Adding Reverb

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mollybloom
Expert

Adding Reverb

Post by mollybloom » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions concerning reverb which i hope some of you can help me with/give me your opinion on.

1) It appears (to me at least) that there are three different ways of adding reverb to a track: by inserting it directly in the tracks effect slot, by routing the tracks output to a subchannel with reverb or by adding a reverb to the aux fx and turning up the aux buttons on the channel. Which option(s) do you use most frequently? Do you use one option for one thing and another for another?

2) when using external reverb apps, am i right to assume that only one track can use that app at a time, so to speak? If yes, is the workaround to bounce the track with the external app effect?

3) Which reverbs do you use? Neither the standard auria reverb nor the convolution reverb seem to appeal to me, in fact i cannot for the life of me get one decent sound of the latter. I am probably doing something wrong, so any tips would be appreciated (also: i've read good things about goldenglue collection -- is that a thing to buy?). I also have a couple of other reverbs (Aufx space and Audioverb) but they also seem to not do anything good for my mix; they seem over the top, too canny and/or too bright. Again, it's probably me being an idiot with the knobs, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

richardyot
Expert

Re: Adding Reverb

Post by richardyot » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:59 am

Generally I find it's essential to add an EQ before the reverb, to trim the highs and also optionally the lows out of the incoming signal, so that the reverb affects the midrange only.

The way to do this is to create a new stereo track, set its input to AUX1, add an instance of Pro Q2 and the first insert and cut out the highs and the lows. Then I add the convolution reverb. You can then dial in the amount of AUX1 send on any track according to taste.

There's only a few convolutions that I like in Auria, Golden Glue's CreamyVox being the one I use the most.

Unfortunately there is a bug which means that most IRs from the web don't currently work, but the ones from the Auria store work OK.

BTW, I find that the algorithmic reverb (ClassicVerb Pro) is OK as long as you use the HPF control on it to cut out the highs.

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:38 am

That's a really good tip, thanks! I just tried it, and the trick about adding an eq before the reverb is amazing. There is only one problem, though: routing only one snare and one tom track over the aux to the new stereotrack (containing the eq and the reverb) i am already at 53 percent CPU, which seems insane since I'm running auria on an ipad pro. Is that a normal CPU load for that trick? I tried freezing the stereo track with the effect, but it wouldnt let me do it...

King
Expert

Post by King » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 am

Also, keep eyes peeled for Fabfilters 'Pro-R'. (R for 'Reverb') coming soon! to Auria.

Last info was that it should be with us by the end of the month (January)

Bonus! You'll be able to eq the reverb itself, (within Pro-R).

Hopefully this will sort out all our (Auria users) reverb needs.

King
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:38 am

mollybloom wrote:That's a really good tip, thanks! I just tried it, and the trick about adding an eq before the reverb is amazing. There is only one problem, though: routing only one snare and one tom track over the aux to the new stereotrack (containing the eq and the reverb) i am already at 53 percent CPU, which seems insane since I'm running auria on an ipad pro. Is that a normal CPU load for that trick? I tried freezing the stereo track with the effect, but it wouldnt let me do it...
Sounds like you must have your latency set really low. Try setting it to 512 or more, should be much better.

Generally I avoid adding too many effects at the recording stage of the project, so that I can keep the latency at 128 for tracking. Once all the parts are recorded I set my latency to 4096 and that allows me to add quite a few effects at the mixing stage without needing to freeze tracks.

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:08 pm

I'm curious about this myself. I'm not quite sure I understand the signal chain though.
Original track AUX 1 level knob (TRACK 1) ->AUX Input on New Stereo track (TRACK 2) -> Insert slot 1PRO Q2 on TRACK 2 -> Insert slot 2 on TRACK 2 is Conv. Reverb -> this track (level of signal going to it controlled by AUX 1 knob on TRACK 1) is summed with TRACK 1 at the master.

If this is true then this means the Effects Slots are in series, not parallel?

I don't have the PROQ2 plugin - can this be done with a channel strip EQ instead?
Thanks!
Jon

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Inserts are always in series, only AUX can be in parallel AFAIK.

And yes you can do this with the Channel Strip EQ. There are high and low pass filters at the top of the window which can do the job.

mollybloom
Expert

Post by mollybloom » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:33 am

Thanks you guys for your qualified input.

King - I am looking forward with great anticipation to the new reverb (even though I'm also slightly puzzled that the present options are so meager and CPU-hogging)!

