Recording Amplitube into Auria....

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JimmyRabbit

Recording Amplitube into Auria....

Post by JimmyRabbit » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:32 am

Hello all,

I’m a Windows guy, been using Sonar for years. Wife bought me an iPad Pro for Christmas. Really awesome, just confused because I’ve been using Windows.

For instance, in Sonar, you insert Amplitube in Sonar as a VST and you can have as many instances of Amplitube as you want. I tend to use two rhythm guitar tracks, a clean guitar and lead. So, I need four tracks with Amplitube.

From what I read, it seems like you can only have one instance of Amplitube (or any effect) in a project. If that’s true, I don’t quite understand the usefulness of this setup. Not being sarcastic, just asking for explanation to understand.

Can someone explain if it’s possible to set it up how I described and how? I did buy both Auria and Audiobus 3, just to be clear.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Recording Amplitube into Auria....

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:35 am

This is only true when using older effects known as IAA (Inter App Audio). Apple introduced a newer system called Audio Units (AU) which allows unlimited numbers of effects to be used in a DAW. AU also supports automation and parameter saving (which IAA didn't).

Auria also has it's own plugins which of course support multiple instances, automation, etc.

Rim

Rubooch

Post by Rubooch » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:47 pm

For true "multiple instances" your best option right now would be to purchase Overloud THM from the Auria Store. AmpliTube is not yet available as an AU plugin in iOS and as yet there are no proper amp sims available as iOS AUs (except Tonebridge which includes an AU plugin and offers limited amp sim functionality). If you really need AmpliTube and you're using only 2 or 3 guitar tracks you could buy separate versions of AmpliTube (eg. AmpliTube, AmpliTube CS, AmpliTube Mesa/Boogie etc) an use those as IAA FX inserts on separate tracks...

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:07 am

It’s rumored that IK Multimedia is looking to bring some of their iOS apps to AU, but Amplitude currently is iAA only. As mentioned, I highly recommend staying away from IAA: it’s buggy, there’s no state saving, and it will likely only bring you woe. (This is from someone who owns the Amplitude app and every expansion, but no longer even has it installed on my device).

As suggested, THM Overloud fills the same sort of niche, and works natively in Auria much like a desktop VST. I think it sound quite good. You can also do a lot with the Fabfilter effects: the combination of Saturn, Timeless, and Volcano can create some fantastic guitar sounds. :)

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:04 pm

To me, this seems like a situation best served by Audiobus - although with the condition that the Amplitude tone is "printed" to the Auria track. It would be less like using a VST and more like using an external pedal. Kinda depends on if you are (at least close to) happy with sound you have per armed track, or you rely on tweaking the patch in later stages of mixing...
With AB you would just place Amplitube in the FX slot between your input and Auria output, then in Auria select AB as the input to each track in Auria you're recording to.

mdarby
Expert

Post by mdarby » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Given the limitations of IAA, which I agree with, I was looking into a couple of alternative for a song with 3-4 guitar tracks.

1) Freeze the guitar track with the Amplitube / Bias FX plugin as well as other effects such as compression and EQ. This frees up the IAA plugin.
2) Mix down the guitar track with the Amplitube / Bias FX plugin only, then apply compression and EQ to wet sound as part of mixing. This also frees up the IAA plugin but lets me adjust the sound further against other tracks and the overall mix.
3) Map the plugin I like in Amplitube / Bias FX (which may have come from the cloud or user community) into Overloud. The latter has fewer amp and effects options, but I could probably get close. If not, use Saturn which I also own or other AU. This eliminates the worry about single IAA instances. I just want it pretty close, and even simpler than that just to sound good.

Any thoughts on first versus second options? The latter is similar to recording the wet signal from Audiobus, but gives me the change to fix things in Auria. It adds an extra step but not too onerous.

Has anybody tried mapping a favorite preset from Amplitube or Bias FX into Overloud?

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:22 pm

+1 for AudioBus. The only issues might be latency (hasn’t been a problem for me) and you can’t re-amp because the audio is baked in (not a problem for me either).

mdarby
Expert

Post by mdarby » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks @supanorton and @wigglelights.

I used Audiobus to record a keyboard part because, in addition to the IAA issues mentioned, Auria mangles MIDI when tempo maps are present that change tempo / time signature. The good part of this is: it forced me to learn the part properly and avoid future fussing with MIDI.