Midi transpose makes notes disappear

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

AndyPlankton

Midi transpose makes notes disappear

Post by AndyPlankton » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:36 am

I am having strange results when using MIDI Trasnpose.

Sometimes it works fine, other times it seems to be transposing notes that I haven't selected (this may be user error)
I am getting a lot of crashes when editing midi in general, this may be something to do with my project as I am pushing the iPad Mini 2 quite hard with AU's and using the channel strips etc.....

What is happening at the moment is I have a particular note in a midi part, I select it, try and transpose it -1 semitone, and it vanishes. Undo brings it back. This does not happen with all notes in the same part.

Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Midi transpose makes notes disappear

Post by Rim » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:07 am

It's probably vanishing because there's another note in the place where it's moving to. If you move that other note out of the way first, you won't have this issue.

Rim

AndyPlankton

Post by AndyPlankton » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:43 am

There is no visible note where it is moving to. An invisible note perhaps ? There did used to be a note there, as I had a midipart of all the same note (closed hats), transposed some notes up by +1 semitone (open hats), and now i am trying to transpose some of those same notes back down -1 semitones. I have been able to move some of the notes back down, but not this particular note.

Having the ability to list in text form and edit the individual midi messages in a part would help here, much like you can do in Desktop Cubase, a feature request :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Interesting... Sounds like a bug, but I just tried to recreate this here and can't get this issue to happen. Can you get it to happen on any project, or just that particular one?

Rim

AndyPlankton

Post by AndyPlankton » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:53 am

I think I have found it, and it is as you said there is a note there already........it is my fault as I used Humanize after I transposed up which has created a very tiny overlap that is only visible when zoomed right in, which is what is causing the transpose to behave like it is.

Interestingly if I just drag the note down a semitone, it trims the end of the previous note to make space.

Is there any way that you can prompt if transpose is going to do this and provide a cancel if needed rather than the notes just disappearing ?, or give the option to trim the existing notes as if being dragged ?

Thanks for your attention to this.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:33 am

Glad you were able to identify it. I'm not a fan of prompts, but having transpose behave similar to other functions in this respect is a good idea.

Rim

AndyPlankton

Post by AndyPlankton » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:38 am

Agreed prompts do get in the way somewhat.

Something else that just occurred to me, the original problem was caused by me using humanize which created the overlapping notes......perhaps having a switch on the humanize screen to swap from allowing overlaps, to trimming tail of overlapped notes would be useful...I can see a situation where using a monosynth with a slide set could get unwanted slides from the overlaps created when using humanize, but at the same time those slides may in fact be wanted....having a switch on the humanize screen would allow both. Or on second thought have a function on the edit menu to remove overlaps ? This would then be usable to remove any overlaps, regardless of how they got created.

I know, I know...so much to do, so little time to do it :lol:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:41 am

;) Actually, overlaps are never supported by MIDI (MIDI doesn't allow two notes to play at the same time if they're the same value). That's why Auria needs to decide whether to trim the note it's about to overlap, or delete it. I originally chose to delete the note, but got feedback from users that this wasn't a great solution, so it currently trims.

Rim

AndyPlankton

Post by AndyPlankton » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:58 am

Yeah, I moved on from overlaps on one note to overlaps across multiple notes LOL, sorry i should have said.