Richard; I am actually at 512, which makes the CPU use even weirder. I just invested in an ipad pro precisely to have more freedom with effects, and even though it helped, it hasn't helped quite as much as i'd hoped for. Regarding the tip about waiting with the effects to after the tracking is done: that doesn't work for me, since i use DM-1 as my drum machine, and the only way i can get the sounds i want is by processing those drums a LOT. If i let them be as they were tracked, I will completely lose my feel for the direction of the song, if that makes sense.

Lastly: When freezing a track, am i right to assume (and hear!) that the effects are not disabled?

Again, thanks.

King
Expert

Post by King » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:15 am

"King - I am looking forward with great anticipation to the new reverb (even though I'm also slightly puzzled that the present options are so meager and CPU-hogging)!"

Do you mean Fabfilter in general or Pro-R?
I'm guess FF..

--------------------

"When freezing a track, am i right to assume (and hear!) that the effects are not disabled?"

The physical (so to speak) effects/plugins 'are' disabled when freezing.
The effect itself becomes baked into an audio file, which is automatically placed in position. (To gain acces to the plugins again, just un-freeze).

What I like to do is start new projects so I can test different aspects/scenarios and features within Auria/Pro (and other apps too). This way I can press buttons, twist knobs and click clickables, without hesitation. Then carry the new knowledge over to my other projects.

Experimenting can also be fun! You will always pick up new ideas/tips.
Extra bonus: some test projects become real projects.

Enjoy!

King
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

ErrkaPetti
Expert

Post by ErrkaPetti » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:42 am

mollybloom wrote:Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions concerning reverb which i hope some of you can help me with/give me your opinion on.

1) It appears (to me at least) that there are three different ways of adding reverb to a track: by inserting it directly in the tracks effect slot, by routing the tracks output to a subchannel with reverb or by adding a reverb to the aux fx and turning up the aux buttons on the channel. Which option(s) do you use most frequently? Do you use one option for one thing and another for another?

2) when using external reverb apps, am i right to assume that only one track can use that app at a time, so to speak? If yes, is the workaround to bounce the track with the external app effect?

3) Which reverbs do you use? Neither the standard auria reverb nor the convolution reverb seem to appeal to me, in fact i cannot for the life of me get one decent sound of the latter. I am probably doing something wrong, so any tips would be appreciated (also: i've read good things about goldenglue collection -- is that a thing to buy?). I also have a couple of other reverbs (Aufx space and Audioverb) but they also seem to not do anything good for my mix; they seem over the top, too canny and/or too bright. Again, it's probably me being an idiot with the knobs, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
I think Virsyn AudioReverb as an AUv3 plugin sounds best for me...
But, soon probably Fabfilters Pro-R will be the king on the top in Auria Pro...

There will certainly be a price differences between this two... You can do much with Virsyns reverb...

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:34 pm

Waiting for Pro R. Fab filter couldn't give specific details on the IOS launch other than maybe this year sometime.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:34 pm

It'll be in the next Auria update, which I'm working on right now. I can't give a specific date, but I hope to be finished in the next few weeks.

Rim

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:28 pm

Awesome! Thanks Rim.

pichi
Expert

Post by pichi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:25 am

richardyot wrote:Generally I find it's essential to add an EQ before the reverb, to trim the highs and also optionally the lows out of the incoming signal, so that the reverb affects the midrange only.

The way to do this is to create a new stereo track, set its input to AUX1, add an instance of Pro Q2 and the first insert and cut out the highs and the lows. Then I add the convolution reverb. You can then dial in the amount of AUX1 send on any track according to taste.

There's only a few convolutions that I like in Auria, Golden Glue's CreamyVox being the one I use the most.

Unfortunately there is a bug which means that most IRs from the web don't currently work, but the ones from the Auria store work OK.

BTW, I find that the algorithmic reverb (ClassicVerb Pro) is OK as long as you use the HPF control on it to cut out the highs.
Excellent post! Just what I needed to know.
I realize I'm late to the party, but I haven't had a problem with loading IRs. I used Funbox to put them into the IR folder.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Other thing to do, which works pretty well, is to split the channel in two, and put effects such as verb on one.

Send the output from the original channel to two busses. Leave the original channel clean. (Can also do compression, gating here, too.)
Create two new channels. Input one from the first bus, the second from the second bus.
Send the output from the two new channels to a subgroup.

Leave the first of the two new channels clean. Do the verb/EQ on the second channel. Now you can mix the dry and processed singles using the faders on the two new channels, pan them how you like them. Then manage the overall volume, and any overall effects/plugins, on the subgroup.

This gives you a lot of flexibility as far as mixing sounds go, and also helps create some fullness and depth, by having the processed and non-processed tracks to mix.