Loading Midi AUs: (StepPolyArp Unit/QuantiChord/Autony/StreamByter AU/Physicles) crashes Auria Pro

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

-ki
Expert

Loading Midi AUs: (StepPolyArp Unit/QuantiChord/Autony/StreamByter AU/Physicles) crashes Auria Pro

Post by -ki » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:01 am

Auria Pro v2.20 crashes when trying to load one of these Midi AU plugins:
  • StepPolyArp Unit
  • QuantiChord
  • Autony
  • StreamByter AU
  • Physicles

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Loading Midi AUs: (StepPolyArp Unit/QuantiChord/Autony/StreamByter AU/Physicles) crashes Auria Pro

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:48 am

Can you describe what you mean when you say crashing? Does Auria close? When does it close exactly?

Rim

-ki
Expert

Re: Loading Midi AUs: (StepPolyArp Unit/QuantiChord/Autony/StreamByter AU/Physicles) crashes Auria Pro

Post by -ki » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:03 am

Is closes down and one sees the dashboard or whatever its called in IOS. Auria Pro is still accessible in the background via the multitasking guesture, but when bringing it to the foreground it only reloads the last working project.

I assume that these new MIDI AUs don‘t advertise an audio output via the AUv3 api and are midi only.

-ki
Expert

Post by -ki » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 am

Just confirmed that these midi AU plugins are still crashing with the V2.21 update - since it was not mentioned i the release notes, i didn‘t expect that the devs already had time to troubleshoot.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:10 am

I was able to confirm this as well here, but the crashing issues are actually happening within these plugins, so I don’t have any way of knowing what’s causing the issue. Have you contacted the developers to see if they have any ideas?

Rim

-ki
Expert

Post by -ki » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:12 am

I just contacted the StreamByter AU devs and suggested that he gets in contact with you.

-ki

audeonic

Post by audeonic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:31 am

I'm happy to run the AU up inside the debugger to see what is going on. I'll need a TestFlight invite or promo though. ;-)

Regards, Nic.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:11 am

Great, thanks ki.

Rim

audeonic

Post by audeonic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:39 am

With a TestFlight invitation (build 2.20 though) I have made a little progress on this.

First, the crash that @-ki has reported (and kindly showed me how to reproduce). This happens if you try to load the plug into the Instrument slot. StreamByter is not an instrument but advertises itself as such to support older hosts that honour the 'brambos' MIDIOnly convention for 'aumu' plugins that was adopted before Apple allowed 'aumi' plugins to exist. Unfortunately this crash happens before I can attach the debugger to it. Although the plug ignores any audio sent to it, it also never touches the outputBuffer parameter to its render block. Maybe this is causing the crash? Note, it does not crash if you load the 'effect' variant, but again there is no point in trying to load a midi only plug into the instrument slot. Auria should probably not list 'aumi' plugs in the instrument list and should also omit any 'aumu' plugs that sport the MIDIOnly tag.

My understanding of Auria Pro is that MIDI effects should be loaded into the inserts to the right of the FX panel of a MIDI track. I think this list should only show 'aumi' plugs. With build 2.20 I notice the following behaviour:

- if the Instrument (aumu) plug is inserted, then it does receive MIDI events from Auria but Auria does not do anything with the returned events and simply passes on the input events; effectively a hardwired bypass.

- if the Effect (aumi) plug is inserted then no events are passed into the plug from Auria at all. This might just be because I'm using 2.20 - not sure.

Neither of the above result in a crash.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Nic.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks Nic,

Auria supports both types of plugins in either slot. This gives users maximum flexibility. I suggest we take the technical discussion to email, as it'll be easier.

Thanks again,
Rim