Help Setting Up Midi and Q about touch sensitivity issue

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sutrobath
Expert

Help Setting Up Midi and Q about touch sensitivity issue

Post by sutrobath » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:41 pm

I have tried/researched every angle to no avail.

I open AUDIOBUS
I put SUPER MANETRON as the IN
I put AURIA as the OUT
I ARM my track to record
I go into the Auria MIDI settings and arm my track
I go into AURIA settings and turn on all the AUDIOBUS features listed.
I go into the EDIT function on IRIG KEYS and select EDIT, then hit MIDI, then select the #6 key and enter, as track 6 is the track in Auria I am wanting to record to.

Nothing...but I can hear and play SUPER MANETRON via fingertips and hear audio, although 1/2 the time I hit a note it plays, the other times it does not. I have tried touching keys harder/softer/at the bottom of the ke/in the middle of the key, etc. It is impossible to play anything for more than a measure without it not responding or responding for a second before losing the audio or, my personal favorite,n the entire keyboard SLIDING to the left or right off the ipad screen. They make it look so simple, but Im starting to think about going back to a desktop.

Not only that, but 1/2 the time my internal ipad mini MIC comes on and and I can hear everything bleeding into track 6.

I have the Manual, and I subscribe to the tutorials on LYNDA, but nothing addresses these issues.

On a positive note, recording using the APOGEE ONE into AURIA is simple and straight forward. Sounds amazing.

Washboy
Expert

Re: Help Setting Up Midi and Q about touch sensitivity issue

Post by Washboy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:44 pm

sutrobath wrote:...I go into the EDIT function on IRIG KEYS and select EDIT, then hit MIDI, then select the #6 key and enter, as track 6 is the track in Auria I am wanting to record to...
At a guess, this makes the iRig Keys output on MIDI channel #6. Yes? If so, there's no need (leave it on channel #1). Auria doesn't record MIDI data (yet). There's no need to match MIDI channel and Auria track number. It's meaningless.

That aside, I'd advise taking a step-by-step approach. Step #1 is to confirm that you can drive Super Manetron from your iRig Keys while SM is running under Audiobus - but without Auria in the equation, just using the default system audio in the output slot. Assuming you can hear SM in that configuration then you can load Auria in the output slot instead.

Try that and report back :D

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks for that rather crucial bit of info.

I went back and armed a track. I can hear my SUPER MANETRON while playing it via the iRig Pro Keys but....
1. I can hear everything else cause the ipad min mic came on, so I get the Manetron, the room, the tv, me, etc.
2. The audio level monitor for my armed track only shows a small signal. The app is LOUD in my headphones, as is the internal mic, but in Auria its barely picking up the signal.

So, yes, the Maetron app IS responding to my iRig, but the ipad mini internal mic came on and I'm barely getting a signal for the app in Auria.

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:40 pm

One more vital thing: when I arm the track I want to record, the internal mic of the ipad comes ON. When I turn off the arm/record button for that track, the mic goes off.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:13 pm

The mic being active on the iPad when you enable record on that channel may be because you have noramal mode selected in your Input Matrix. Select Audiobus in the Input Matrix which you select from Auria's menu this will allow the track to record from the audiobus output into Auria. If Normal is selected than Auria records from the internal mic or an audio interface. Hope this helps. Cheers. ~~_/)~~~*

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks for taking your time to help me-Appreciated.
I am on the West Coast of the US and am just heading out the door so I wont be able to confirm your fix until later-Ill post my findings when I return...

Thanks

Mike

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Just to add to what Anthony said: When Auria is launched by Audiobus it automatically creates a new track, assigns that track as 'Audiobus' in the Input Matrix and Rec enables the track too. Short of killing Audiobus while Auria is still loaded, I can't think what would cause that track to be reassigned as 'Normal' (i.e. Mic or external input).

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:04 pm

sutrobath wrote:...I go into AURIA settings and turn on all the AUDIOBUS features listed...
In that case, you probably set 'Audiobus Live Monitoring = ON'. This is what the Auria User Guide says about this setting (pg. 98):
"Normally the audio input from Audiobus gets routed into Auria's mixer, through its plug-ins, then out to the speaker/headphones. This kind of routing provides powerful flexibility, because Auria's effects can be added in real time to the Audiobus input. However this also adds an additional layer of latency, enough to be noticeable when recording live into Auria.

To eliminate that additional latency when recording, Auria has a mode called “Audiobus Live Monitoring” (found in the Settings Menu). If enabled, Auria will let Audiobus handle the input monitoring and bypass Auria’s mixer, lowering the amount of total latency when recording Audiobus.

Note: Be sure to mute any record-enabled Audiobus tracks in Auria when recording with this mode, as otherwise two separate Audiobus streams will be heard."
Because you also have 'Audiobus Mode = ON' in settings, I suspect that Auria is allowing Super Manetron to output directly to your iPad's internal speaker (that's why you're hearing it). However, because Auria is not getting input from Audiobus (for whatever reason - perhaps because it's not actually loaded) but from the internal mic instead, you hear the room noises, etc. plus SM. If Auria records any SM sounds, it's because the mic is picking up the speaker sounds, i.e. SM.

So, turn off 'AudioBus Live Monitoring'.

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:43 am

Ok-I tested the advice and no luck

AUDIOBUS LIVE MONITORING was turned OFF- Internal mic is still on.

I Do Not get an automatic track from Audiobus in which to record. There is the word 'Audiobus' in birght yellow at the top of the screen in the black menu bar but no track that automatically shows up.

Under SETTINGS/INPUT MATRIX I have 2 choices: NORMAL and below that AUDIOBUS. I have AUDIOBUS highlighted.

Simple, like brain surgery....

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:45 am

This cant be that complicated, can it? The iRig Keys advertises as a simple plug, play and record. Im about 1/2 tempted to take it out to the trash and just get a real keyboard with some good presets. This is just %&^%$%&* ridiculous and one thing after another.

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:48 am

I even bought the APPLE headphone ear buds today just so I could get the right adapter as one post said that you need the 3 band heaphone plug in as this automatically turns off the internal mic. Right.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:38 am

All the equiptment you have mentioned is all very iOS compatible. So try this.
First confirm that the iRig Keys is controlling a synth app, any synth app will do as long as that app is Audiobus compatible. Leave that app open.
Next open Auria and start a new project and then close Auria completly. Open Audiobus.
In Audiobus insert the synth that you are already controlling with the iRig Keys and insert Auria as the output in Audiobus. Auria should now open with the track already set to record and the synths name in the track name field. You should be able to see the VU meter for that track respond when you play your iRig Keys and of course its triggering the synth app.
This should work fairly easily. Let us know how it's going.
P.S. Also before you do all this shut your iPad down not just to standby but right off, then power it back up again then start the setup.

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks again for your time and response Anthony.
Yes, that did the trick and it worked just as you said as I followed your instructions to the letter.

Only question I have is this:

the synth is only in the bridge section of the song. I now have a new project with the synth armed to record in Track 1.
I need to record the other parts first so I know where to record the synth in the song.

Should I copy/paste the tracks from the original project I was working on when I was trying to get the synth to work. like the acoustic guitar/vocals?

If I try to record or paste anything in any track will I lose the connection for the Synth and end up with the old issues of armed internal mic? It seems that Auria is now armed for me to record the synth in track 1 and I am leary of trying to record other tracks FIRST and then going back to record the synth in Track 1 where it is showing up now because Im afraid it will default to the old problems and Audiobus wont work like it should when I go back to add the synth after I add the other parts that will inform me WHERE and WHEN to record the synth.