Consistency of manipulating regions

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

karuzo

Consistency of manipulating regions

Post by karuzo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:34 am

Hello,

Yesterday was the first time I actually to my use of Auria to the next step. Been mixing tracks fir several hours.

While playing the project, I noticed that I can manipulate some regions while I can't other ones. I was unable to pinpoint why as this seemed to be inconsistent. Sometime I was able to, and donee I was not. Possibly operating error on my part? Trying to figure out. Just to be clear, none of the regions I tried thus on were locked, and I simply tried to manipulate the length, and gain of regions.

Doron

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Consistency of manipulating regions

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:46 am

Some editing can only be done if the region is at least a certain size. This is done to prevent accidentally moving or changing region sizes when multiple regions are in view. To change the size of a region, you need to use the handles, and the handles will only appear when the zoom level is large enough for them to show. So first make sure you can see the handle before trying to use it.

Rim

karuzo

Post by karuzo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:29 am

Rim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:46 am
Some editing can only be done if the region is at least a certain size. This is done to prevent accidentally moving or changing region sizes when multiple regions are in view. To change the size of a region, you need to use the handles, and the handles will only appear when the zoom level is large enough for them to show. So first make sure you can see the handle before trying to use it.

Rim
Thanks Rim. I do know that. Even with the handles, some regions won't do. Seems inconsistent as some regions at one point let you do it and at another point in time the same regions do not.

Doron

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 am

karuzo wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:29 am
Rim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:46 am

Rim
Thanks Rim. I do know that. Even with the handles, some regions won't do. Seems inconsistent as some regions at one point let you do it and at another point in time the same regions do not.

Doron
This may be to do with the alignment issue when you have a high track count. With regions in the 40+ area of the edit screen you need to start to press just above the handles. As you get to 60+ you need to go even higher above the handles. If you have regions in the 80+ it becomes much more tricky to select handles.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 am

@karuzo, are you using a project with a large number of tracks?

Also, are you seeing this issue in the normal editor, or in the piano roll editor? Are they audio or MIDI tracks?

Rim

karuzo

Post by karuzo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Rim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 am
@karuzo, are you using a project with a large number of tracks?

Also, are you seeing this issue in the normal editor, or in the piano roll editor? Are they audio or MIDI tracks?

Rim
Rim,

Total of 9 tracks. All audio imported.

Doron

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:44 pm

OK, thanks for clarifying. For audio regions, if you want to change the length, there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. The length handle is in the lower right corner. It must be visible in order to use it.
2. A region can only be shortened. It can't be made longer than it was originally.
3. If you have trouble with moving handles, it's possible the handles are too close together. Try zooming in so the region is large enough that handles become easy to see.

If you're still having trouble with these steps, please post a short video showing me the issue. Maybe it's something I'm missing.

Rim

karuzo

Post by karuzo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Rim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:44 pm
OK, thanks for clarifying. For audio regions, if you want to change the length, there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. The length handle is in the lower right corner. It must be visible in order to use it.
2. A region can only be shortened. It can't be made longer than it was originally.
3. If you have trouble with moving handles, it's possible the handles are too close together. Try zooming in so the region is large enough that handles become easy to see.

If you're still having trouble with these steps, please post a short video showing me the issue. Maybe it's something I'm missing.

Rim
Thanks Rim,

I am aware of all these. I'll take a video at some point.
Could this maybe due to imported audio tracks?

Doron

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:06 pm

A video would be very helpful. I have not heard of any issues like you describe, so seeing exactly what you're doing will help.

The type of audio file does not matter. Once it's imported, it's the same as any other audio file.

Rim

karuzo

Post by karuzo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Rim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:06 pm
A video would be very helpful. I have not heard of any issues like you describe, so seeing exactly what you're doing will help.

The type of audio file does not matter. Once it's imported, it's the same as any other audio file.

Rim
Thanks Rim. I'll try to post a video in the next day.

Doron

karuzo

Post by karuzo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:55 pm

karuzo wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:26 pm
Rim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Rim
Thanks Rim. I'll try to post a video in the next day.

Doron
Rim,

As I was going to record a video, I was unable to replicate the problems. That being said, I know I was operating Auria properly and experienced the issues. If this happens again, I'll be sure to record a video right away.

Thanks for the quick replies to my postings.

Doron