Learning Curve vs. Bugs

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Slam-Cut

Learning Curve vs. Bugs

Post by Slam-Cut » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:58 am

I used Auria only a couple of times to master a couple of pieces created in other apps. The app seemed to work great for what limited use I was putting it through. I have been eagerly waiting for Auria Pro (like the rest of you) and I really want to like it, but I am having problems. Some problems are certajnly related to the expected learning curve, and some are related for expected bugs. I haven't found solutions to certain things in the manual or on the forum, so I hope some of you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Is there a grid in the MIDI piano roll editor that can be turned on that shows the sub-division of the beat? That is, finer than just the quarter beats of a measure. I've been searching the manual and getting lost.

Every time I have selcted a MIDI region and pressed Delete, the app crashes. I think that I have finally learned that I must select Cut instead. Is this just a bug? After I restart the app after that crash, I get no sound. Consistently. It's just a MIDI track with Twin2 presets, no audio tracks. Closed AP down again and restarted it, still no audio. On the third time I got audio back again.

On MIDI track 4 I have a Twin2 preset, arm the track for record, press the Red dot and the green arrow on the track transport and get an expected count in, then I press keys on the virtual keyboard. Nothing gets recorded to that MIDI track. Can I be missing something here, or is that a bug?

This has been my experience for the first week. I get frustrated and go back to my usual app, extending my AP learning curve even more. Is there a sub-forum or thread for frustrated newbies?

I think Auria Pro will be a wonderful app whenever I get over the learning curve and bugs are squashed. Right now I am having a hard time distinguishing which is which.
Great job on the extensive manual BTW.

I'm using an iPad Air 128 GB iOS 8.4.1 and Korg Nanokey.
If that matters.

Cpu Red
Expert

Re: Learning Curve vs. Bugs

Post by Cpu Red » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:47 am

Hey bud, nice to see you over here. As far as the midi grid goes, if you select a smaller beat division for snap to beat then a grid shows up in correlation. Its the menu with the # sign. Try picking 1/16 and you will see. I just tested deleting midi regions with the delete button and had no problem, not sure what is causing that. I likewise have had no problem recording midi data with the on screen keyboard nor with an external virtual keyboard or my hardware controller. Are you up to date on the latest version of Auria? Have you tried making a new project to see if the problem is confined to just that project?

Funjunkie27
Expert

Post by Funjunkie27 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:00 am

Slam-Cut wrote:I used Auria only a couple of times to master a couple of pieces created in other apps. The app seemed to work great for what limited use I was putting it through. I have been eagerly waiting for Auria Pro (like the rest of you) and I really want to like it, but I am having problems. Some problems are certajnly related to the expected learning curve, and some are related for expected bugs. I haven't found solutions to certain things in the manual or on the forum, so I hope some of you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Is there a grid in the MIDI piano roll editor that can be turned on that shows the sub-division of the beat? That is, finer than just the quarter beats of a measure. I've been searching the manual and getting lost.

Every time I have selcted a MIDI region and pressed Delete, the app crashes. I think that I have finally learned that I must select Cut instead. Is this just a bug? After I restart the app after that crash, I get no sound. Consistently. It's just a MIDI track with Twin2 presets, no audio tracks. Closed AP down again and restarted it, still no audio. On the third time I got audio back again.

On MIDI track 4 I have a Twin2 preset, arm the track for record, press the Red dot and the green arrow on the track transport and get an expected count in, then I press keys on the virtual keyboard. Nothing gets recorded to that MIDI track. Can I be missing something here, or is that a bug?

This has been my experience for the first week. I get frustrated and go back to my usual app, extending my AP learning curve even more. Is there a sub-forum or thread for frustrated newbies?

I think Auria Pro will be a wonderful app whenever I get over the learning curve and bugs are squashed. Right now I am having a hard time distinguishing which is which.
Great job on the extensive manual BTW.

I'm using an iPad Air 128 GB iOS 8.4.1 and Korg Nanokey.
If that matters.
Re your problem in recording midi, do you have your keyboard set as the input for that track? Before recording, if you rec enable the track, can you play your keyboard and hear the Twin 2?

Slam-Cut

Post by Slam-Cut » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:37 pm

@Cpu Red: hey! Nice to be seen and to be seeing you as well! :o)
Thanks for that! Now that you point it out I see that it is obvious. I didn't even notice the '#' symbol referring to Grid. I thought that menu was just for quantizing. I guess it does make sense to put the grid control there. I was just looking more for a Grid On/Off button. I've been a little too focused on the manual and not doing enough of the 'just fiddle with things' approach. Anyway, that helps a lot!

I still don't get any MIDI info on track 4 using the Twin2 virtual keyboard. On track 6 I got Lyra's virtual keyboard to record MIDI notes just fine. On track 1, I recorded MIDI notes with my Nanokey controller, which is connected to Nave via IAA. I'd like to try using the Nanokey to play notes in to Twin2 on track 4, but I can't find a way to change the MIDI channel. I'm pretty sure the Nanokey only sends MIDI out on ch1, which worked fine on track 1. How do I change track 4 to recieve MIDI on ch 1? I spent the morning scouring the manual, and this info is probably in there somewhere, but I don't see it. I'll try looking under the '#' menu. :o)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:53 pm

By default, a MIDI track will receive from all channels (but you can change this in the MIDI Control section of that track's channelstrip, under the MIDI Channel section).

Can you try this with a new project?

1. Create a new project with 0 tracks.
2. Go to Menu and choose Add Track. Add one MIDI track.
3. Tap the Instrument menu on this new track and choose a Twin 2 preset.
4. Record enable the track by pressing the Rec button above the track.
5. Connect your MIDI controller and play. You should hear Twin 2 playing now.

Please try the steps above, instead of trying to get your current project to work, in case you changed some settings in that particular project.

Rim

Slam-Cut

Post by Slam-Cut » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks Rim! I did as you suggested and it worked just fine. I also put a Twin2 preset on track 2 and recorded with the virtual keyboard with no problem. Not sure why it was problematic in my previous project. Maybe I did accidentally disable something.
Thanks for the help!