. I will be referring to them from now on whenever I use Auria Pro.
By the way, are your Auria Pro tutorial videos still in the pipeline?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:44 am

Hi AndyE, thanks very much and yes my video tutorials are set to be released very soon. I have been very busy upgrading my iPad recording studio. I will be posting as soon as the final studio upgrade is complete this weekend. So ya maybe even as early as next week. Cheers my friend and happy recording.

dvlmusic
Expert

Post by dvlmusic » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:57 pm

Thank you for the extensive suggestions, Anthony. Most of them I'm happy to try, however the 4GB of flash space is a no go as I only have a 16GB device. I do keep as much free storage as I possibly can and usually only work on a single tune at a time. Unfortunately at the time I purchased this iPad my finances dictated how much storage I was able to purchase, and while I'd like to upgrade sooner than later, I haven't had the opportunity yet.

I do have the retina display set to off, and I have now turned off the draw waveform while recording. I did your 3x reboot thing and that helped a bunch - much more than I would have thought. I am sequencing synths less and less and am dumping MIDI to audio as often as possible. I haven't needed to freeze tracks yet, but I plan on using that extensively once I'm EQing and mixing more - at the moment I have hardly any effects (only when absolutely necessary) and no EQ on anything. I will also get into the habit of unloading synths before closing Auria.

I like Auria - a LOT. There's so much that it does right and with the investment I've already made I don't want to move to another platform. I just want to ensure that any issues I experience are either reported as bugs, or I figure out what it is I am doing wrong.

I'll let you know if I run into any more issues on this front. Thanks again Anthony!