Auria and iSpark no longer sync with MIDI

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dvlmusic
Expert

Auria and iSpark no longer sync with MIDI

Post by dvlmusic » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:17 pm

So I'm working away on a track using iSpark to play the drums ( I've programmed the song into iSpark and Auria is just setting the tempo) and everything is cool until a minute later when iSpark no longer stays in sync. It starts dragging the tempo and everything is out of whack all the sudden. I check the settings and iSpark is still in the MIDI channel on Auria and the inter app audio is running fine. I set it up so I can hear just the metronome on iSpark and the metronome in Auria and they're about a 16th note off from each other. Very consistent, but still a 16th note off.

This was working beautifully 10 minutes ago. What happened? Hoe to I get this back in sync? This is infuriating!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Auria and iSpark no longer sync with MIDI

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:24 am

I just recorded 3 mins of iSpark into Auria Pro with no lag in timing. In fact it was very tight. However I should point out that I received a CPU Overload warning during this recording. Why? because iSpark is very CPU intensive. I got this warning while recording into a new project with only one audio track, nothing else and the drum pattern was as simple as it gets, just hihat and kick for the test. So if you are using iSpark with your CPU already high then problems will arrise. This could be even more magnified if you have many tracks already in the project and some midi going on. You could provide us with more info as to your Project setup,track count,midi used,iPad your on ect...So the answer here is there is no problem with AuriaPro and iSpark, it's a CPU usage issue not a sync problem. Recommendation, try to do your CPU intensive apps first while your CPU is being less taxed. Remember iSpark is triggering some huge samples so your iPad needs to deal with that plus Auria Pro. Cheers and hope that helps.

Update. Do not insert iSpark into a midi channel if you have already programmed a pattern into iSpark. If the pattern in iSpark is running and being started by AuriaPro there is no need to have iSpark inserted as an instrument in a midi channel of Auria Pro. Just insert iSpark into a stereo audio track and record the audio onto that track while AuriaPro keeps iSpark on beat. The 1/16 note lag your hearing is because you have iSpark inserted in 2 places. Also set AuriaPro to NOT receive notes or clock or anything from iSpark. This is in the midi settings. If your thinking that iSparks midi pattern info will get recorded onto the midi track it won!t. So there is no need to have it there. If you want to trigger iSpark from a controller or from within AuriaPros midi editor then the midi will get recorded. But if your just driving a pattern follow my instructions above for perfect results. Still keep an eye on the cpu as I sail. Cheers.

P.S. And to be fair I ran the test on my iPad Air 1 with 6.7gb flash remmaining. Latest Auria Pro, Latest iOS.

dvlmusic
Expert

Post by dvlmusic » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:59 pm

I did the 3x reboot you recommended in my other thread and that fixed the problem. I will also dump the iSpark file to audio once I've got the parts created - while trying to build the drums I was using it in a MIDI track, but I think using Audiobus may help keep things smooth while I'm still writing the tune.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:15 am

@DVLmusic, glad your getting things under control and thanks for hanging with us. Cheers and good luck mate.
--_/)---*